Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train fares to London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Away from Gus-mania,

Is it cheaper to buy train tickets online on nationalrailenquiries a day or two before travelling, or

At Preston Park Train Station, just before the train?

Just a one off journey.

(Some have told me before, it's cheaper even buying a day in advance online, that at the counter).

Cheers.

D

Deleted User X18H

Preston Park is one of the only bunkable stations on the mainline. Shame Balcombe is the other.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
believe you can get some of the "advance" tickets on the day either over the counter or book online and collect there. seems daft. staying off peak, both after morning peak and for the return after 7pm i think, will save. remember the travelcard if you're going across London, cheaper on the rail ticket iirc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We probably pay the most for one of the best rail systems - which seems strange to say but when you compare it to Eastern Europe, Africa etc.......

Can you tell me why you think it is one of the best and prove to me that it is?

I know you said you worked on the rails, but you do seem incredibly positive about our system. Do you still work somewhere along the lines?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Thanks.
If a specific train is wanted, eg 8.57 am to Victoria, is it cheaper to buy online before, or buy on the day from the manned booth at Preston Park train station?

You've no chance of getting a cheap fare on that train, you will be paying the same online or if you turn up on the day. All the £5 cheap fares are middle of the day when it is quiet

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We probably pay the most for one of the best rail systems - which seems strange to say but when you compare it to Eastern Europe, Africa etc.......

I have sampled train travel in a variety of less developed countries, but not enough to make a judgement on their infrastructure. I would say that they were pretty decent, despite being dirt cheap and obviously not having the backing that our country does. Odd to compare.

Do you think our health service provides a better service than say Malawi? Yes, of course it does! But are we getting value for money?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have sampled train travel in a variety of less developed countries

Same here. For example I was in the UK last weekend for the Palace game and used the Brighton to London service.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you use the rail company site (Southern or FCC) rather than the Trainline website, you don't get charged a booking fee, at least you didn't the last time I tried.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Same here. For example I was in the UK last weekend for the Palace game and used the Brighton to London service.

:lol: well played.

It seems the only people who have something positive to say are those who work for them (any of the *******s) and presumably they get free travel.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Can you tell me why you think it is one of the best and prove to me that it is?

I know you said you worked on the rails, but you do seem incredibly positive about our system. Do you still work somewhere along the lines?

Well (when trains actually run and run to time) its a frequent service and the track and equipment (usually) is up to a good standard. Better than some countries but much, much, much worse than countries like Germany, Holland, France etc - whilst the UK was making cuts to the railways, they actually put money into it. Not to mention their governments dont actually make the passengers pay for all the improvements through their noses, unlike us.

Value for money - weekday peak times - absolutely not. Weekends and off-peak times - generally yes, i mean £15 London to Brighton return (or however much it is) is hardly that expensive.

Actually, when you use FCC its almost like your travelling on a railway in Kazakhstan, cold, s**t and probably late. Kinda makes the above useless but then some companies are better than others.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If you use the rail company site (Southern or FCC) rather than the Trainline website, you don't get charged a booking fee, at least you didn't the last time I tried.

Another example of how shambolic the whole system is.

We're not talking about a luxury (concert or some sort of event), we are talking about travel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here