Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom will have it covered

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Lets face it Tony is a great poker player, and to do that you need to not give too much away in words or actions
And an expert in brinkmanship as well
Clearly no comment about the situation is fine, didnt he do the same when Wolves came sniffing?

I am certain that should Gus go, then Tony already has plan A, B, or even C in place
I have total faith that he would make the right choice

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree, we may take a step back to go forward again but I have complete faith in TB. This is whether Gus goes now or when Chelsea come calling in the summer :rolleyes:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
its fine haveing a plan in place, but what you wont get is the ability to attract quality players from spain for nothing. also the new boss will not be able to keep the qulaity spanish flair we have here after this season. it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
its fine haveing a plan in place, but what you wont get is the ability to attract quality players from spain for nothing. also the new boss will not be able to keep the qulaity spanish flair we have here after this season. it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Unless he speaks Spanish and likes to play continental football...which he almost certainly will do imo.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Ulloa, Spanish D and Lil' Wayne will be on his list. Probabably Bridcutt as well. Would be a train wreck.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Whos to say Tony wont have all of this covered

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Whos to say Tony wont have all of this covered

whats to say he has? Gus would be very very hard to replace bearing in mind where a huge percentage of our recent players have come from. he is fluent in Spanish. its a massive draw for players.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree with the OP.

I don't think Gus would go, but if he does I would not be surprised to learn there is a short list of candidates to replace, and not the usual suspects.

And agreements/stipulations could be put in place to prevent him coming back for players, although that would not work, presumably, for players who came out of contract.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
whats to say he has? Gus would be very very hard to replace bearing in mind where a huge percentage of our recent players have come from. he is fluent in Spanish. its a massive draw for players.

When I went to a SOL meeting a couple of years back, Tony was asked the very question about Gus leaving. He said he would always have a list of 10 or 12 replacements in mind ready for the eventuality even if some on the list were not available at the time.

Tony is ready, you can trust that, and he will have all issues regarding player retention etc. covered.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Would tony be able to make reading or who ever sign any agreement that they can not sign any brighton player for say 18 months, if reading do not sign we do not release gus

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would tony be able to make reading or who ever sign any agreement that they can not sign any brighton player for say 18 months, if reading do not sign we do not release gus

Even with that we could still see Bridge, David and Vicente at Reading.

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
Lets face it Tony is a great poker player, and to do that you need to not give too much away in words or actions
And an expert in brinkmanship as well
Clearly no comment about the situation is fine, didnt he do the same when Wolves came sniffing?

I am certain that should Gus go, then Tony already has plan A, B, or even C in place
I have total faith that he would make the right choice

Totally agree, and it will be more evolution rather than revolution.

Think he may well follow Swansea's route if Gus does decide to go.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm reassured that Barber was in the meeting with Gus and Reading. Barber will be feeding back to Tony where we stand, and I do not expect Barber to be letting the grass grow under his feet on this.

The X Factor in all of this is in which division each club will be in next season. Our best players will be expecting Reading to go down and they will believe they have a shot of going up. However, if Reading stay up and we don't get promoted then you have to fear for our side, especially as the Reading owner has already shown he isn't prepared to spend big by buying practically no one last summer. Poyet will probably feel he could get three of our best players for under £10million, which is just the ticket for Zingarevich.

I don't know how clued up Bloom is but Barber is a shrewd operator, having worked closely with Daniel Levy whilst at Spurs - Levy does not mess about. Interestingly, Barber was at Spurs and was instrumental when Levy fired Juande Ramos and Poyet and replaced them with Redknapp.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know how clued up Bloom is but Barber is a shrewd operator, having worked closely with Daniel Levy whilst at Spurs - Levy does not mess about. Interestingly, Barber was at Spurs and was instrumental when Levy fired Juande Ramos and Poyet and replaced them with Redknapp.

Now that is interesting, I didn't know that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

We can name our price for contracted players (e.g. Ulloa and Bridcutt) in the transfer window; if they're prepared to pay us silly transfer fees, then good luck to them. However, any agreement to say that he will not sign players that are out of contract at the end of the season would contravene employment rights of the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here