Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry sort of going into administration

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They're looking to play their remaining home games at a different ground.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This is a bizarre situation. They don't own their stadium, and can't afford the rent anymore.

Wish them all the best, but where on earth can they play? Their nearest football league clubs are the Birmingham Clubs (+West Brom, Walsall and Wolves), then Leicester and Northampton.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The holding company that paid their rent has gone into administration.

This is similar to southampton's last administration, where the club itself isn't in administration, but a linked part of it is. That means there is no automatic points deduction, but the league can impose one (as they did with Southampton) if they feel the integrity of the league (the one that allows the venkys to run a football club, and Watford to circumvent loan rules) is impacted by the administration.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
In answer to my own question. Coventry City are looking to move to Rushdon and Diamond's Nene Park, if the have to.

Nenepark.jpg

If this arrangement falls through, they will look to construct 'Withdean style' temporary seating at Coventry Rugby Club's Butts Park Arena (currently one stand, 3000 capacity).

image-1-for-where-could-coventry-city-play-next-gallery-58852413.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nene Park is a tidy little ground. I enjoyed my trip there (helped by a win of course). They used to have a Doc Martens' outlet store on site, I recall.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Real shame as they are the only midland club i don't mind along with Derby. They are heading the same way as Plymouth i reckon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The owners of the stadium are now trying to get an administration order put on the club. The case has been adjourned until next week.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How can someone other than the club own the stadium? So wrong.

That's the case with quite a few clubs I think? Palace didn't own Selhurst for a long time, it was in the hands of one of their ex-chairmen, Ron Noades perhaps? I'm sure they must have got it back by now but it hasn't always been theirs. Some clubs play in council owned stadiums too.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Very sad situation. :down:

Nene Park looks pretty decent to be fair! The Withdeanesque ground would probably do for them though, considering their recent crowds.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When we went to Highfield Road for the last time a number of supporters were predicting it would all end in tears.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Pompey own Fratton Park either, Huddersfield may not fully own whatever their stadium is called this week.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Would be very sad if they ended up homeless, but if they start playing their home games at the rugby stadium I might head down to watch them as it's only a 10 minute walk from my house.

The owners SISU have seriously messed the club up by all accounts

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just caught a bit in the background on SSN saying they were welcome to play at the Rioch and the parent company was not going into ADMIN!

Something about a meeting at 16.00

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don't think Pompey own Fratton Park either, Huddersfield may not fully own whatever their stadium is called this week.

I might be wrong, but isn't it the land around the ground they don't own at Fratton Park? Or is that Palace? I'm sure it's one of them though. Or perhaps I just made it up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here