Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Callum McManaman (Wigan)...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bad bad tackle....no doubt.......but he did catch the ball first, if only with the tip of his boot, so some slight mitigation as an inch lower and his foot would never have followed through to the guy's knee. Nothing to indicate it was deliberate still less malicious

Martinez said in his post match intervew (in full on radio but only selective bits on tv) that he hadnt seen the video of the tackle at that point as there had been rather a lot going on at half time. I would trust him to take appropriate action than most

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Bad bad tackle....no doubt.......but he did catch the ball first, if only with the tip of his boot, so some slight mitigation as an inch lower and his foot would never have followed through to the guy's knee. Nothing to indicate it was deliberate still less malicious

Martinez said in his post match intervew (in full on radio but only selective bits on tv) that he hadnt seen the video of the tackle at that point as there had been rather a lot going on at half time. I would trust him to take appropriate action than most

Glad someone else noticed that. Certainly wasn't intentional and he did get the ball first.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's a shame because McManaman is going to one helluva player and now people will associate that tackle with him. Martinez pointed out it was his debut (not an excuse, before people react) and clearly he was trying his heart out and seemed got carried away. It's on of those where, in hindsight, he was never going to be able to go in and get the ball cleanly without leaving his foot in a dangerous position.

Hope the other guy is OK. Was there any update on him?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bad bad tackle....no doubt.......but he did catch the ball first, if only with the tip of his boot, so some slight mitigation as an inch lower and his foot would never have followed through to the guy's knee. Nothing to indicate it was deliberate still less malicious.

Meaningless. So what? What exactly is McManaman trying to do? Kick the ball at the bloke? "Got the ball" means NOTHING to the laws of the game. Nowhere does it cover whether someone "got the ball" or not.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FFS...."got the ball" brigade again.

If I walk up to a player and "get the ball" off them, but at the same time pull out a pistol and shoot them in the head, that's not a foul, right? Cos I got the ball.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Meaningless. So what? What exactly is McManaman trying to do? Kick the ball at the bloke? "Got the ball" means NOTHING to the laws of the game. Nowhere does it cover whether someone "got the ball" or not.

FFS...."got the ball" brigade again.

If I walk up to a player and "get the ball" off them, but at the same time pull out a pistol and shoot them in the head, that's not a foul, right? Cos I got the ball.

These! Getting the ball is absolutely irrelevant and I still can't believe people think you can let woeful tackles go because of the slightest hint of contact with the ball. It was a shocking tackle and was blatantly dangerous play.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Appalling challenge. Ought to be banned for the rest of the season.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Makes Roy Keanes look gentle! It was horrific, reminds me of a Gerrard tackle from years ago when he was young, I'm sure the appropriate punishment will be dished out

And for the record, all you idiots saying he got the ball, are you freaking kidding me? He may have some serious damage done and it's a shame as he scraped the ball with the tip of his boot? Morons

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

ban tackling completely then :shrug:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
3 game ban, and deservedly so. I don't think it was malicious in intent, and he may have knicked the ball a little bit but it's totally irrelevant, he has come in high and hard. Nobody is anti-tackling, but anti-dangerous tackles. That was a shocker and deserves to be punished, McManaman doesn't deserve to be tarred and feathered though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here