Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phill Jupitus

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it realistic to be defined as a comedian if you have never said a single funny thing in your entire life?

And no, repeating other people's jokes straight after them in a loud voice doesn't count.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He made a funny face in that Housemartins video.

Does that count?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Lenny Henry is a member of this club too. Shouty and not funny.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
See also McIntyre, Michael.

I have at least seen him say things where I can understand why people would find it funny, if that was their taste. I fail to grasp in what way Phill Jupitus IS a comedian. Isn't he just identical to a slightly annoying aging muso in a pub?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Is it realistic to be defined as a comedian if you have never said a single funny thing in your entire life?

And no, repeating other people's jokes straight after them in a loud voice doesn't count.

I saw Phil at a corporate party years ago, and he was great. The organiser, a friend of mine, said he was a fantastic guy as well.

Dec 29, 2011
Phil Jupitus is an old school comedian, absolutely fantastic on NMTB too. As for McIntyre, anyone that insults him should be shot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Phil Jupitus is an old school comedian, absolutely fantastic on NMTB too. As for McIntyre, anyone that insults him should be shot.

He's ****ing AWFUL on Buzzcocks. He literally just repeats whatever just got a laugh a few seconds before. He never actually says anything funny.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
See also McIntyre, Michael.

It maybe just me, but I find McIntyre really funny. It's fairly safe everyday material, but that is what makes me laugh. Don't get me wrong I like Stuart Lee just as much as the next man, but for the odd belly laugh or two McIntyre is pretty good value.

As Mellotron's problems re Jupitus, I'd advise you to check out non-Buzzcocks stuff that he does, I'm not sure his heart is really in that show. The Perfect Ten is a good podcast (albeit rare these days) and I've seen him do stand up and be funny too.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It maybe just me, but I find McIntyre really funny. It's fairly safe everyday material, but that is what makes me laugh. Don't get me wrong I like Stuart Lee just as much as the next man, but for the odd belly laugh or two McIntyre is pretty good value.

As Mellotron's problems re Jupitus, I'd advise you to check out non-Buzzcocks stuff that he does, I'm not sure his heart is really in that show. The Perfect Ten is a good podcast (albeit rare these days) and I've seen him do stand up and be funny too.

Possibly just you, and a load of old biddies.

I really do not like his humour, or his pompus public school boy attitude.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I saw Phil Jupitus on the Virgin train from Preston to Euston. He looked in a right mood and was lurching up the carriage like a confused COW.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With Phil and Phill's Perfect 10, podcast in his cannon then he is able to call himself a comedian.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Jupitus really is painful. I don't watch Buzzcocks, 8 out of 10 Cats, Mock the Week or any of those things but I do watch QI and it's invariably worse when he appears. Like the OP says, no funny lines, just the shouty kind of mocking "humour" you get from loud attention-seeking types in all walks of life. Most of them don't get paid for it though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think the majority of comedians are very weak and I cant see any benefit in seeing them live other than to waste £20 plus.
Live music yes. Drama too but a huge no to stand up comedy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have at least seen him say things where I can understand why people would find it funny, if that was their taste. I fail to grasp in what way Phill Jupitus IS a comedian. Isn't he just identical to a slightly annoying aging muso in a pub?

I think he is a " comedy personality" rather than a genuine Comedian. Not my cup of tea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he is a " comedy personality" rather than a genuine Comedian. Not my cup of tea.
Not forgetting Porkie The Poet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here