Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody savvy with Royal Mail charges?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I bought some stuff from America a couple of weeks ago and paid what I thought were hefty P&P fees, but I thought nothing of it considering it's coming from American you'd expect to pay a bit extra and that's not a problem.

Royal Mail attempted delivery yesterday but I was at work and we got a little card through the post, which is nothing unusual. But there's a £13.48 fee to be paid, £8 of which is a "handling fee", which I think is absolutely outrageous. £8?! REALLY?

I've emailed the company to have words, but it does seem a bit much. The other £5.48 is a customs charge, which I thought I already covered (didn't have to pay any charges the last time I bought from these people).

My question is whether this is a fair cop and it's to be expected, or whether this is a bit naughty.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
The UK Border Agency randomly go through packages from outside the EU and apply a VAT charge if the value of the goods declared is over £15. Royal Mail pay the money up front and charge the customer £8 for doing this.

There doesn’t seem to be a way of avoiding this if your package gets charged.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I bought some stuff from America a couple of weeks ago and paid what I thought were hefty P&P fees, but I thought nothing of it considering it's coming from American you'd expect to pay a bit extra and that's not a problem.

Royal Mail attempted delivery yesterday but I was at work and we got a little card through the post, which is nothing unusual. But there's a £13.48 fee to be paid, £8 of which is a "handling fee", which I think is absolutely outrageous. £8?! REALLY?

I've emailed the company to have words, but it does seem a bit much. The other £5.48 is a customs charge, which I thought I already covered (didn't have to pay any charges the last time I bought from these people).

My question is whether this is a fair cop and it's to be expected, or whether this is a bit naughty.

Bought some NASA videos a few years back and got stung. Asked the postie what would happen if I refused to pay, he said the items would be held for 3 months then sent to auction! Paid up holding a grudge. :angry:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The UK Border Agency randomly go through packages from outside the EU and apply a VAT charge if the value of the goods declared is over £15. Royal Mail pay the money up front and charge the customer £8 for doing this.

There doesn’t seem to be a way of avoiding this if your package gets charged.

Exactly the type of informed response I was expecting, thank you.

It does seem ridiculous though, my previous order from them was worth a lot less and there were no problems.

Either way, it seems the £8 is unavoidable so that's one thing. But the £5.48 remaining, is that something which the merchant should have paid? Have they underpaid at their end leading to the shortfall when it was checked? I have emailed them to ask for an explanation but I would like to have some form of knowledge behind me if possible.

Bought some NASA videos a few years back and got stung. Asked the postie what would happen if I refused to pay, he said the items would be held for 3 months then sent to auction! Paid up holding a grudge. :angry:

My story will probably end the same way to be fair. The initial outrage has subsided, if you have to pay extra then you have to pay but I would like to know the cause of these charges. It does seem pretty stern, but this is the gamble of buying from America. I thought the P&P charges included everything, but perhaps not...

The Brighton Bear

May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
I think that some companies avoid paying the VAT up front because they know that some of their packages will slip through the net.

If you decide to pay the fee you should ask for a receipt as evidence and then take it up further with the seller.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that some companies avoid paying the VAT up front because they know that some of their packages will slip through the net.

If you decide to pay the fee you should ask for a receipt as evidence and then take it up further with the seller.

I'll deffinitely be claiming as much as possible from my American friends, thanks for your advice Bear!

Total shipping charge: US$8.58
Total US$55.00 (includes US$1.43 VAT)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

The Brighton Bear

May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
The other thing that I will say is that the UK Border Agency must have employed more staff. I work in the callers office in the Rottingdean Delivery Office and I used to receive about 4 of these items per week. I have been receiving 4/5 of them every day since the start of the year.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
When you import goods from overseas , you as the buyer are responsible for paying Vat , Customs fees and or RM handling fee .
The fact that you did not pay before is irrelevant , you were just lucky .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When you import goods from overseas , you as the buyer are responsible for paying Vat , Customs fees and or RM handling fee .

This. Nothing to do with the company you bought from

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It does seem ridiculous though, my previous order from them was worth a lot less and there were no problems.

well that might be the reason, iirc under a certain value they wave it through.

to reiterate, this.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The other thing that I will say is that the UK Border Agency must have employed more staff. I work in the callers office in the Rottingdean Delivery Office and I used to receive about 4 of these items per week. I have been receiving 4/5 of them every day since the start of the year.

If they can get £8 a pop for it then I'm suprised there was ever a time they weren't checking so many!

