Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attacking formation.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If today proved one thing surely it is that we have HIGHLY skilful players capable of playing an attacking game and winning. Please let's not go back to a defensive set up for the rest of the season. Let's try to WIN promotion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Especially if our front players are going to DEFEND as effectively as they did today. KLL's tracking back and tackling was absolutely OUTSTANDING.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If today proved one thing surely it is that we have HIGHLY skilful players capable of playing an attacking game and winning. Please let's not go back to a defensive set up for the rest of the season. Let's try to WIN promotion.

This. Lua Lua or Hammond/Crofts? Playing Buckers, Lua Lua, Spanish Dave and Orlandi makes other teams have to defend more.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
How come it's taken Gus three seasons to discover that it's actually quite good to play with two wingers; it results in us scoring more goals; we can beat top teams that way.

We've had to put up with his defensive crap for too long.

Idiot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have had my doubts about Gus in the big games recently. As soon as I saw the line up I knew it was shit to bust and he shoved my doubts back down my throat today. PLEASE can we play an attacking game at Forest and for the rest of the season. Time to let the opposition worry about us, because on song and on our day we are good enough to beat anybody in this division home or away. No more negative line ups please Gus. Keep Ulloa fit and beat Forest and I will do a complete about turn on my recent doubts. Very happy to be wrong in wondering if Gus has what it takes to take us to the next level.

I'd much rather lose when we are going for it than try and contain the opposition and hope to score on the break when we often lose or draw anyway, especially against the weaker teams in the division.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
How come it's taken Gus three seasons to discover that it's actually quite good to play with two wingers; it results in us scoring more goals; we can beat top teams that way.

We've had to put up with his defensive crap for too long.

Idiot.

I agree.

I just worry that it is a one off. I read somewhere that Poyet thought they were good in attack but weak at the back. That was why he knew our best chance was to get at them. Hopefully he will now see the benefit of attack over sitting there to be shot at!

Happy day today, happt days if he changes our style of play every week.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't wish to rain on the parade here but how come this attacking line up didn't produce as many attempts on goal as we have done in a lot of games with a more "defensive" line-up?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't wish to rain on the parade here but how come this attacking line up didn't produce as many attempts on goal as we have done in a lot of games with a more "defensive" line-up?

Good point. More clinical today rather than more attacking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Often attempts at goal in other games have been a bit weak or backpassish. Today Ulloa panicked their defence and the openings were very clear cut chances, some of which we took. Having a forward who didn't fall over at every challenge made us much much more effective in their box

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Possibly true but it did produce more goals which is kind of the point. Quality not quantity.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Possibly true but it did produce more goals which is kind of the point. Quality not quantity.

Indeed - the difference is Ulloa. Had he been playing against Bolton or Birmingham earlier in the season, we would have thrashed them too.

It is this perception that playing with 2 defensive midfielders is negative, when we were actually creating loads of chances but not putting them away, which I find odd. Sure, there have been games this year where we have not created much, but far less games than last year. It is great that Gus played with 2 wingers today, but let's not get carried away that this is always the best way to go, just because it worked today.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gotta agree with the sentiments of most on this thread. Go for it Gus.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed - the difference is Ulloa. Had he been playing against Bolton or Birmingham earlier in the season, we would have thrashed them too.

It is this perception that playing with 2 defensive midfielders is negative, when we were actually creating loads of chances but not putting them away, which I find odd. Sure, there have been games this year where we have not created much, but far less games than last year. It is great that Gus played with 2 wingers today, but let's not get carried away that this is always the best way to go, just because it worked today.

I totally disagree. We would not have won today if we had started with Hammond/Crofts/Dicker instead of LuaLua and Buckley. They had to worry about us, not the other way around as is usual with Gus' over-defensive tactics.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Especially if our front players are going to DEFEND as effectively as they did today. KLL's tracking back and tackling was absolutely OUTSTANDING.

have to say, i was pleasantly surprised by Lua. i dont rate his defensive abilities but today he really put a shift in today, couple of tackles, tracking back, little things like a simple but necessary back pass and so on. really added a dimension to his play imo, very happy to eat a large slice of humble pie and hope it continues.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I'm guessing you weren't at Brizzle, Bolton and Barnslag otherwise you wouldn't be saying that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Imo, the fact that we have a break now meant that Gus could go all out attacking today, whereas we've had to play two games a week in the last few weeks which, with the travelling has been exhausting. Playing with an attacking line up uses a lot more energy in the game and we knew the team would have time to recover.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No I wasn't obviously, but from all accounts we were all over Bolton and we started that game with 2 "defensive" midfielders.

Would you start with the same team that started today against Forest?

Yup. The "keep hold of the ball for 70 mins and then try to score one" approach hasn't really worked (in terms of the number of victories)and certainly isn't going to propel us into the play offs. Better half wins, half losses than draws.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here