Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George and the budget

franks brother

George Osborne is going to present his Budget today. I expect he will try and blind us with a lot of fancy rubbish about how his parties measures are going to generate this and that.
In reality it will be another screw of the mincer.:(

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That would be the same mincer he got put through by Miliband last year, surely he won't make it as easy this year? Don't bet on it.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
It needs to be a budget for jobs. More people working means more money spent in the shops and less paid out in benefits. You can't have growth without expansion.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It needs to be a budget for jobs. More people working means more money spent in the shops and less paid out in benefits. You can't have growth without expansion.

Yes, but not just part time and call centre jobs, we need quality full time jobs as well - Note, I don't mean to offend anyone working in a call centre, but I hope you get the point that we can't just replace the loss of high skilled jobs with entry level replacements. Okay, I may have just confirmed the offence. I apologise.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes, but not just part time and call centre jobs, we need quality full time jobs as well - Note, I don't mean to offend anyone working in a call centre, but I hope you get the point that we can't just replace the loss of high skilled jobs with entry level replacements. Okay, I may have just confirmed the offence. I apologise.

To a certain extent I agree however as Junior was made redundant from his part-time call centre job last week so now has to sign on (again) these jobs are very important and they get people into work and and off benefits.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
To a certain extent I agree however as Junior was made redundant from his part-time call centre job last week so now has to sign on (again) these jobs are very important and they get people into work and and off benefits.

Yep, of course - That's a shame, pecker up and all that. Important thing to remember is that any job in any organisation can be a stepping stone to greater things. I've ended up in a reasonable role having started as a sh*t kicker, despite being less than O level/GCSE (I failed both) educated....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A decent economy needs a decent spread of job types. A figure this weekend said that, by one measure, our economy is 70% service based. We need to change this and change it fast.

That said, George set himself a series of self-imposed targets when he got in. The stripping of the AAA rating means that he has now missed all of them. Like many of his own party I have little confidence in him turning things around. I think this budget will mark the end of George Osborne.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
A decent economy needs a decent spread of job types. A figure this weekend said that, by one measure, our economy is 70% service based. We need to change this and change it fast.

That said, George set himself a series of self-imposed targets when he got in. The stripping of the AAA rating means that he has now missed all of them. Like many of his own party I have little confidence in him turning things around. I think this budget will mark the end of George Osborne.

But change it to what. We can't go back to manufacturing, apart from high-end but that is a small market, unless we slash the minimum wage by a half or more.

Service economies are what developed nations become.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nothing he does will make a difference now. We have a divided society between the Haves and the Have no Chances, It's minimum wage and be grateful for most of us. Overtime ? no chance, well, only paid at ordinary time or time off in lieu. Bonuses ? only for those at the top end of the company, remember George does not want to limit bonuses to 100% of wages. I'd love to think that the cashiers at Natwest might get a bonus of 100% but no, they will be told they are lucky to have a job.

Too many companies are franchises and as such run businesses with a ruthless efficiency with little or no representation for employee's who are little more than slave labour. Often there are very few benefits or rights for staff, annual pay rises are not part of contracts and sick pay and extra payment for working bank Holidays is discretionary. Often these business's are highly geared to getting profits out of the country to avoid tax in a way that the franchisee's can make pots of cash asap.

Apparently, there has never been higher employment rates yet still very few people have any money apart from the few? Prices for utilities, food and petrol carry on rising, I myself had not had an increase in pay for 4 years and in that time petrol has risen from 85p L to £1.35 L

Today I heard on BBC Radio Sussex that DFS advertised for staff in a new shop in Eastbourne and received 900 applications for 10 positions. Needless to say, these will be on or about minimum wage most probably and those 10 successful applicants will be made to feel lucky to have those jobs.

Cameron's oft quoted catchphrase is " those willing to work hard and get on should be supported by this government...." but David, everybody is working hard to at best, stand still, but mostly slip further behind as wages freeze and inflation eats in to peoples small savings.

We are well down the road to hell in that hand cart and today, will be a further shove down the slope.

