Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bangkok

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Hi guys. I know stuff like this gets asked all the time but I'm in Bangkok for a few days at the start of April. Any sensible suggestions of things to do/see would be appreciated. Thanks.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Muay Thai at the Lumphini Stadium. Grand Palace. Jim Thompson's House. Chatuchak Market if you're there at the weekend. Eat food everywhere. Completely un-erotic sex circuses in Patpong.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Nana Plaza for a night out. It also has plenty of good clean and cheap hotels nearby:thumbsup: I 'd stay away from the Koh San Road if i were you, pricey, full of pissed up Aussie and Euro back packers (although you might be a pissed up Euro back packer!) and some of the cheaper digs are truly awful. Your better off exploring the sites off you own back using the numerous tourist maps available, as the Tuk Tuk drivers tend to take you to shops that they have deals with expecting you to buy goods - You don't have to buy, but it can get a bit awkward. Always use a metered taxi too when going across the city as they are cheaper!

Have a look at the Lonely Planet online guide before you go as it covers much much more than this :thumbsup:

I'm currently up north at the moment heading back to BKK for one night of debauchery next week before coming home :whistle:

Have a great time!

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Hi guys. I know stuff like this gets asked all the time but I'm in Bangkok for a few days at the start of April. Any sensible suggestions of things to do/see would be appreciated. Thanks.

In thailand now just did 7 nights in bangkok. Are you with mates, alone, or with partner?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If you do stay in Khao San area, I'd recommend the Rambutri Village Inn. Reasonably priced, nice rooms, roof top pool.

JACKRUSSELL

Jul 14, 2009
Hong Kong Phooey
You can take a trip up the river to Wat Pho to see the reclining Buddha. Jim Thompson's House and Chatuchak Markets as mentioned before. The Soi streets off Sukhumvit Road are good for bars and restaurants etc.. Have fun.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
In thailand now just did 7 nights in bangkok. Are you with mates, alone, or with partner?

Where abouts you at now PW? I'm on a bit of a tour of Isan at the mo - Different world up here, absolutely amazing though if you don't mind living without your creature comforts!

The true Thailand IMO.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Head to Sukhumvit Soi 11 for a night out. (It's a street close to Nana Sky Train station).

Great street drinking scene, loads of pop up bars (converted old VW Camper Vans) and amazing street food.

Was there over Xmas. Amazing city.

image.jpg

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

This is my old post from the other Thailand thread linked, detailing places to possibly avoid and then places to definitely think about.
Will be very hot in Thailand now mate!

I used to live and work in Thailand as a tour op bouncing around between Bangkok and Krabi and everywhere in-between.
If you need any advice on where to go off the beaten track or anything else, give me a shout.

I would suggest thinking twice about:

Bangkok (for longer than 3 days)
Samui
Krabi (Go to Ao-Nang instead, right next door)
Phi-Phi (Difficult one here, happily do the island tours but **** the group trip, pay a longtail driver an extra tenner to take you out for the day and see the sights without the flocks or rush. Also, only do Phi Phi if you do the overnight camping trip there.)
Kanchanaburi (Don't do this with a tour group)
Ko Chang (Too far out of the way and anything you can do here, you can do x100 more on the smaller islands)
Phuket (Worst of the lot, awful place)

Definitely Consider:

Pie (Next to Chaing Mai)
Chaing Mai
Kanchanaburi (NOT a group excursion, DIY)
Koh Samet
Koh Tao (Turtle island, great for diving and lazing on a decent beach)
Koh Phangan (Plenty to do here and do remember that the parties are on every night of the week, not just on full moon)
Koh Angthong (Marine park, follow Alex Garland's footsteps and find 'The Beach')
Ao-Nang (Alternative to Krabi & Phuket but not as in your face and rude)
Khao Sok (floating bungalows near Suratthani, top of my Thailand list)

Please get in touch if you want any info, I love talking Thailand!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
rather than taxi usethetrains skytrain metro link etc get somewhere near to whereyou want to bethen taxi it from theres Lot quicker and cheaperthan getting a taxi all the way Therea a airport link as well now

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
This is my old post from the other Thailand thread linked, detailing places to possibly avoid and then places to definitely think about.

I used to live and work in Thailand as a tour op bouncing around between Bangkok and Krabi and everywhere in-between.
If you need any advice on where to go off the beaten track or anything else, give me a shout.

Samui
Phi-Phi (Difficult one here, happily do the island tours but **** the group trip, pay a longtail driver an extra tenner to take you out for the day and see the sights without the flocks or rush. Also, only do Phi Phi if you do the overnight camping trip there.)
Ko Chang (Too far out of the way and anything you can do here, you can do x100 more on the smaller islands)

Definitely Consider:

Pie (Next to Chaing Mai)
Chaing Mai
Koh Samet
Koh Phangan (Plenty to do here and do remember that the parties are on every night of the week, not just on full moon)
Koh Angthong (Marine park, follow Alex Garland's footsteps and find 'The Beach')

This is sound advice from the experience I have had in Thailand.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Samui

Definitely Consider:

Pie (Next to Chaing Mai)
Chaing Mai
Koh Samet

Huge vote for Koh Samet. Loved it there. Only 90mins in a Cab from Bangers!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Weird. I hated the place. Although I was quite ill when I was there.

Depends which part you went to I guess? Just like pretty much everywhere in Thailand, there are good areas and crap areas. I stayed at White Sands and really liked it.
Koh Samet is good for 3 days max imo.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010

Look at some of the reasonable suggestions on here. We all know this is more than just a football forum. I enjoy giving out advice about places I have visited and the secret, not so well known places I have found. I also appreciate any advice others have for me. Therefore if you have nothing if interest to add, please do not bother. Thanks.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Nana Plaza for a night out. It also has plenty of good clean and cheap hotels nearby:thumbsup: I 'd stay away from the Koh San Road if i were you, pricey, full of pissed up Aussie and Euro back packers (although you might be a pissed up Euro back packer!) and some of the cheaper digs are truly awful. Your better off exploring the sites off you own back using the numerous tourist maps available, as the Tuk Tuk drivers tend to take you to shops that they have deals with expecting you to buy goods - You don't have to buy, but it can get a bit awkward. Always use a metered taxi too when going across the city as they are cheaper!

Have a look at the Lonely Planet online guide before you go as it covers much much more than this :thumbsup:

I'm currently up north at the moment heading back to BKK for one night of debauchery next week before coming home :whistle:

Have a great time!

Agree regards to Tuk Tuk, they will rip you off if given the chance. As said they kept stopping off at touristy shops but we never bought.
All they do is waste your time and money.

As well as usual Thai things to do, really enjoyed Jim Thompson's House and (cough) massage!!!

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I don't know why people bother with Jim Thompsons House unless you are really really really into over-priced silks - boring! You can get the same stuff in any night market for 1/2 the price or less.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here