Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs Positions

Windows

Feb 8, 2013
Hove
Can someone please explain how the playoffs work in terms of who plays who, where, and how many matches in total to decide the winner?

Is it a home & away with highest aggregate goes through to the next round etc?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
3rd play 6th and 4th play 5th with 6th and 5th playing the first leg at home.

Edit: Away goals do not count by the way.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Extra time and penalties if it's a draw.
In the first two legs, away teams are allowed 2,000 tickets
Gate receipts for the first 4 playoffs are split equally between the four clubs, and for the final are split between the two clubs (after expenses etc)

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
All this talk of the playoff's is bringing back memories of the swindon game, now that was an edge of your seat game!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I've always thought the play off structure is wrong, it should only be a one legged semi final with the teams finishing 3rd & 4th getting the home advantage, seems odd that a team that finishes 6th and possibly 15 points behind a team that finishes 3rd gets an equal chance.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I've always thought the play off structure is wrong, it should only be a one legged semi final with the teams finishing 3rd & 4th getting the home advantage, seems odd that a team that finishes 6th and possibly 15 points behind a team that finishes 3rd gets an equal chance.

Play the Semi final over one leg at Wembley oh can't afford two games at Wembley ? What a shame

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove

Yeap. Which is exctly how they do it in the lower reaches of the non league pyramid. Which gives a massive clue as to why they don't do it the higher up you get. It's all about revenue.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Very true. For this reason I was kind of hoping we'd finish 15 points behind Palace before beating them in the play offs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

They don't get an equal chance. Come 6th? Then you have to play the toughest team (3rd).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The playoffs is rather simple.

The teams who finish 3rd, 4th and 5th have balls with their teams name deposited into the mega bowl.

Meanwhile the team who finished 6th get a bye to the 7th round of the Lightning Trophy. Here all Teams who finished in positions 13 to 19 and scored under 1.3 goals per game play in a mini league pre-kockout format against the team 8th and 20th in League One. If one of the Leaue One teams wins the pre-knockout league then the following knockout tournament is susended and the 6th team in the Championship gain 'Platinum status' in the pre-final "Golden Hawk" tombola.

The remaining Championship teams (3rd,4th and 5th) are ranked in terms of yellow cards over a season. The team who are second are determined the Average Joe's) and will enter the tombola.

The tombola is drawn and whoever is pulled out will have to stay in the Championship for 3 more years. The team left in the go to a public vote in terms of whether they should be allowed in the EPL or not.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The playoffs is rather simple.

The teams who finish 3rd, 4th and 5th have balls with their teams name deposited into the mega bowl.

Meanwhile the team who finished 6th get a bye to the 7th round of the Lightning Trophy. Here all Teams who finished in positions 13 to 19 and scored under 1.3 goals per game play in a mini league pre-kockout format against the team 8th and 20th in League One. If one of the Leaue One teams wins the pre-knockout league then the following knockout tournament is susended and the 6th team in the Championship gain 'Platinum status' in the pre-final "Golden Hawk" tombola.

The remaining Championship teams (3rd,4th and 5th) are ranked in terms of yellow cards over a season. The team who are second are determined the Average Joe's) and will enter the tombola.

The tombola is drawn and whoever is pulled out will have to stay in the Championship for 3 more years. The team left in the go to a public vote in terms of whether they should be allowed in the EPL or not.

Brilliant :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here