Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article #2 about Brighton and Hove Albion on 'State of the Game' website

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Hi again.

Well, a few months ago a wrote a piece for the football website 'State of the Game' about Brighton and particularly how if everyone is patient with Gus Poyet, he will lead Brighton to the 'promised land' of top flight football. After the brilliant result on Sunday, that time may not be far off at all. After posting up a link to the piece on NSC, I ended up getting the most overwhelming response to any article I've written for SOTG with nearly 100 'Likes' plus a whole heap of really positive feedback plus some really constructive criticism.

Anyway, I have now written another piece for SOTG about Brighton and specifically about the Brighton-Crystal Palace rivalry from the clubs' respective origins right up to the present day. I would be interested to hear people's feedback as to if I have accurately and fairly captured what has become a really compelling rivalry and one which possibly is not fully understood outside of the Brighton-to-London commuter belt and also if there are any nuggets of information I have missed out which would have added to the piece.

It is a long piece so I'll issue the health warning now, but I have broken things up into sub-sections to give a narrative through the decades. And now I will throw things open to the floor. Thank you.

Oh, and most importantly, here's the link - Brighton v Crystal Palace: A Brief History of the Derby that Defies Geography State Of The Game .

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Not bad at all. The only error I can see is that the Albion weren't at the Goldstone on 1901.

Ah thanks for that. I'd been referring to a piece that seemed to be imply they started there in 1901, but have now subsequently found something else that shows they didn't actually start playing there until the following year. The Internet is a wealth of information, unfortunately a lot of it is inaccurate.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm sorry I cannot be more critical. It is, like your first effort, informative and an enjoyable read. Thanks for writing it. Hopefully more to come.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Great article, i think you summarized it brilliantly as theres a lot of info to pack in

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very good. Only one point: the sentence "Up until the mid-1970s, Brighton and Crystal Palace had played many matches but did not have a rivalry that compares to the hostilities we now know today" should really just be "Up until the mid-1970s, Brighton and Crystal Palace had played many matches but did not have a rivalry." I'm old enough to remember when they were just another southern club and weren't on our radar, indeed in those days we had much more of a 'thing' with Bournemouth and to a lesser extent Swindon and Luton. I remember Fulham even figured for a while.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Very good. Only one point: the sentence "Up until the mid-1970s, Brighton and Crystal Palace had played many matches but did not have a rivalry that compares to the hostilities we now know today" should really just be "Up until the mid-1970s, Brighton and Crystal Palace had played many matches but did not have a rivalry." I'm old enough to remember when they were just another southern club and weren't on our radar, indeed in those days we had much more of a 'thing' with Bournemouth and to a lesser extent Swindon and Luton. I remember Fulham even figured for a while.

Thank you for this. I was aware of the bad blood with Bournemouth as that has been mentioned when the 2 clubs have played in recent years, something of resort based rivalry. Wasn't aware of the rivalries you mention with Swindon or Luton though. Interesting to know.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
good stuff :thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Good stuff Joe.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Liked the detail. I feel mention should be made of the REMF though. The platform where rivalries are put aside (sort of) at least one evening a year. Coming soon, to the Dripping Pan. Woodingdean Gull or Uncle Spielberg could provide the details better than myself.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Liked the detail. I feel mention should be made of the REMF though. The platform where rivalries are put aside (sort of) at least one evening a year. Coming soon, to the Dripping Pan. Woodingdean Gull or Uncle Spielberg could provide the details better than myself.

I think I know what you are referring to and it is a really good cause. If you or one of the aforementioned posters could elaborate on the event scheduled for the Dripping Pan, I will post a comment in response to my original piece on SOTG that gives further detail about it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
good read but I think you meant 'decamp' rather than 'decant'

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think I know what you are referring to and it is a really good cause. If you or one of the aforementioned posters could elaborate on the event scheduled for the Dripping Pan, I will post a comment in response to my original piece on SOTG that gives further detail about it.

I'm afraid I am not involved enough to know all the details. My point was more along the line that, despite this fierce rivalry there are occasions when both sets of supporters come together with a common goal, and all differences are put aside.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I'm afraid I am not involved enough to know all the details. My point was more along the line that, despite this fierce rivalry there are occasions when both sets of supporters come together with a common goal, and all differences are put aside.

I have added a comment at the end of the piece making reference to this year's REMF match, providing details of the date and venue.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bloody excellent, enjoyable read. A lot of ground is covered too.

Reading back, I think using the term Eagles in reference to Palace in the inter-war period is anachronistic as I don't think Palace were known as that at the time. They were definitely 'the Glaziers' when Malcolm Allison first took charge.

Also, referring to 1974 and saying Taylor went to Forest suggests he left in 1975 when it was actually in the summer of 1976.

These are very minor points and don't detract from the quality of writing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here