Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What playing Palace means to our players

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With El Abd out, there is a chance that there could be only one player starting for us who really has any idea what it means to play Palace, and he's a loan player - Dean Hammond.

I can't work out whether this is a good or bad thing.

Good - it will feel like 'just another game' and the players will keep cool and calm.
Bad - it will feel like 'just another game' and players won't be able to rise to the occasion.

Convince me one way or the other please.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's a good thing; they're less likely to do something stupid like Lewis Dunk did.

A 28.5K capacity crowd should get the players going.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
you on a day off today (lots of threads!!)

If they read NSC and I hope they dont, then they will realise what it means to the supporters. Also remember you have Charlie boy in the ranks and he will ensure that the players from abroad understand what this means. I think it is a good thing.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think Gus, Tanno and Charlie get it. I also think looking at Orlandi's reaction to scoring against Cardiff that he understands the concept of local rivalry......the rest of them seem a bit meek (although I'd hope Ulloa will become the raging bull once he gets the gist).

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
The fact that its a game at home to play off rivals should be enough to motivate them. I'd be more concerned of half the team were made up of El Abds, they might 'get it' but are much more likely to do something stupid.

Whatever happens we cannot concede early. We all know what happens when we do that.

AWillis

Mar 14, 2013
Hove
I think its a good thing. Even if they dont have any idea what it means to play palace, they know its an important game to help our push for the play offs so they should step up to it.

I think it'll end a draw but you never know...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The players should be as dispassionate as possible ideally. They are then far less likely to make errors or get booked/sent off. If they are not motivated or giving their all in every competitive game frankly they are not worth retaining. Leave the snarling to the fans, the players need to be professional in their approach.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If they don't know by now,they should how many more times are our players going to stand down and take it,personally striker or not i feel Palace will be on the end of a backlash,i am hoping the players wish to stand up,be counted and restore a bit of professional pride.

Perhaps the Barnsley result was the best thing that could happen to us,could be a blessing in disguise...

Gold, forever the optimist..

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I want to see the players give 100% at all times. For passion and commitment i would love to see 11 AEL's on the pitch, but we need to treat this as a game against a play off rival, which it is. The players need to focus on the task in hand. The fans can give it the large one.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Charlie 'get's it' and I hope by now Gus does too. I think we'll attempt to dominate like we normally do but go all out in the second half looking for the three points.

I don't think we'll really be really going for it because it's Palace; we'll be really going for it because we need a win now or the play-offs will be out of reach. We need some big, big performances against some hard clubs. Playing well and getting a point won't be good enough any more. Win by any means.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good thing - at the end of the day to the players it should be just another game where we hope to get 3 points in the push for the play offs. It is a huge game not because it is Palace but because we need 3 points to get the push back on and we are running out of games.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If they aren't aware of it, or don't understand it, they certainly will come kick off! The atmosphere will be electric, Falmer will be full and it's one of those days where players become Legends. Or complete villains never to be forgotten, Lewis Dunk.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Firstly, those that were here last year will know a bit about it. And secondly, all of these players will have supported and/or played in teams that have played against big rivals, some in bigger rivalries than ours with Palace. I'm sure they know how important the match is to the club and its supporters, even if they don't have the same understanding of it as we do. IN some ways, I think this is better as the players know it's a huge match for all concerned, but won't do anything stupid purely out of hatred of the opposition.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We have had plenty pf players who understood it in the past and then ****ed up. Christ we even had that turd Coppell as manager when we lost 5-0 there!

So overall it is a good thing.

Much more importantly though is whether they have any energy left as last season we ran out of it on the 60th minute. We looked knackered on Tuesday night, and not much better at Bristol. I'm hoping the fitness isn't a problem on Sunday because Palace have had a longer rest than us.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
with el abd out, there is a chance that there could be only one player starting for us who really has any idea what it means to play palace, and he's a loan player - dean hammond.

I can't work out whether this is a good or bad thing.

Good - it will feel like 'just another game' and the players will keep cool and calm.
Bad - it will feel like 'just another game' and players won't be able to rise to the occasion.

Convince me one way or the other please.

why would charlie,adam and dean be aware of what it means,the rivalry was back in the 70/80's?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
If they don't know by now,they should how many more times are our players going to stand down and take it,personally striker or not i feel Palace will be on the end of a backlash,i am hoping the players wish to stand up,be counted and restore a bit of professional pride.

Perhaps the Barnsley result was the best thing that could happen to us,could be a blessing in disguise...

Gold, forever the optimist..

I like this a lot - the players have lost us a little bit over the last few games, what better way to get us believing again.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I heard some talk from a reporter at the Argus on the radio yesterday -
they were talking about whether we'd blown our chances for the play offs etc, the Argus fella said he talks to people at the club almost every day and said that from the bottom to the top the staff at the club believe they can do it, there is no negativity within the club about our chances for success.
Pretty obvious thing to say really but to hear it helped me recover from Tuesday's disappointing result.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just need to tell the Spanish Armada that Palace think they are Barcelona wannabes in that red and blue kit.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I would imagine Adam will be in the dressing room before the match and at training this week letting all the players know how much this means to the fans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here