Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inter: monkey chants and an inflatable banana

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some good old-fashioned racism from those cheeky Italian scamps at the San Siro last night.

Can you imagine the outcry if that happened here?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I fully expect UEFA to come down hard on Inter over this with a huge fine of €1000

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Monkey chants and an inflatable banana? Honestly! Where's people's sense of humour these days??

IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!!!! :fishing:

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Non racist related but I remember the inflatable craze back in the day when bananas, skeletons, beach balls and all sorts were common place at the game.

Seem to recall started by Manchester City in the old 2nd Division.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Non racist related but I remember the inflatable craze back in the day when bananas, skeletons, beach balls and all sorts were common place at the game.

That was down to Imre Varadi playing for them at the time, I seem to recall. His surname sounded like 'Banana'. Apparently.

:wozza:

I was assured by a Man. City supporting friend that they created the craze as a tribute to Imre Varadi, cheeky Manc. scamps corrupted his name to "banana" for some reason. Their other myth was that the Granddad of another fan's favourite, Uwe Rösler, was the pilot of one of the planes that bombed Old Trafford during the Manchester Blitz.

My fave inflatable from that era was the Grimsby one, "Harry the Haddock".

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I was assured by a Man. City supporting friend that they created the craze as a tribute to Imre Varadi, cheeky Manc. scamps corrupted his name to "banana" for some reason. Their other myth was that the Granddad of another fan's favourite, Uwe Rösler, was the pilot of one of the planes that bombed Old Trafford during the Manchester Blitz.

My fave inflatable from that era was the Grimsby one, "Harry the Haddock".

Harry The Haddock, Norm? Sounds very fishy??

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Are they ever racist towards their own players?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cue Sepp Blatter saying something like:

"Everyone knows that the people of Milan love their Caribbean fruit. This was just a celebration of that fact. And the chants you will have heard were from the Tottenham supporters who were unhappy that they did not bring their own fruit. We should accept that some people just like bananas."

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
At least you'd never get that sort of behaviour at the Amex

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
The main thing to take away from all this racism stuff is that you get muppets everywhere, it isn't a cultural phenomenon.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Not defending racism in European football there’s absolutely no place for it but it wasn’t that long ago our black players were subjected to some awful treatment from football ‘fans’ I recall a black player being pelted with bananas at the goldstone in about 1995-96. Also my ex refused to ever go to a football match again when I took her to Leyton Orient a few seasons back due to a number fans subjecting players and a black linesman to some shocking abuse.

Britain has moved on so much in the last 15 or so years, racism is tolerated by very few and generally our communities are integrated, thankfully this extends to football grounds but unfortunately racism in European football will always exist whilst there is division and ignorance within society, especially in countries where far right politics flourish.

Basically what I’m saying, probably pretty badly is that attitudes will change but it will take time and with action at governmental level not by throwing fines at the football clubs IMO.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
Not defending racism in European football there’s absolutely no place for it but it wasn’t that long ago our black players were subjected to some awful treatment from football ‘fans’ I recall a black player being pelted with bananas at the goldstone in about 1995-96. Also my ex refused to ever go to a football match again when I took her to Leyton Orient a few seasons back due to a number fans subjecting players and a black linesman to some shocking abuse.

Britain has moved on so much in the last 15 or so years, racism is tolerated by very few and generally our communities are integrated, thankfully this extends to football grounds but unfortunately racism in European football will always exist whilst there is division and ignorance within society, especially in countries where far right politics flourish.

Basically what I’m saying, probably pretty badly is that attitudes will change but it will take time and with action at governmental level not by throwing fines at the football clubs IMO.

It was disgusting to be racist in 95 and 85 and 75,as the italians seem to be where we were mid 70's does that mean we have to wait 40 years for them to behave?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here