Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local Services under pressure

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
No wonder the NHS is struggling financially, in my doctors surgery in the week there were four Lithuanians registering with a doctor. Now I'm not in any way racist but how can our NHS cope with this influx of migrants, not withstanding the impending arrival of more East Europeans in the coming years ie Romanians and Bulgarians. It's very worrying.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Don't they pay tax?

It's not people registering with a doctor, it's people going there with a sore throat wasting a doctors time and money, when I went to my doctors as my excema was flaring up, people try to cough the loudest or look like they're dying, when all he can prescribe is bed rest and stuff, those people are worse

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Under EU law you are entitled to work anywhere and register for services within each country, also many UK people now work abroad.

Fortunately the austerity program is turning a lot of migrants away from the UK.

The only way to stop this is to opt out which I would not advocate given the ease with which it is to trade in the EU but certainly would not want to join the Euro.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Don't they pay tax?

It's not people registering with a doctor, it's people going there with a sore throat wasting a doctors time and money, when I went to my doctors as my excema was flaring up, people try to cough the loudest or look like they're dying, when all he can prescribe is bed rest and stuff, those people are worse

Completely agree, I was once down my local doctors to get a prescription for my anxiety, literally a 5 minute chat with the GP regarding how they're doing, then asking if I would stick to them. A family came in, white British mind you! All in for the fact her 10 year old son had a sore throat, coughing and constant runny nose whilst blocked. Anyone would diagnose a mild cold, which there's nothing you can do but drink plenty of water and rest.

Well, they were seen before me. No surprise within a few minutes they were on the way out. The real problem is lack of education regarding basic illnesses and their treatment. Symptoms can easily be recognised, and if they raise alarm then perhaps visit the GP.

But the issue about migrants coming and immediately signing up to the NHS pisses me off. It should not be free until you've paid a substantial amount of NI. But the ECHR would probably rule that as against human rights...

D

Deleted member 22389

No wonder the NHS is struggling financially, in my doctors surgery in the week there were four Lithuanians registering with a doctor. Now I'm not in any way racist but how can our NHS cope with this influx of migrants, not withstanding the impending arrival of more East Europeans in the coming years ie Romanians and Bulgarians. It's very worrying.

Nothing racist about it, you don't have to apologise. It's all about fairness. Immigration needs to be handled properly. Did you hear them talking about the shortage of all school places in London, that is set it grow. If we allow the same sort of numbers in from Bulgaria and Romania like we did from Poland, this will make the situation a lot worse. This does not even count the numbers coming in from outside the EU. It's need sorting.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Or do as is done here in Spain. If you wish to be in the Spanish Health system, excellent by the way, you first have to register with your local town hall, then apply & get residency. You require S2 opt out form from DHSS Newcastle. Take all these to your local health centre & you will eventually receive your Spanish health card. The DHSS pays the Spanish system an amount each year [approx 2000 euros]. The cards are chipped and contain all your medical history so any doctor, hospital or chemist has access in respect of your prescriptions/treatment. When we return to the UK we have to use the EHIC card if treatment required. I think Labour spent squillions of pounds on an abortive similar card system, don't know why they didn't study the Spanish one!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Never mind the Lithuanians, how about fining people that don't turn up for appointments. That would give the NHS a massive financial shot in the arm.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Never mind the Lithuanians, how about fining people that don't turn up for appointments. That would give the NHS a massive financial shot in the arm.

Would that work both ways? In the past year, I've twice turned up for a dentist appointment to find that it has been cancelled and once turned up for a GP's appointment to find the surgery unexpectedly closed. I know that these things happen but I don't see why it would have been difficult to tell me.

I guess that if surgeries started informing patients of cancelled appointments, patients might do likewise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't mind betting there are plenty of Lithuanian doctors who've moved over here to work in the NHS...

My chemotherapy nurse at the Royal Surrey Hospital this week is Polish - and very good she is too.
Anyone covered by the Sussex NHS Community Trus t (ie registered with a GP in Sussex)might like to know that there's recently been a change of policy and you now can't get a Community (District) Nurse visit unless you're housebound (ie physically can't get out). In my case I'm somehow expected to get over to Crawley Hospital (20 miles) to have my cytotoxic chemo pump removed and IV lines flushed (x3 trips every fortnight) when I'm unable to drive due to the chemo/transfusion effects, there's no public transport option and at a time when my immune system is at its lowest and so clinically I should be minimising contact with outside sources of infection.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Under EU law you are entitled to work anywhere and register for services within each country, also many UK people now work abroad.

Fortunately the austerity program is turning a lot of migrants away from the UK.

The only way to stop this is to opt out which I would not advocate given the ease with which it is to trade in the EU but certainly would not want to join the Euro.

Given ever more popular anti-EU parties here and in Germany are becoming more serious contenders, that the Greeks and Italians reacted badly to having their governments disbanded and replaced with EU bureaucrats and now all Cyprus savers have had either 6.75% or 9.9% of their savings stolen by the EU I'd like to think the people of Europe might be coming to their senses and understanding that we don't need to belong to the corrupt EU to have free trade.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Completely agree, I was once down my local doctors to get a prescription for my anxiety, literally a 5 minute chat with the GP regarding how they're doing, then asking if I would stick to them. A family came in, white British mind you! All in for the fact her 10 year old son had a sore throat, coughing and constant runny nose whilst blocked. Anyone would diagnose a mild cold, which there's nothing you can do but drink plenty of water and rest.

Well, they were seen before me. No surprise within a few minutes they were on the way out. The real problem is lack of education regarding basic illnesses and their treatment. Symptoms can easily be recognised, and if they raise alarm then perhaps visit the GP.

But the issue about migrants coming and immediately signing up to the NHS pisses me off. It should not be free until you've paid a substantial amount of NI. But the ECHR would probably rule that as against human rights...

It's this attitude that pisses me off. How do you know what the mother took her kid in for? Could have had an ear infection, severe tonsillitis or anything..were you in the consultation with them? no, you were just sitting there in the waiting room ASSUMING that they are time wasting because they went ahead of you. You are a skilled diagnostician if you can perform snap judgements from across the room.

What if the kid had leukaemia or another underlying problem that the Doctor needed to know about? It's none of your beeswax why other people see their doctor. I expect you sitting there waiting for propanolol or whatever for your anxiety looking fit and well pissed off a load of other patients eh? You still needed to be there though didn't you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are skilled .....if you can perform snap judgements from across the room.

I do this all the time and you don't need to be overly skilled. Sometimes I get caught out though; I once got talking to a chap reading the Telegraph and he turned out to actually be an okay chap.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I do this all the time and you don't need to be overly skilled. Sometimes I get caught out though; I once got talking to a chap reading the Telegraph and he turned out to actually be an okay chap.

Clearly he wasn't taking it seriously then.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

One can notice from a distance that he wasn't moving his lips as he read, yet was reading the Telegraph. That's the tip-off, right there.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Had to use a local health centre while travelling in New Zealand. Absolutely no problem being seen by a Doctor with minimal delay even though it wasn't an emergency. I expected to pay for the consultation and resulting prescription but was pleasantly surprised when they asked (without prompting) if I had my EHIC card and this entitled me to 50% discount. Excellent service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here