Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away goals count in Extra Time

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I can never understand it when people don'tcheer on another English team in Europe, but cheer on a foreign team instead. All seems a bit backwards if you ask me!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Bit unfair.

Come on Inter.[/QUOTE

Were Tottenham not playing away dont the rules say goals scored away count as double in the event of an aggregate draw. What is the problem and the unfairness in that?

]

Away goals shouldn't count in extra time, it is 30 minutes that Inter didn't get to play in England. So basically Tottenham needed to net 1 in 30 mins, Inter needed to net 2. I can agree during normal time, but the 'away rule' should be eradicated when it comes to extra time.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Both teams won comfortably at home

It is not always as great as some people think though.

The slate should be wiped clean. It has already been decided they are tied on away goals so they need to enter into extra time, which they did. It should not bring away goals into the equation at end of extra time too.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I can never understand it when people don'tcheer on another English team in Europe, but cheer on a foreign team instead. All seems a bit backwards if you ask me!

Because we're not all blindly nationalistic, it's not a national competition and most of the players/managers aren't English anyway.

Do you think Emmanuel Adebayor is trying to win the Europa League for you/England?!

(Many threads of this on NSC, btw)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Because we're not all blindly nationalistic, it's not a national competition and most of the players/managers aren't English anyway.

Do you think Emmanuel Adebayor is trying to win the Europa League for you/England?!

(Many threads of this on NSC, btw)
Indeed. The days are gone, long gone when we'd cheer for the British teams regardless. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s when the teams were British-owned with British and Irish players then Liverpool v Roma (for example) was an extension of international football. Now it's just international conglomerate v international conglomerate and speaking as a proud and patriotic Englishman I don't feel that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, etc in any way shape or form represent our country any more than Nissan do simply because they've got a British factory and a few British employees.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Indeed. The days are gone, long gone when we'd cheer for the British teams regardless. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s when the teams were British-owned with British and Irish players then Liverpool v Roma (for example) was an extension of international football. Now it's just international conglomerate v international conglomerate and speaking as a proud and patriotic Englishman I don't feel that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, etc in anyway shape or form represent our country any more than Nissan do simply because they've got a British factory and a few British employees.

This.

That's why I can hardly be bothered to watch European matches any longer. There's no connection any more. In fact I often perversely find myself rooting for the foreign side as I dislike the premier league so much.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

when i was a kid it was easier to watch italian football (via football italia) then it was to follow the premier league/brighton without sky (which we didnt have) so i also support inter as a result

i also like parma as they had a wonder team back in the day, and now they are always the plucky underdog

plus i HATE spurs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here