Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford punished by FL: Transfer embargo but no points deduction

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Runs until the end of the summer transfer window -- 31 August 2013

No idea what happens if they make it to the Premiership .

They get a number of people in on loan?

Edit: Just checked and embargoes do cover all players, not just permanent transfers.

In that case, if they were to be promoted they'd lose all the loan players in the summer and have the barebones for the start of the season, surely?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am sure a few clubs will be looking at legal options if Watford go up.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Should just deduct points, that embargo basically condemns them to relegation if they go up anyway, that said at least they would have parachute payments.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Reading the story on the BBC website I find it odd that a points deduction has not been applied, either now or as a suspended sentence. The FL said that Watford HAD gained a competitive advantage by signing 8 players when they should have been under an embargo but still decided not to hit them with any meaningful sanction, very odd.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Under the terms of the embargo, Watford can still sign players with prior permission from league officials.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Does seem strange, whats the point of the embargo if they can still sign players?

You trip a ref at the end of the game and you get a 7 match ban. I know different crimes but the punishment doesn't seem even.

Watford4ever

Jan 9, 2011
Its a wonder how Bassini was allowed to take over in the first place having had a history of being bankrupt.

I wonder if we'd be mid-table if the points deducation might have taken place?

Seems we cannot buy unless the league agree to it...doesn't that happen with all transfers as such?

Has to go through the league in terms of registering the new player?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Its a wonder how Bassini was allowed to take over in the first place having had a history of being bankrupt.

I wonder if we'd be mid-table if the points deducation might have taken place?

Seems we cannot buy unless the league agree to it...doesn't that happen with all transfers as such?

Has to go through the league in terms of registering the new player?

Why would the league not agree to it? They'll just make sure that you've got the money to pay which is pretty well what all clubs do anyway.

Get out of jail card used?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Seems like the FL rule book has more loop holes than a loop with holes in it!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A pretty lame punishment but that's probably due to the fact Watford haven't actually done anything wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have either broken the rules to gain an advantage which has put them in the promotion race or they haven't there can be no half measures. If they have it should carry a points deduction as they have obtained them illegally or if they haven't nothing should happen seems very simple to me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After the goings on in the farce that is Portsmouth, is anyone even vaguely suprised that this Watford sanction is so wishy washy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here