Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farewell Gus, thanks for the memories

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As it looks almost certain Gus is on his way to Reading I thought we should set up a tribute thread to the great man who has taken us from league 1 relegation cannon fodder to the verge of the Premier League promised land playing some exhilarating football along the way.

Farewell Gus, thanks for the memories.

:bigwave:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If Poyet decides to go, then the only thing we should be doing is packing his bags for him...It would show a complete lack of loyalty and an ambition driven by a wage rather than they chance to develop his skills as a football manager...he has A VERY LONG WAY to go and he is not going to learn anything at an "in-debt" Championship club next season.

He will never manage at the place he calls "Something special" by jumping ship everytime some Russian comes waving a wad of cash at him.

I will wait to see...If he goes, then it's good riddance to the judas.

If he stays and shows loyalty to the club that first got him into management and who have given him his own team and everything he wants, then I will be happy.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
good times under him , love the football style but will be tarnished if Reading is the special team he would only move for and because of the timing, 8 games left.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
If Poyet decides to go, then the only thing we should be doing is packing his bags for him...It would show a complete lack of loyalty and an ambition driven by a wage rather than they chance to develop his skills as a football manager...he has A VERY LONG WAY to go and he is not going to learn anything at an "in-debt" Championship club next season.

He will never manage at the place he calls "Something special" by jumping ship everytime some Russian comes waving a wad of cash at him.

If he stays and shows loyalty to the club that first got him into management and who have given him his own team and everything he wants, then I will be happy.

this my friend ....is the post of the day

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Cracking stuff.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Just to add to all the ifs and buts! So many managers have had their reputation ruined by chasing money. Martinez at Wigan is well placed to land a decent job after showing loyalty to Wigan last year.

Leaving a club when everyone can see its a money orientated move puts you back as a manager by a couple of years. Someone who's a bit clued up with a decent club, like Levy at Spurs, wouldn't touch him with a bargepole if he goes to Reading.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
confused.gif

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I can't keep up with this at all.

HAS HE GONE YET?

No, he hasn't gone anywhere, except to Barbados. I would think Reading have discussed a compensation figure with our board, as a result of that, our board have given permission for Reading to talk to Gus. Nothing more.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'd agree with much of that. If he goes I wouldn't call him a Judas, just lose respect for him as it would be a bad judgment call IMHO. Brighton are already once again a bigger club than Reading in every respect bar temporary PL status.

Unfortunately that temporary PL status comes with such absurd money that he may be offered double, even treble his salary, a five-year deal, and a huge transfer budget for next season. And that could do it.

And on the flip side, I am not totally happy even if he stays. His popularity will be dented that he even talked to them.

Gus has made quite a few mistakes as a manager along his learning curve, we have put up with them because we have had success, the football is great and there are so many positives.

If he goes now it is not only the play-off bid that risks serious damage. All the Spaniards will be unsettled, the whole playing staff basically.

I have no doubt that we would attract a very high quality of applicant, but it would leave us in a real mess. And of course that affects the way you think about the bloke. Brighton is more important.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
No, he hasn't gone anywhere, except to Barbados. I would think Reading have discussed a compensation figure with our board, as a result of that, our board have given permission for Reading to talk to Gus. Nothing more.

I wish you had been at the top of the other thread 68 pages ago. Could have halved it.

Thank you.

I fear for my sanity right now, i'm off for a lie down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here