Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Tax and Government U Turns

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
With the record this government has on losing their bottle and doing u turns on policies. Why doesn't this country repeat the fuel protests of 1999 which seriously worried the Blair government. With the amount of our money that is given away by Cameron and co. This could be stopped and put towards a big cut in fuel tax whichaffects everyone in the Uk. With enough pressure put on this weak government another u turn on the aid budget can happen.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just for information, after the fuel protests and Precott's punch in 2000, in the following 10 years of New 'Labour', fuel prices and the New 'Labour' Government cut of it in duty and VAT, rose way above its 2000 level, despite modest general price inflation:

2000 80 p per litre
May 2010 122 p per litre

It crept up relentlessly, without barely a sole noticing it.

All governments on this are as good/bad as each other. Making as much out of motorists as they can, due to the love of the car, and inelestic demand.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Just for information, after the fuel protests and Precott's punch in 2000, in the following 10 years of New 'Labour', fuel prices and the New 'Labour' Government cut of it in duty and VAT, rose way above its 2000 level, despite modest general price inflation:

2000 80 p per litre
May 2010 122 p per litre

It crept up relentlessly, without barely a sole noticing it.

All governments on this are as good/bad as each other. Making as much out of motorists as they can, due to the love of the car, and inelestic demand.

V true. They wouldn't accept it in France.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
People won't speak out against this government. They've already installed fear into the public. It's like you speak out. That's it. Dictatorship that's how Dave, Nick and Co are going. Taxing us for everything they can and taking our right's one at a time.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
People won't speak out against this government. They've already installed fear into the public. It's like you speak out. That's it. Dictatorship that's how Dave, Nick and Co are going. Taxing us for everything they can and taking our right's one at a time.

That's the one drawback to living in the Uk. Nobody has the guts to get together and actually make a stand against unfair taxes. I lived in France for a year in the early noughties and the French wouldn't accept being walked over like the Brits do. We need to become a nation of Victor Meldrews:angry::angry:

With the record this government has on losing their bottle and doing u turns on policies. Why doesn't this country repeat the fuel protests of 1999 which seriously worried the Blair government. With the amount of our money that is given away by Cameron and co. This could be stopped and put towards a big cut in fuel tax whichaffects everyone in the Uk. With enough pressure put on this weak government another u turn on the aid budget can happen.
Why a protest against Blair, but not Cameron?

Obvious, shirley. The fuel protest was organised by Tory-supporting big business interests.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Why a protest against Blair, but not Cameron?

Obvious, shirley. The fuel protest was organised by Tory-supporting big business interests.
Actually it was organised by a load of fat truckers. Although you're correct they were Tory-supporting and the 'funny' thing was that it was actually a Tory policy (the fuel escalator which aimed to reduced vehicle emissions and save the countryside from more roads by pricing the lumpen proles off them) that was responsible for the increases. Labour had just quietly gone along with it as it sounded 'Green'.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have been guilty of total cynicism on this issue. My perception was we see more and more monster petrol guzzlers on the road, whilst people are bleeting about the cost of fuel being too high.

consumption-of-fuel-500x390.png

This analysis suggests quite the opposite and that fuel consumption is falling. For the full article see

Fuel Consumption in UK - Economics Blog

My own experience is that road traffic congestion is not easing at all, so either there are a huge number of fuel efficient cars on the road, or in other parts of the country people are making a conscious effort to cut back on their mileage to cut costs.

Even then I am not sure this is grounds for a mass uprising against high fuel costs, or cause for celebration that we are gradually reducing our fossil fuel dependency/emotional attachment to personal modes of transport.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I have been guilty of total cynicism on this issue. My perception was we see more and more monster petrol guzzlers on the road, whilst people are bleeting about the cost of fuel being too high.

View attachment 40330

This analysis suggests quite the opposite and that fuel consumption is falling. For the full article see

Fuel Consumption in UK - Economics Blog

My own experience is that road traffic congestion is not easing at all, so either there are a huge number of fuel efficient cars on the road, or in other parts of the country people are making a conscious effort to cut back on their mileage to cut costs.

Even then I am not sure this is grounds for a mass uprising against high fuel costs, or cause for celebration that we are gradually reducing our fossil fuel dependency/emotional attachment to personal modes of transport.
There's a number of factors. New cars are 25% more efficient in their fuel useage than they were ten years ago (source: AA), but new car sales are still increasing month on month, so your anecdotal experience of traffic congestion not improving is correct. In other words there's more cars but they're more efficient. My wife's car (I don't have one) is about twice as efficient as the one she had before.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here