Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The first goal was the most BEAUTIFUL to me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Firstly, let me put say that the 2nd goal by Lopez was just SUBLIME. A moment of individual BRILLIANCE and the cushioned header by Orlandi, and the build up to the 3rd was LOVELY.

However I was just FILLED with joy in seeing Ulloa's first.

Let me get this out there immediately. I bloody LOVE CMS. I can't NOT like a player who tries so bloody hard. Even if he couldn't physically pass the ball (not saying he can't) I can't get angry at someone who will run himself into the ground for the team.

However Ulloa's first goal summed up a new element/option that (even if we don't go up this year) will help us massivly for the whole of next. Buckley was, frankly, in a pretty poor crossing position. It looked as though he was running out of space. However now with the BRILLIANT argie in the team he knows he doesn't need PACE or WHIP on a ball in to the box. Worst case scenario you now know you can just LIFT it to the back post. No pace nothing. Just LOFT IT.

It turns the contest into a straight 50/50 between Ulloa and the defender and it was a joy to see him head it onto his own leg and in (on purpose, of course). His goal away at Barnsley was similar, but it just filled me with JOY.

I love the way we play and i'm certainly not saying go long. NO WAY. But the joy it brings to see a cross put in and us GENUINLY have a chance of winning the header makes me SO happy.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Don't forget it was ULLOA who flicked a header on on the halfway line to release BUCKLEY in the first place. Then he GALLOPED to the far post, and we know the rest...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wise words riskit. Very satisfying.

He's just a very different option to CMS and it has to be said he is far better. Perhaps not as mobile and won't score worldies like CMS very occasionally does, but he's no nonsense up front, has better vision from a more withdrawn position and seems to bring others into the game more effectively. He's exactly what we've been missing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Don't forget it was ULLOA who flicked a header on on the halfway line to release BUCKLEY in the first place. Then he GALLOPED to the far post, and we know the rest...

The moment he did that we all said "and THAT'S why we should play long ball with a big man"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He's just a very different option to CMS and it has to be said he is far better. Perhaps not as mobile and won't score worldies like CMS very occasionally does, but he's no nonsense up front, has better vision from a more withdrawn position and seems to bring others into the game more effectively. He's exactly what we've been missing.

He got better and better yesterday, before then being shattered for the final 10-15mins. He is so clever with his head, a couple of his flick ons were so well directed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

This is the bit that I hadn't realised at the time....having played it for the umpteenth time I can easily say this is not a goal we would have got earlier in the season....the leap and flick on to Buckley ...the ground he made in getting to that far post and then his physical presence to bundle it in. Each goal was special in its own way...but now upon reflection this is the best

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Not forgetting his defensive duties too

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I agree about helping us next season. Having Ulloa with a full pre-season behind him and 'knowing' the way we play from the off will be magical. Even if going up this year is an outside shot, next season we'll be looking very good.

Ulloa offers us something else. He's a striker who can score a header and win defensive ones as well, the way Zamora and Murray did. He's also big and strong and a handful to cope with - but not a handful in the McCammon or Iwelumo mould, in the Tevez or Drogba way. Obviously the comparison has it's inaccuracies :)lolol:) but what I'm saying is he offers a touch of class as well as a physicality which makes him a handful. Look at his third against Hudds and his first against Palace - totally different goals but good examples of the type of player he is.

I love him. I am so in love with him he's getting his name on my shirt. I've not done that since Zamora. The guy is an all round hero.

NB: His first goal was a fine example of his ability to find the net, but the most beautiful goal was the third. Tippy tappy football working it into a fantastic position and then just putting your googling laces through it when it was time too. I don't think I'll ever get bored of watching it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Ulloa has a great first touch, holds the ball up well and he always seems to be in a dangerous place in the opposition box. CMS is going to have to seriously improve his overall game (excluding his willingness to run flat out for 90 minutes which isn't enough) if he wants to fight for a starting place.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Ulloa just offers us something completely different to what we had. He's wins flick ons, his first touch and close control are superb at times, he is good in the air. If we give him chances he will score goals which is very, very pleasing.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think both of his goals showed the new dimensions he brings to our team. First goal = long ball flick on, runs in the box to bag the heater. Second goal = slick passing move from a short free kick resulting in a tap in.

Excellent signing.

Just don't let him go to palace :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ulloa has a great first touch, holds the ball up well and he always seems to be in a dangerous place in the opposition box. CMS is going to have to seriously improve his overall game (excluding his willingness to run flat out for 90 minutes which isn't enough) if he wants to fight for a starting place.

In fairness, CMS is exactly the player we all thought he was before we signed him. It's just that we paid well over the odds for him, and he is paying for his inability to control the ball with his back to goal or bring other players into attack.

Would I rather have Murray than CMS? Yes, yes I would. But neither player are anything like as valuable as Ulloa. And I predict Ulloa will do the business for us if we go up. He will be the same sort of level and style as Darren Bent in his prime, imo.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
And I know that the "He plays football with a smile on his face" line is simultraneously trite, condescending and very annoying, but it's also very true for our Leo.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
The 3rd goal was subline, when you watch it back on the extended highlights the way we moved the ball made them look stationary and it was that ball movement that created the space for my secret love to SMASH THE F*****G BALL HOME.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
All the goals were abit special yesterday, and not just because they were against Palace.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
In fairness, CMS is exactly the player we all thought he was before we signed him. It's just that we paid well over the odds for him, and he is paying for his inability to control the ball with his back to goal or bring other players into attack.

Would I rather have Murray than CMS? Yes, yes I would. But neither player are anything like as valuable as Ulloa. And I predict Ulloa will do the business for us if we go up. He will be the same sort of level and style as Darren Bent in his prime, imo.

Not me I'm afraid, I honestly wasn't sure what to expect other than a goal scorer. Don't get me wrong, I think his work rate is second to none anywhere in football but I was expecting a different player to the one we got. Yes, he scared the bejesus out of us playing for Peterborough but I thought he was better technically than he is. I'd still rather have him on our side than against us, especially for the last 15 to 20 minutes, attacking a knackered defence. Ulloa shows what having a good, controlled first touch can do for us-something Macca doesn't really have. Maybe the coaching team can slow him down a bit when he needs control instead of doing everything at 100 mph? Hope so.

@Simster on another note-can you provide me with those 'plastic' statistics for our Primark wearing friends up the A23? I had them but lost them and too lazy to look for them when I know you have them. ta!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The first goal also rectified the injustice of the referee awarding Palace a goal kick a minute or so before, as opposed to the obvious corner that it should have been.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The 3rd goal was subline, when you watch it back on the extended highlights the way we moved the ball made them look stationary and it was that ball movement that created the space for my secret love to SMASH THE F*****G BALL HOME.

It was a perfect goal. Like something from a computer game or film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here