Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Owen NOT coming to Brighton Shocker!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
new striker alert

it wont be owen,fact,just anounced his last season playing

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Can't say I'm surprised. At least we won't get the usual silly stuff about him coming here in the next transfer window.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheeky loan deal until May?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
His last season was about 4 years ago wasn't it? He has still be drawing wages that most of us can only dream about.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seen this? Paddy Power don't seem to like him...and this behaviour is a bit odd.

[video]http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/03/19/how-twitter-reacted-to-michael-owens-retirement/?AFF_ID=16562[/video]

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
Owen left Liverpool in 2004, with the attitude of being bigger than the club. Look what happened to them the following season and most would say his career has been on a downward spiral since. It's always a shame to see a supremely talented player peak at 24 and his attitude to our league last year, when he was clearly desperate to play at a decent level of football, kind of sums him up. He would never come here to end his career and I wouldn't want him here either. Should have broken Bobby Charlton's record years ago, but ego and injury got the better of him.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Michael Owen's career didn't go downhill because he left Liverpool, it went downhill because he kept getting injured. People laugh at him because he left Liverpool and a year later they won the Champions League, but who seriously would envisaged that would happen back in 2004 and it wasn't as though he left Liverpool to go some no-hopers, he joined Real Madrid who at the time were inundated with top quality players. Many footballers would have made exactly the same move at that time.

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
So why did he leave Liverpool? They weren't exactly mid-table fodder that they are now. And what are your thoughts to my second point about dissing the Championship last May?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
So why did he leave Liverpool? They weren't exactly mid-table fodder that they are now. And what are your thoughts to my second point about dissing the Championship last May?

I think you get some players that love football, others that love winning and others love the monetary reward. I'd say Michael Owen ticks the last two boxes, but less so the first one. He has other interests outside the game now, business interests and also his horse breeding and seemingly his passion for those is greater than his desire to drop down the divisions in the way that some players have done in the past, say Peter Beardsley at Hartlepool for example. I think his last move to Stoke was partly motivated by the fact that he would be 30 minutes drive from his stables and with it becoming increasingly clear he was only a bit-part player for them, he's decided to call it quits.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Such a shame about all the injuries. I was certain he'd break Bobby Charlton's record.

That goal against Argentina will live long in the memory!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here