Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can one of the resident railway types explain this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bought a day retutn ticket from Brighton to London with zones 1-6 with NSE card and it was £12. Lost ticket and had to pay £16 for a straight London to Brighton ticket to get back. Why is it 33% more expensive to go just one way?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The first ticket you bought seems to be the Super Off-Peak Travelcard, which is a Brighton - London deal. The second ticket was the standard Off-Peak Day Single.

Could I have got a cheaper super off-peak single then?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Could I have got a cheaper super off-peak single then?

Depends, probably if you had bought it before you travelled so were you on the train when you had no ticket ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Depends, probably if you had bought it before you travelled so were you on the train when you had no ticket ?

Nope. Realised I lost ticket before boarding the train so used one of the clumsy Southern machines to get another ticket.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nope. Realised I lost ticket before boarding the train so used one of the clumsy Southern machines to get another ticket.

I suspect the London TVM will not offer Zones as not required as you would not want a Zone ticket to travel to Brighton just a straight fare, in other words it was not there or if that fare was there you may have had to physically buy it from a ticket office.

I think this is probably the source of most complaints about TVMs and if I were you I would write to Southern requesting a refund on the difference of the fare just to wind them up.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So if I went to the ticket office are you saying that they might not sell me the same range of tickets which are for sale on-line?

They can't as on-line offers deals purchasing in advance whereas normally if you pitch up at the ticket office you are paying to travel immediately

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How long before travel is "in advance"? Technically, everyone buys their ticket "in advance". That's how time works.

Stop being pedantic I mean days in advance or a day and getting a cheaper fare, I suppose technically you could buy a ticket on the morning for an afternoon train cheaper

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They can't as on-line offers deals purchasing in advance whereas normally if you pitch up at the ticket office you are paying to travel immediately

But surely if I bowl up in advance I can purchase the same ticket as I would online? I can understand getting a discount for an online purchase but I cannot make sense of why there would be an extra bunch of different ticket types online which are not available elsewhere. What is the point in this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How long before travel is "in advance"? Technically, everyone buys their ticket "in advance". That's how time works.

You say this. But when you board a FFC train it feels like you have gone back in time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But surely if I bowl up in advance I can purchase the same ticket as I would online? I can understand getting a discount for an online purchase but I cannot make sense of why there would be an extra bunch of different ticket types online which are not available elsewhere. What is the point in this?

It is the sign of the future basically and the demise of the ticket office, as you may be aware Southern are promoting the key and that is the future as you would be responsible with loading your card with your ticket and preferably on-line and the inducement is cheaper fare.

Think Oyster and LUL I think it is £4.20 for a single tube ticket but half that with an Oyster Card

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway, aside from my little ticketing mishap I had a lovely day in the capital and for all the people that think I never have a good word to say about England I bought 3 shirts, a jacket and a new wallet and all are British designed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here