Then my question is at what point are you charged the VAT? Maybe I'm just wrong, which is entirely possible as I haven't ever paid much attention (or had to) to VAT and such things, I just assumed you paid for it when buying the product and when you agree to pay a certain fee you then get the product delivered. Rather than paying what I consider to be perfectly fair and reasonable as a total and then getting hit with ANOTHER £13 charge to complete the transaction. I consider that to be pretty poor, so far as I was concerned the transaction was completed. Is that a wrong attitude?

This. Nothing to do with the company you bought from

Isn't it? They charged me a total and now I've got to pay further fees. Is it my fault I only paid the total they requested from me? I don't meant to sound argumentative, I'm under the assumption you hve a basis of knowledge on this subject and I am genuinely interested for future reference.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Then my question is at what point are you charged the VAT? Maybe I'm just wrong, which is entirely possible as I haven't ever paid much attention (or had to) to VAT and such things, I just assumed you paid for it when buying the product and when you agree to pay a certain fee you then get the product delivered. Rather than paying what I consider to be perfectly fair and reasonable as a total and then getting hit with ANOTHER £13 charge to complete the transaction. I consider that to be pretty poor, so far as I was concerned the transaction was completed. Is that a wrong attitude?

you brought the item from US where there is no VAT. you pay VAT in this country and on items brought in EU, anywhere else wont have to charge you VAT so wont. then theres duty, different for different items and theres various minimum values before they start charging but its not alot. Royal Mail then charge their fee for effectivly acting as an excise duty collection agency.

so in a nut shell, your supplier is outside the VAT system and doesnt concern itself with that or duty, just ships to the address.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
you brought the item from US where there is no VAT. you pay VAT in this country and on items brought in EU, anywhere else wont have to charge you VAT so wont. then theres duty, different for different items and theres various minimum values before they start charging but its not alot. Royal Mail then charge their fee for effectivly acting as an excise duty collection agency.

so in a nut shell, your supplier is outside the VAT system and doesnt concern itself with that or duty, just ships to the address.

I understand to a point, but my argument would be that I WAS charged VAT, Total US$55.00 (includes US$1.43 VAT). Clearly, this wasn't enough and I don't dispute that. The website linked in this thread confirms the amount I have subsequently been charged is fair, I understand that now and I thank the posters for sharing the site.

I'm just a bit suprised to get hit with additional fees having already paid, I've only ever had to pay customs charges once but that was on a CD from Korea so that was fair game. I'm not saying this time isn't fair game, I just wasn't expecting it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I understand to a point, but my argument would be that I WAS charged VAT, Total US$55.00 (includes US$1.43 VAT). Clearly, this wasn't enough and I don't dispute that. The website linked in this thread confirms the amount I have subsequently been charged is fair, I understand that now and I thank the posters for sharing the site.

I'm just a bit suprised to get hit with additional fees having already paid, I've only ever had to pay customs charges once but that was on a CD from Korea so that was fair game. I'm not saying this time isn't fair game, I just wasn't expecting it.

In the US they have a sales tax which is added on and will vary from state to state.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I understand to a point, but my argument would be that I WAS charged VAT, Total US$55.00 (includes US$1.43 VAT).

ah, that would be the local state sales tax, works out to 2.6%. it is confusing first time, and i've heard alot of internet merchants wont sell to foreign addresses, so they dont have to deal with the irrate customers who get a bargin, only to find the price works out more than local once the duty, tax, postage and fees are all paid. it kinda the point of the free trade of the EU, where all this stuff disappears.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Lucky it's only £8, they charge more (£14 I think) if it was sent by express post. They can't withhold the package until you pay the fees, there's a specific postal act clause that this is in contravention of (in the same act that gives them the right to levy the charge it specifies they can't actually hold onto the package awaiting payment). Google the subject for advice, which in general is that you need to quote the postal act when you pick it up and only pay the customs stuff not the £8. They'll argue but as long as you quote from the postal act they'll cave in and send you a bill for the £8 later (to chuck in the bin). Apparently. I just pay it myself.

The Brighton Bear

May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
Lucky it's only £8, they charge more (£14 I think) if it was sent by express post. They can't withhold the package until you pay the fees, there's a specific postal act clause that this is in contravention of (in the same act that gives them the right to levy the charge it specifies they can't actually hold onto the package awaiting payment). Google the subject for advice, which in general is that you need to quote the postal act when you pick it up and only pay the customs stuff not the £8. They'll argue but as long as you quote from the postal act they'll cave in and send you a bill for the £8 later (to chuck in the bin). Apparently. I just pay it myself.

You can quote as many postal acts as you like, you won't get the package until you've paid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here