Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright heads YouTube football channel

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This looks like it could be quite interesting.

[yt]ZWgj0N0W_9M[/yt]

Ian Wright heads YouTube football channel | News | Broadcast

Fans of football teams such as Huddersfield, Luton and Leeds are being targeted by a new YouTube channel, fronted by former Arsenal striker Ian Wright.

Ball Street, which has been co-founded by former TalkSport sales director Matt Wilson, soft launched late last week and will feature comprehensive coverage about teams outside of the top six Premier League clubs.

One 30 minute show will be uploaded each week featuring comment, debate and analysis about non-top six teams and lower league clubs.

Wright will host the show with a co-presenter from a studio as well as visit a variety of grounds to meet fans.

The channel, which is being exec produced by former BBC head of football Caj Sohal aims to be as interactive as possible, with Wright responding to questions and topics posted by fans.

Research suggests that the majority of football fans are currently underserved online, with 80% of fans going to games outside of the Premier League’s top six teams - which dominate the media coverage.

Ball Street, which is currently being seed-funded, plans to kick off commercial conversations with potential sponsors shortly.

The channel will be promoted on Twitter via the hashtag #ClubTogether, with Wright, who has invested in the business, urging his 600,000 followers to get involved with the content produced.

“Everything these days is about the Premier League but we know there are clubs and fans out there that outside of the top teams that deserve the same kind of treatment,” said Wright, who started his career at Crystal Palace.

Co-founder Stuart McDonald said Ball Street was well-positioned to take advantage of a genuine niche.

“Whereas broadcasters have made great strides in bringing social into the broadcast experience, we see social and broadcast as the same,” he said.

“Our team has a track record of delivering successful programming for the likes of ESPN and pioneering branded content deals and we also have the relationships and partnerships to grow the business by securing the right commercial and distribution partners.”

----------------------

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Nice idea.

Though I would add that I genuinely don't understand how Wright has had the broadcasting career he's had. Does anyone like him? He's just annoying beyond words. I'm still (10 years later?) aggravated by that 'posh' chicken tonight advert he did. Bleurgh.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me the all-time low football punditry moment was when Ian Wright commented live on air "Sven must be creaming himself with that first-half performance!"

If memory serves me correctly it was England vs Denmark WC2002.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here