Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn 8,000 for an FA cup quarter final

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not sure what to make of that, you are one game away from Wembley in the fa cup and only 8,000 turn up. This is the fa cup not the auto windscreens tin paint trophy. I know only recently we have started getting big crowds,but given the capacity we would always get a decent crowd at this stage in the competition. I should add prior to tonights game only 10,000 Blackburn fans had bothered to watch them in the fa cup this year. Relative to the clubs size I can't think of another team with poorer support in the competition..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We're on 23,000 and out of the FA Cup. Beaten at home by Arsenal, the side Blackburn beat.

Take that, Blackburn!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suspect plenty of teams would be looking at similar. It was against Millwall. It's an extra expense on top of season tickets. People aren't bothered about the cup.

It's probably a disappointing reflection on the cup & the price of football more than anything else.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Not sure what to make of that, you are one game away from Wembley in the fa cup and only 8,000 turn up. This is the fa cup not the auto windscreens tin paint trophy. I know only recently we have started getting big crowds,but given the capacity we would always get a decent crowd at this stage in the competition. I should add prior to tonights game only 10,000 Blackburn fans had bothered to watch them in the fa cup this year. Relative to the clubs size I can't think of another team with poorer support in the competition..
We shouldn't gloat being in the fortunate position we find ourselves in. Cast your mind back to the mid nineties when Bill Archer was the owner.He was despised much like the Venky's are now. We were getting extremely poor crowds at the Goldstone due to people boycotting the club. Much like Blackburn fans are doing now. If/when the Venkys sell up and Blackburn regain some form the fans will return.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Blackburn often got small crowds in the 70s and 80s. They only really took off when Jack Walker pumped £millions into the club. Comparing the Venkys, not ideal owners, to Archer or Stanley is ridiculous.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brighton often got small crowds in the 1990s and 2000s. They only really took off when Tony Bloom pumped £millions into the club.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Blackburn is a fairly deprived area, I'm not surprised their crowds have dropped off so dramatically tbh, a team that can attract reasonable crowds when they are doing well but tend to drop off when they revert to being fairly average.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Blackburn is a fairly deprived area, I'm not surprised their crowds have dropped off so dramatically tbh, a team that can attract reasonable crowds when they are doing well but tend to drop off when they revert to being fairly average.

A relatively small 106k population might be a major factor I suspect....

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Fair play to them. Voting with their feet against scumbag owners. They should be commended. All you cussing them off hang your heads in shame and go join the clueless queue.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Fair play to them. Voting with their feet against scumbag owners. They should be commended. All you cussing them off hang your heads in shame and go join the clueless queue.

Even in the darkest days of Stanley, Archer and Bellotti I fully believe we would have sold out the Goldstone for an FA Cup quarter final one game from Wembley match rather than sell 25% of ground like Blackburn have just done, not including away fans.
I admire them for protesting but when push comes to shove support the team just like we did in the final Goldstone season. You can protest against the board and support the team at the same time. Look what it did to us in that season

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Even in the darkest days of Stanley, Archer and Bellotti I fully believe we would have sold out the Goldstone for an FA Cup quarter final one game from Wembley match rather than sell 25% of ground like Blackburn have just done, not including away fans.
I admire them for protesting but when push comes to shove support the team just like we did in the final Goldstone season. You can protest against the board and support the team at the same time. Look what it did to us in that season

An FA Cup quarter final would have been unthinkable to us. They've been playing in the top tier for two decades.

Prices were a lot different in the early 90s as well. I can't imagine we would have been selling quite so many tickets if they were not pocket change.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blackburn often got small crowds in the 70s and 80s. They only really took off when Jack Walker pumped £millions into the club. Comparing the Venkys, not ideal owners, to Archer or Stanley is ridiculous.
Don't tell me you've forgotten the £8m signings we made in the 90s?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
As someone said, it is against Millwall. Not exactly a glamour tie; will play them twice this season in the league. I feel if it was Chelsea, United or City, it would have been packed.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
An FA Cup quarter final would have been unthinkable to us. They've been playing in the top tier for two decades.

Prices were a lot different in the early 90s as well. I can't imagine we would have been selling quite so many tickets if they were not pocket change.

A couple of seasons of 8000-11000 crowds and FA Cup quarter finals will become unthinkable to Blackburn too

8000 for a quarter final in new or old money is dreadful no matter who the opponents are.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As someone said, it is against Millwall. Not exactly a glamour tie; will play them twice this season in the league. I feel if it was Chelsea, United or City, it would have been packed.

Who the opposition is is not really relevant for an FA Cup quarter final, in fact Millwall are arguably more of a draw than the other three because it's potentially an easier passage through.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't think Blackburn supporters take the FA Cup all that seriously. The first time they reached the Final they only attracted 4,000 spectators. So 8,000 tonight is pretty good in comparison.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Who the opposition is is not really relevant for an FA Cup quarter final, in fact Millwall are arguably more of a draw than the other three because it's potentially an easier passage through.

I see what you are saying, but I still think a 'big' team would pull the crowd more. Simply because it has that star appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here