Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I love Adam el Abd for his aggression and last minute diving in to block shots but I have to say that even though Palace weren't at their best even with three centre forwards on the pitch our defence seemed a much calmer place yesterday with Upson and Greer paired together.

Altogether less frenetic and (Upson's wake-up header for Kuzsczak apart) we seemed better organised and not so prone to dropping too deep.

One game I know but promising.....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I love Adam el Abd for his aggression and last minute diving in to block shots but I have to say that even though Palace weren't at their best even with three centre forwards on the pitch our defence seemed a much calmer place yesterday with Upson and Greer paired together.

Altogether less frenetic and (Upson's wake-up header for Kuzsczak apart) we seemed better organised and not so prone to dropping too deep.

Agreed

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Greer is the best centre back I have ever seen play for Brighton and Hove Albion.

I was a massive fan of Danny Cullip, the previous holder of the title, but Greer is so much better in almost every department. If he would threaten in the opponents box he would be the perfect centre back.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This is where Bridcutt needs to get a lot of credit .. he protects our centre 2 incredibly well. In saying that GG had a good game and I can't deny I worry about El-Abd (perhaps unnecessarily) but he will make maximum use of his arms and that worries me with the inconsistency of referees.

Dunno, it's a tough one

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Greer's best game this season was against palace but he's been poor to average for the other games he played earlier in the season IMO. Looked like he needed a break from the team to focus, and despite the fact I personally prefer AEA I hope Greer keeps up to the same level as Sunday.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
pasted from the other one!!

This is where Bridcutt needs to get a lot of credit .. he protects our centre 2 incredibly well. In saying that GG had a good game and I can't deny I worry about El-Abd (perhaps unnecessarily) but he will make maximum use of his arms and that worries me with the inconsistency of referees.

Dunno, it's a tough one

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Greer is the best centre back I have ever seen play for Brighton and Hove Albion.

I was a massive fan of Danny Cullip, the previous holder of the title, but Greer is so much better in almost every department. If he would threaten in the opponents box he would be the perfect centre back.

Cullip, Morgan and Dean Blackwell would all be ahead of Greer for me. Cullip was a more dominant and athletic player in the back four, Simon Morgan was pure class albeit a level lower than the Championship for us. And Dean Blackwell although he only played twenty odd games from memory was fantastic alongside Cullip & Ingimarrson in tightening up our defense under Coppell ten years ago.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I agree that Greer is about as good as we've ever had and I would always play him ahead of El-Abd.

El-Abd is great for winding people up but that isn't always the most important thing in a game. When it works we get a little boost from him dominating the strikers, when it doesn't it looks like we might give away penalties from every attack/corner.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cullip, Morgan and Dean Blackwell would all be ahead of Greer for me. Cullip was a more dominant and athletic player in the back four, Simon Morgan was pure class albeit a level lower than the Championship for us. And Dean Blackwell although he only played twenty odd games from memory was fantastic alongside Cullip & Ingimarrson in tightening up our defense under Coppell ten years ago.

It is very easy to make a real case for all 3, no arguments from me. But I think Greer is the best considering what we've achieved with him in the side, and as the captain. Cullip left too soon, and he was more of a classic centre back. I loved his all action style and he was fantastic in both boxes, but as a player I would say Greer is better than Cullip overall.

As for Simon Morgan, I remember him being nothing short of wonderful but that was in League 1, a league Greer also excelled in as we won the league. Blackwell was only here for a season and therefore I find it tough to praise him too highly. Ingimarsson is the same, if he'd been here a bit longer then he would be a massive shout.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

You quite clearly never saw Ashley Neal, genius he was!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would put Greer above Cullip and also Blackwell, Butters,Morgan Ingamarsion, Foster Whitfield Jennings Lawrenson Stevens Cross Burnett, so would struggle to put Cullip in the top 10.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Over what period are you talking about?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Over what period are you talking about?

Since 1997/1998. Gary Hobson and Ross Johnson were a dangerous pairing to be fair, and then there was big Keith McPherson. In all seriousness actually, we mustn't forget Ian Culverhouse. He was decent, but we're talking about players in the bottom tier. You have to go back quite a way to talk about players who played at this level for us. Naturally there will be plenty of people who will talk about Mark Lawrenson, and I would imagine he is technically the best centre back we've ever had.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree that he's a great defender but his CONTINUOUS abuse of Calderon is completely unnecessary and unjustified. Luckily Calderon completely ignores him.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I don't think I will ever see a better, calmer centre back than Simon Morgan at The Albion but Greer is certainly up there in the chasing pack, as well as El-Abd has played I feel more comfortable with Greer & Upson, they are both less prone to that liability moment.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I think Greer is very good but has a way to go before he can be compared to the likes of Foster, Stevens and of course Lawrenson who for me is still the best player I have ever seen in a Brighton shirt. Having said all that I do think this side is close to being overall the best team. I realise always hard to compare teams from different eras.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here