D

Deleted member 22389

Nothing he does will make a difference now. We have a divided society between the Haves and the Have no Chances, It's minimum wage and be grateful for most of us. Overtime ? no chance, well, only paid at ordinary time or time off in lieu. Bonuses ? only for those at the top end of the company, remember George does not want to limit bonuses to 100% of wages. I'd love to think that the cashiers at Natwest might get a bonus of 100% but no, they will be told they are lucky to have a job.

Too many companies are franchises and as such run businesses with a ruthless efficiency with little or no representation for employee's who are little more than slave labour. Often there are very few benefits or rights for staff, annual pay rises are not part of contracts and sick pay and extra payment for working bank Holidays is discretionary. Often these business's are highly geared to getting profits out of the country to avoid tax in a way that the franchisee's can make pots of cash asap.

Apparently, there has never been higher employment rates yet still very few people have any money apart from the few? Prices for utilities, food and petrol carry on rising, I myself had not had an increase in pay for 4 years and in that time petrol has risen from 85p L to £1.35 L

Today I heard on BBC Radio Sussex that DFS advertised for staff in a new shop in Eastbourne and received 900 applications for 10 positions. Needless to say, these will be on or about minimum wage most probably and those 10 successful applicants will be made to feel lucky to have those jobs.

Cameron's oft quoted catchphrase is " those willing to work hard and get on should be supported by this government...." but David, everybody is working hard to at best, stand still, but mostly slip further behind as wages freeze and inflation eats in to peoples small savings.

We are well down the road to hell in that hand cart and today, will be a further shove down the slope.

Your right. Nothing is going to change. There are jobs, but lots of them are poorly paid, offer no guarantees of future employment or progression, and 900 applications for 10 position just goes to show what people are now up against. Again situation has not been helped with the millions of people arriving in this country seeking work. That's the truth.

Labour will be making sure everyone knows what a failure the nasty party is. Facts are it would just be the same under Labour, no difference. And I'm sure Labour will spouting the usual crap about how they care for the little man.

Sorry but these politicians want to go job hunting, and see how demorlising it is when people keep applying for jobs, keep getting rejected and slowly having their bank accounts cleared because it is too expensive to live.

Last edited by a moderator:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's very important that the winners not only keep winning, but keep winning by larger and larger amounts.

It's the goal-difference economy. And not just the bottom 10% or so face the drop.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

One of the best posts I have ever read on this board
a short story about my daughters plight
she lost her job about 18 months ago, it was only a small job with very little pay, she lost it because
a) she found it increasingly difficult to lift (she has had several jobs in the past where she has been left to lift old people around in a nursing home (this while others sat and sipped tea or just did not bother to turn up for work) and damaged her back and wrists.
b) her employers did not want to take the risk of her damaging herself or the people she worked with
c) her contract was about to run out and they had found someone younger and fitter(and cheaper on the bare minimum wage)
after 1 year running from hospital to hospital where they sucked blood from her for tests they eventually have admitted that all of her problems stem from her Turners Syndrome and have also admitted that it is degenerative.
she is now attending a job club she has to otherwise she gets no benefits at all, she has been sent to several day trials at ASDA the RS hospital and loads of others from which she has heard absolutely nothing, ALL OF THESE JOBS ARE PART TIME AND THE PAY WOULD NEVER COVER HER BENEFITS
with her Turners she could go on to full disability but has chosen not to
every time she rings I ask how is the job
hunting going the answer is always in the negative

I ASK MYSELF THIS QUESTION AFTER THOSE PHONE CALLS
HOW MUCH LONGER IS THIS GOVERNMENT GOING TO KEEP DICKING HER ABOUT

there are no jobs out there not even for those who want to work

george please take a holiday

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Just seen the picture of Osborne and his treasury chums outside No.11, I doubt any of them have done a proper days work in their life or run a proper profit making business either which is where the problem starts. Eton, University, Bullingdon Club, Political lobbying, MP in a safe seat does not qualify anyone to be a chancellor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here