Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European referees

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Do they just have a different way of refereeing or is there some anti English agenda?
Arsenal had 6 yellows compared to Bayern's 3 and tonight it was Spurs 5 to Inter's 1
and not forgetting Nani's red. Just saw Torres kicked in the face but that's seems to be OK too.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Do they just have a different way of refereeing or is there some anti English agenda?
Arsenal had 6 yellows compared to Bayern's 3 and tonight it was Spurs 5 to Inter's 1
and not forgetting Nani's red. Just saw Torres kicked in the face but that's seems to be OK too.

In short, Yes.

Having played football on the continent the style is very different. They don't have the player / referee relationship that the FA try to build over here.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The days of the hard tackling of players to stop them have gone in Europe and those sort of fouls are punished with cards that are not shown in the English game, might be one of the reasons we're not doing too well at the top level at the moment our refs let too much go unpunished.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

Torres got kicked in the face right infront of the extra officials behind the goal and they did nothing. The extra officials seemed a good idea at the time but I think I've seen about one match where they've actually made a decision despite having a good view of everything that goes on in the penalty area.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The days of the hard tackling of players to stop them have gone in Europe and those sort of fouls are punished with cards that are not shown in the English game, might be one of the reasons we're not doing too well at the top level at the moment our refs let too much go unpunished.
Why wouldn't you view this the other way round,... their refs are too pedantic and precious on the continent, spoiling the flow of a team game where controlled physical contact is allowed in the laws.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Made me laugh how two spurs players booked for time wasting, when Italians are the best at it when it suits them, and never get punished. Four of the inter players last night never got booked for simulation yet walker did when he was fouled.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting point. It's pretty clear to me different nations ref in different ways. I'm always puzzled by the amount of homework clubs do on the opposition team but seemingly do no research on the officials. Furguson has sometimes said, in a disparaging way, he knows what sort of game the ref will have but doesn't seem to instruct his players to deal with it or adapt their game.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Torres got kicked in the face right infront of the extra officials behind the goal and they did nothing. The extra officials seemed a good idea at the time but I think I've seen about one match where they've actually made a decision despite having a good view of everything that goes on in the penalty area.

They are not allowed to assist in the decision making process.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
That's what I was getting at, I thought they wre allowed to give pens? They always rant at half time etc about them

Whoever the commentators were on ITV last night were ranting for a while about it, then somebody piped up and said "we have been informed from downstairs the official behind the goal isn't allowed to make comments on penalty shouts" or something like that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The ref behind the goal disallowed a Spurs goal last season.

I am yet to understand what they do except make decisions more complicated

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Why wouldn't you view this the other way round,... their refs are too pedantic and precious on the continent, spoiling the flow of a team game where controlled physical contact is allowed in the laws.

Let's put it another way, in Europe they play the game to a different way of reffing and accept it. I don't think the refs are going to change just because it's an English team and we're not exactly the most liked. Haven't you noticed how some of our Spainish players have reacted to some of the contact?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Let's put it another way, in Europe they play the game to a different way of reffing and accept it. I don't think the refs are going to change just because it's an English team and we're not exactly the most liked. Haven't you noticed how some of our Spainish players have reacted to some of the contact?

There was quite a lot of contact in the Celtic match against Juventus.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I think it is something that Poyet trains all of our players to do. Not just the spaniards. How about Barnes at times, and DibDab at Wednesday the other year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here