Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Lawson Starts Record Attempt

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
AITC's Dan Lawson begins his attempt to break the world record for the greatest distance run in a week on a treadmill this Saturday morning in Brighton and is urging fans to join in with Albion players and directors to help him.
The world record attempt will take place in a specially designed marquee in Brighton’s Jubilee Square and will raise money for AITC projects aimed at tackling childhood obesity and increasing physical activity levels of young people.
To beat the record he will have to run the equivalent of 20 marathons - nearly three a day – a distance of 520 miles. There will be little time for sleep and recovery as Dan is expected to run non-stop for around 14 hours a day for seven days. If he is successful Dan will more than double the distance he covered in running the Brighton Marathon eight times, back-to-back last April.
He will be joined throughout the week by Albion first team players and directors as well as staff from Nuffield Health and other local businesses who will run alongside him on treadmills to help raise money.
Albion fans and the public are also being encouraged to play their part in helping him beat the record and raise money by running alongside him. Fans and the public can take part on any of the days up until 10pm.
Lawson told seagulls.co.uk, “I needed another challenge after the eight marathons last year and I thought this would be a great way to get other people involved in helping me break a world record and get active at the same time. Anyone can come down and donate money to get on one of the treadmills next to me and join in.”
Dr Kanumakala, Consultant Paediatrician at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital, added, “Tackling childhood obesity and getting young people to lead more active and healthy lifestyles is a massive challenge. *Social, economic and cultural factors have changed through generations, for example, how many children today use a skipping rope? They are more skilled in using their thumbs on mobile phones.
“Parents need to take every opportunity to increase physical activity with their children and they should be cautious about diet, because it is very easy to underestimate the calorie content of foods that are available to us today and thus increase children’s caloric intake without realising it.”
The record attempt starts this Saturday (March 16th) and finishes the following Friday (March 22nd). To sponsor Dan, please visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com and enter ‘Dan Lawson’. You can also get in touch and find out more by following Dan on Twitter @therunningdan and on Facebook.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here