Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde could be on the spot for Albion [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Calde could be on the spot for Albion[/h]8:00am Sunday 17th March 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2271228.jpg
Inigo Calderon is a penalty candidate for Albion against Palace
* Inigo Calderon is on standby to take a penalty for Albion against Crystal Palace at The Amex today.

* Regular taker David had been substituted when Leo Ulloa had a spot-kick saved in Tuesday's 2-1 defeat at Barnsley.

* Fullback Calderon is in the frame if history repeats itself and Albion are awarded a penalty against Palace in their noon showdown with David off the pitch.

* Manager Gus Poyet said: "Somebody needs to step up. There are players that are quite good. In particular I like Calde. People think strikers need to take them, offensive and technical players. Maybe you'll see Calde taking it.

* "I have seen him practise, because it is part of training. Not daily but there are plenty of games, competitions, players staying after and they are always taking penalties and I like the way Calde takes penalties. That doesn't mean he is going to score or miss.

* "Of course, we have got a player that is unique in David but you cannot keep a player on the pitch all the time somehow, because he takes penalties."

* Albion and Palace have both scored from the spot in the last two clashes between the clubs.

* Glenn Murray and Owen Garvan converted penalties in the Seagulls' 3-0 defeat at Selhurst Park earlier this season.

* Ashley Barnes equalised from 12 yards for Albion in the corresponding fixture last season after Chris Martin put Palace ahead with a penalty.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here