Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet frustrated by loan striker search from Argus paper

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
hiya everyone from the argus paper

Albion boss Gus Poyet is disappointed and surprised that he has not been able to land a loan striker.

The Seagulls need another forward, with Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins out for the season with injuries and Ashley Barnes banned.

Poyet told The Argus: "I'm quite badly disappointed with this, because I didn't expect so many players to be in different clubs not willing to come and play. I'm surprised, I thought it would be much easier.

"Players, clubs, money, nothing came together, nothing, and unfortunately the players available today are not good enough for me."
Leo Ulloa will again be the only senior recognised striker available to Poyet for Sunday's derby against Crystal Palace.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"Players, clubs, money, nothing came together, nothing, and unfortunately the players available today are not good enough for me."

So is he saying that the players we "can" afford are not good enough or "All" the players available are not good enough for him ?

He has said he hates the loan market so no great shocks to be fair.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well he must be desperate if he's got The Arsegust to find him a new striker.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
its time for the other players to turn up and get the goals

this
we have enough midfield players who can score goals and take some weight of the only senior centre forward we have

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Should have been on the phone yesterday, instead on on TV prattling on about his beloved Chelsea.

To be fair it was in the evening and I am sure if he has or had selected a target he passes that on and does not actually do the negotiations himself other than the inital enquiry.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Clearly that is a dig a players who are currently happy to stay at their club and pick up their wage without the effort of actually playing.

And again, Pork Pie, that's a brilliantly simplistic view to Gus being at the Chelsea game. A manager's job when it comes to transfers and loans is often to submit a list of targets to the chief exec or sometimes even the chairmen. Of course Gus will have rung round, but it's the job of someone completely different to try and strike a deal.

This isn't 'football manager'

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
hiya everyone from the argus paper

Albion boss Gus Poyet is disappointed and surprised that he has not been able to land a loan striker.

The Seagulls need another forward, with Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins out for the season with injuries and Ashley Barnes banned.

Poyet told The Argus: "I'm quite badly disappointed with this, because I didn't expect so many players to be in different clubs not willing to come and play. I'm surprised, I thought it would be much easier.

Leo Ulloa will again be the only senior recognised striker available to Poyet for Sunday's derby against Crystal Palace.

I haven't seen one player linked this week bar Raheem Sterling (pipe dream) but in Gus defence it must be difficult. We don't want another Paynter/ Vokes scenario and anyone of the calibre we are after will be knocking on the door of a start in the premier league/ championship and on shed loads more per week than what we can offer plus our needs are way to specific. Gus has never been one to gamble which ironic when you thin about TB's career

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Poyet knows the sort of player he wants and goes all out on signing the best players, however this leads to more rejections and frustrations. Thats why he prefers proper signings and not having to rush

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i cant actually believe this comes as a shock to anyone, there was not a cats chance we were ever going to get in striker. we have what we have, we have to move on a deal with it.

Ulloa
Barker
Torby
Buckley
Vicente

Can all play in that position.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well that's a surprise! Did anyone ever expect anything different?

Not sure coming here would enhance the career of many of the the players available. Last few years has proved playing as a striker for us is bloody hard and a bit of a graveyard. Either that or perhaps they don't want to be played as a wide player/midfielder/defender/keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here