Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I know a vast majority of us support the idea of safe standing sections at Falmer. What are the pros and cons and what do people generally think?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Cons: people never get to know themselves as capable of singing while sitting.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Pros: People who want to stand have the choice, improvement of stadium atmosphere.

Cons: cost of installing, and - if capacity were to increase in standing areas - cost of altering the concourses to comply with regulations for the increased capacity.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I know a vast majority of us support the idea of safe standing sections at Falmer.

That's quite a leading assumption.

FWIW, I'm "on the fence" so not amongst this "vast" majority. I'm not really "against" it, I just don't care about it.

I suspect a lot of north standers possibly support it but the rest are probably feel neither here nor there about it.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013

FWIW, I'm "on the fence" so not amongst this "vast" majority. I'm not really "against" it, I just don't care about it.

I suspect a lot of north standers possibly support it but the rest are probably feel neither here nor there about it.

Not a leading assumption at all. I was basing the stats on an poll conducted here a while ago. See above from Acker79.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fact - it will never happen in the UK

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Everton stadium announcer told the man city fans to sit down otherwise you will be kicked out!

That happens every game at Goodison Park, and isn't directed at away fans. It is done for those behind the goal which Everton will be attacking in the second half. It does not work. Look at the stand

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
The message was JUST for Man City fans.
And will have done nothing, I will bet you any amount of money. When the camera pans accross you will see them all standing in the lower and upper sections. Most teams in the Premier League stand 100% of the time away from home - we will be exactly the same

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Odd logic there. I sit in the west stand upper BECAUSE the north stand is all seated. If it were a terrace I would be in the north stand.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Pros: better atmosphere, higher density of supporters means more tickets to sell, easier for people to see because the standers are all in one place, safer than standing in an all-seater, easy to switch back to all-seater using fold-away seating.

Cons: limiting ticket supply drives prices up (which turns out to be a pro for the club), safe standing requires more vomitories which means stand redesign, harder to steward.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
The Amex has just been completed as an all seater stadium. Safe standing as used in Germany and elsewhere costs 30% more to install than the type of upmarket seating we have. So with the other additional costs I cant see it happening at our club for a while. Having said that I would always prefer to stand.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Not a leading assumption at all. I was basing the stats on an poll conducted here a while ago. See above from Acker79.

Given the binfest after a loss or draw on here (which is at odds with any/all fans I speak to in "real" life), I would not take any NSC poll as being in any way representative of the fan base as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here