Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Seems to be some money around for Gus to go to Reading this morning, he is now clear second-favourite and as short as 7-4, having been 8-1 overnight.

Personal view would be that this is a dreadful price and he would need to be certifiable to take a job that will mean he is a Premier League manager for about six weeks. These markets are also notoriously prone to bizarre gambles (Luis Enrique was backed to 5-2 a couple of days ago). But then, I've also looked at lots of lists of prices over the years and thought that the market has got it completely wrong, only to discover that it's the other way around.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't honestly think he would take it even if offered. Even accounting for my Albion bias, I reckon he has more chance of being in The Premiership with us next season than with Reading.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not much liquidity in these types of markets, it might have only been a couple of hundred quid that has shortened him. The answer will probably be found in one of their fan forums, has Gus said something that may be misconstrued recently?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus might be a bit mad, but I doubt that he's that mad. Eastern block owners with no patience, the sacking of McDermott doesn't seem to have been too well thought out. Apparently they have spent less than any other Premier club, what do they expect? Not a job for Gus would want imo.

Fortunately our fortunes have changed dramatically since they last poached one of our managers, and even he didn't really want to go.

Reading can do one.

Last edited:

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Seems to be some money around for Gus to go to Reading this morning, he is now clear second-favourite and as short as 7-4, having been 8-1 overnight.

Personal view would be that this is a dreadful price and he would need to be certifiable to take a job that will mean he is a Premier League manager for about six weeks. These markets are also notoriously prone to bizarre gambles (Luis Enrique was backed to 5-2 a couple of days ago). But then, I've also looked at lots of lists of prices over the years and thought that the market has got it completely wrong, only to discover that it's the other way around.

Bookies touting for mugs that is all

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Gus is definitely on other clubs' radars, but until TB gives them permission to speak to him, which he won't, Gus aint goin' nowhere!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If they are relegated they have all the infrastructure to bounce back up

Yeah, one of the papers was saying that assuming both clubs are Championship clubs next season then Reading would be a better bet for Poyet as they'd be buoyed by the massively-increased parachute payments. Doesn't always work like that of course (thankfully), as this season out of the top seven clubs only Hull are currently in receipt of any level of PPs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Poyet backed for Reading job...

I reckon we've got an understanding with Gus that he won't leave mid season unless someone like Celsea comes in for him.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Bookies touting for mugs that is all

Expect you're right.

If they were even money for the drop, I'd expect him to go if he got the offer because you never know when you'll get another. There are only 20 managerial jobs in the PL & several of those are out of bounds to a relative newbie with no top-flight experience. But they're not even money, they're 1-16.

That said, they still have to play Southampton & QPR at home, as well as Man City at home in their second-last game, when the title race will be over and Tevez and company will already be on the beach, or rested ahead of the Cup Final. They have away games at Fulham and Norwich too. There is a very good chance that they will go down, but whether it's the 95pc chance that the odds imply is arguable.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would be telling future employers he doesn't think can get promoted in our current situation.

With respect to Reading who are where we want to be in terms of league position (well not now as basically down but) and infrastructure, we're only a couple of seasons off that and taylored Gus' way with a Gus squad. Why would he leave?

Fulham at the minimum not a Reading. Bigger clubs like Newcastle who are below them not convinced by owners. Norwich might be his type of place but it's what he's building here. 10th/11th is about their natural peak he'd be trying to claw up a single league position every year where-as here he can revolutionise the whole club and is 80% done already. Would think he'd want to finish the job for his CV and get us up and survived (even 17th) THEN the really big sides would come calling!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
What Reading need this season is a firefighter. It may already be too late for them but they should be looking at getting somebody in solely to keep them up, then get somebody in longer-term. For that reason I can't see Poyet going there now - anybody coming in for him must surely realise he's more your long-term appointment. Unless they've already accepting they're probably going down and are looking to get somebody in who'd work through that relegation and beyond - and there are not too many clubs who think like that, especially as you'd be missing out just as the TV money goes through the already elevated roof.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Expect you're right.

If they were even money for the drop, I'd expect him to go if he got the offer because you never know when you'll get another. There are only 20 managerial jobs in the PL & several of those are out of bounds to a relative newbie with no top-flight experience. But they're not even money, they're 1-16.

That said, they still have to play Southampton & QPR at home, as well as Man City at home in their second-last game, when the title race will be over and Tevez and company will already be on the beach, or rested ahead of the Cup Final. They have away games at Fulham and Norwich too. There is a very good chance that they will go down, but whether it's the 95pc chance that the odds imply is arguable.

Would you say they had more chance than QPR or are both doomed ?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Yeah, one of the papers was saying that assuming both clubs are Championship clubs next season then Reading would be a better bet for Poyet as they'd be buoyed by the massively-increased parachute payments. Doesn't always work like that of course (thankfully), as this season out of the top seven clubs only Hull are currently in receipt of any level of PPs.

I don't think the massively increased parachute payments kick in until next year, ie under the new TV deal. But they are still a factor for sure, above all for a team like us with the stadium and set-up to be Premier League but without any recent seasons in the top flight. Once the new deal is up and running, it's easy to see a line developing halfway down the Championship in three or four years' time between teams that have been in the PL recently and those that have not. It's hard enough getting promoted at the moment, but it will be a whole lot more difficult for teams on the wrong side of it.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Would you say they had more chance than QPR or are both doomed ?

Probably both, but the odds suggest that QPR are at least twice as likely to survive and it should possibly be a little closer than that. If either of them is going to escape it is almost certain that they will need to win when they meet at the Madjeski, and I think Reading being at home is a small but distinct advantage. QPR appear to have a slightly easier run-in overall, but as noted already, Man City at home may not be nearly as daunting as normal by the time Reading play them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Poyet backed for Reading job...

Not going to happen. FACT.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am sure I heard Gus say "he is not interested in the Reading job" on the radio after the game. Gus is one of the managers I beleive, if he says "he is not interested" then he is not interested.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Gus is definitely on other clubs' radars, but until TB gives them permission to speak to him, which he won't, Gus aint goin' nowhere!!
If the Ruskies come up with a nice pay and compensation package, who knows?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here