Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's programme article about standing

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just got around to reading it. Very fair and reasoned comments. Basically he is saying SIT DOWN and giving all the reasons why it is necessary.

So the message to our North Stand fans is clear, and I thoroughly endorse it:
- Sit Down
- Stop assaulting stewards ... what kind of scummy Albion fans assault our own stewards?

I was always 100% for standing for games, but you know what, I've got used to sitting and it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

I guess you North Standers who won't sit down need to piss off and find another club to support. Crawley is just up the A23, Worthing to the west, Lewes to the east. Go and watch their brand of football and you can stand for the entire game. But please don't continue to stand at the Amex, assault our stewards, endanger our safety certificates and cost the club unnecessary money.

You might not like it, but unfortunately you're going to have to accept that this is the way it's going to be.

Sussex By The Sea
Jul 21, 2011
Just got around to reading it. Very fair and reasoned comments. Basically he is saying SIT DOWN and giving all the reasons why it is necessary.

- Sit Down
- Stop assaulting stewards ... what kind of scummy Albion fans assault our own stewards?

I was always 100% for standing for games, but you know what, I've got used to sitting and it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

I guess you North Standers who won't sit down need to piss off and find another club to support. Crawley is just up the A23, Worthing to the west, Lewes to the east. Go and watch their brand of football and you can stand for the entire game. But please don't continue to stand at the Amex, assault our stewards, endanger our safety certificates and cost the club unnecessary money.

You might not like it, but unfortunately you're going to have to accept that this is the way it's going to be.

:facepalm:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If the bit about how many stewards are jacking it in because of the abuse they are getting is true then my sympathy for the standers will evaporate.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

- Sit Down

Frankly when I was reading it I thought what a tosser. Every reason he gave to justify it was nonsense given that 75% of the grounds I have been to this season accept standing throughout the match in large areas of their ground.

He is using a rule that has no teeth to target people that he doesn't regard as "customers" but "trouble makers". And in doing so he will gradually kill the atmosphere in the stadium.

It's akin to banning all pc's because of illegal music download. Complete nonsense.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
A bit too strong for me,though as a supporter who has difficulty standing I do think it's wrong for others to stand in front of those who cannot - particularly in a stadium where the seating and views are so good,though it's also blooming annoying at away games,too.Does standing improve the team's performance? Is it a macho thing? Is it too much alcohol? Are standers better supporters than sitters?

But you can hear stadium announcements at many grounds about this. Seems to be the same everywhere. Will it take a glut of ejections to stop it?

Addition:- ah! Just read the reason. Standing improves the atmosphere in the ground.Missed that.Sorry.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
If the bit about how many stewards are jacking it in because of the abuse they are getting is true then my sympathy for the standers will evaporate.

If that is true then it is the recruitment of the stewards that should be questioned not the fact a few people stand and are not very happy when they are told to sit down.

Anyway, he has reduced non match day steward numbers dramatically himself and replaced them with signs. Probably the best thing he has done so far.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Is that true? Excellent news! We're winning! If they don't want people to stop being stewards then tell the stewards to stop telling people to sit down, then they won't get abused!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If that is true then it is the recruitment of the stewards that should be questioned not the fact a few people stand and are not very happy when they are told to sit down.

Anyway, he has reduced non match day steward numbers dramatically himself and replaced them with signs. Probably the best thing he has done so far.

"A few people" "not very happy" would not cause resignations on that scale. He's their employer, he has a duty of care towards them. The idea that football is somehow different from the real world is one that doesn't hold water.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

- Sit Down

Piss off.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's akin to banning all pc's because of illegal music download. Complete nonsense.

No it's not. If it were, no one would be at the ground, people who sit in the rest of the ground would be kicked out, etc. if you want to make a music download analogy, it would be banning random pcs for downloading music illegally because they point out, with some verbal conviction and occasional aggressive language that a whole bunch of pcs in the vicinity are also downloading illegally and they are doing nothing about them.

I also strongly disagree that stewards quitting because of the abuse they get from fans who can't seem to distinguish between people just doing their jobs as instructed from above and the people who make the policies and ground regulations is not the fault of the employer, but the fans who abuse them to such a degree it causes them to quit. And it will only make matters worse as the club are forced to hire "harder" stewards who are more likely to be jobs worthy, see fans as the enemy rather than the customer, and more likely be the sort of jumped up power hungry bullies many people assume all stewards are (even though the majority of the currently are not).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This whole dispute could have easily been avoided if the club had never stated when originally selling season tickets for the Amex we will turn a blind eye to people standing in the last 4 rows of the North Stand which they should never have done or state the travel tax as separate to a season ticket price.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
tell the stewards to stop telling people to sit down, then they won't get abused!

So, you're basically asking stewards to stop being stewards. Genius idea.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
This whole dispute could have easily been avoided if the club had never stated when originally selling season tickets for the Amex we will turn a blind eye to people standing in the last 4 rows of the North Stand

V. true. They can't keep quoting ground regulations/the law as being the reason for this and then saying that they are prepared to ignore it in some cases (back 4 rows).

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
A bit too strong for me,though as a supporter who has difficulty standing I do think it's wrong for others to stand in front of those who cannot - particularly in a stadium where the seating and views are so good,though it's also blooming annoying at away games,too.Does standing improve the team's performance? Is it a macho thing? Is it too much alcohol? Are standers better supporters than sitters?

But you can hear stadium announcements at many grounds about this. Seems to be the same everywhere. Will it take a glut of ejections to stop it?

Addition:- ah! Just read the reason. Standing improves the atmosphere in the ground.Missed that.Sorry.

I entirely sympathise with people who cannot stand easily, but the 'solution' to this 'problem' has been idiotic catch-all legislation which makes absolutely no difference to the safety inside grounds (apart from, possibly, endangering it by having people stand in seated areas when they could be standing safely in an area designated for it) and is merely a knee-jerk reaction to something which didn't solely cause the problems ascribed to it in the first place. In my case, it's about choice - I prefer to stand. I don't do so at home games but would if there were a safe standing area, which can be achieved, as Dortmund so ably demonstrate. We're paying customers, to use Barber's own term, but we've been denied the choice of how watch the game by idiotic, ignorant law-makers who'd rather simply deprive us of that choice than address what we want safely. You could improve the atmosphere, get more people in the ground, stop the constant conflict with clubs and stewards and open up that choice to people* simply by having a safe standing area behind the goal, especially in new stadia. But the authorities won't have it, and this programme piece is symptomatic of what you get instead.

*And, in the process, prevent people who can't or don't want to stand having their view of the game ruined by others who do.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I struggle to believe his stewards quitting numbers as the majority of stewards in my area of the NS have been the same all season - I beleive he is quoting numbers covering the whole of the stadium but making it seem it all the NS fans fault.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

So you are advocating that taking abuse for trying to do your job is okay then?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This whole dispute could have easily been avoided if the club had never stated when originally selling season tickets for the Amex we will turn a blind eye to people standing in the last 4 rows of the North Stand which they should never have done or state the travel tax as separate to a season ticket price.

Can't see that solving the problem and mentioning the travel tax is you just getting on your soap box.....So if the club hasn't mentioned the four rows business no one would have stood? The issue would still be there....all seems a bit childish looking from afar ...but then it's never bothered me so maybe I would think differently if I was a north stander. Perhaps the club want to be hard on this issue until we get our safety cert for the full capacity..just a thought

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here