Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticks Renewal - Have to allow personal data to be passed to anyone the club choose?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I went online tonight to renew my season ticket and understandably needed to confirm my address etc. But, hang on what's the blurb saying? I agree to my details being passed (sold) to:

"sponsors, affiliates and official suppliers to the aforesaid companies and any other suppliers of goods and services we believe may be of interest to you.....The Companies may inform you from time to time by e-mail, text, telephone, or mail about relevant news and information and services and products offered by any of them which they believe may be of interest to you."

Ok, I thought, where's the little opt out box I need to click. Oh, there isn't one.

Looks like we have to accept that our details will be sold. Does this comply with the Data Protection Act?

Am I missing something??

Last edited:

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Once registered, you will be able to make online purchases.

The information and data ('Personal Data') which is provided by you in this registration form will be held on the computers and manual records of, and will be used by Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and other companies in the club, sponsors, affiliates and official suppliers to the aforesaid companies and any other suppliers of goods and services we believe may be of interest to you (collectively 'the Companies'). At any time a complete list of the then current Companies is available on request from the address set out below. The Personal Data shall be used by the Companies for the following purposes:

to update and develop the Companies' records and for assessment and analysis including market and product analysis;
to assist the Companies in providing their services/products to you; and
to enable the Companies to review, develop and improve the services offered by them. The Companies may inform you from time to time by e-mail, text, telephone, or mail about relevant news and information and services and products offered by any of them which they believe may be of interest to you.

Wow prepare yourself for a deluge of shite, I would say if you don't want it don't update.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Having checked this out on the ICO website the club is being a bit underhand with this. You can tell them they cant use your data like this

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I got this email...I thought they are just renewing with a higher charge!

You don't have to update your details do you?

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
No as they automatically renew if they don't hear from you. I got an e mail telling me to update in line with "data protection". I feel this seems to be very underhand as they will flog your data to the highest bidder and then you have lost control as it will probably be sold on

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I went online tonight to renew my season ticket and understandably needed to confirm my address etc. But, hang on what's the blurb saying? I agree to my details being passed (sold) to:

"sponsors, affiliates and official suppliers to the aforesaid companies and any other suppliers of goods and services we believe may be of interest to you.....The Companies may inform you from time to time by e-mail, text, telephone, or mail about relevant news and information and services and products offered by any of them which they believe may be of interest to you."

Ok, I thought, where's the little opt out box I need to click. Oh, there isn't one.

Looks like we have to accept that our details will be sold. Does this comply with the Data Protection Act?

Am I missing something??

You've answered your own question. You are opting in by signing up so the club is perfectly within its right to market to you or sell your details to others to. HOWEVER they need to offer you a method of opting out. There are no hard and fast laws for this although most reputable companies will make this as easy as possible or offer it at point of sign up. I'm sure if you spoke to the club they would do the honours and remove your details.

That said though its hardly the end of the world getting an email or some DM through the post is it especially when its making the club a bob or two?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You've answered your own question. You are opting in by signing up so the club is perfectly within its right to market to you or sell your details to others to. HOWEVER they need to offer you a method of opting out. There are no hard and fast laws for this although most reputable companies will make this as easy as possible or offer it at point of sign up. I'm sure if you spoke to the club they would do the honours and remove your details.

That said though its hardly the end of the world getting an email or some DM through the post is it especially when its making the club a bob or two?

I'm not they actually need to offer you the opportunity to opt out. But by getting someone to review their data to be told it will be passed - they've covered themselves.

No idea if this is true because I delete marketing emails from the club routinely. But if the above is true and I reiterate if true. Then yes, well beneath the club. Very naughty.

I definitely do not want the club passing on my details because I have a daily battle with junk post because the refuse restrictions up here.

If I get anything from a local estate agent I simply walk in and drop it on someone's desk. I've got a very clear sign on my door.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I definitely do not want the club passing on my details because I have a daily battle with junk post because the refuse restrictions up here.

Junk mail solution (for general mail spammers, not BHAFC), a lot of them have a reply paid envelope, simply stick as much junk as you can in the envelope and post it back to them. This not only causes them aggro having to dispose of it but keeps posties employed delivering it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Meh, If some muppet firm are paying the club big money for my details then so be it. It'll only go in my spam folder anyway and I never answer the land line as it's only all bollocks thses days.

Anyone who knows me calls my mobile.

More money for the club the better.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Junk mail solution (for general mail spammers, not BHAFC), a lot of them have a reply paid envelope, simply stick as much junk as you can in the envelope and post it back to them. This not only causes them aggro having to dispose of it but keeps posties employed delivering it.

Mine is generally from local companies usually fast food and estate agents. Clear sign on the door. So I don't blame the postie, it isn't coming from him.

It isn't just leaflets either. Sometimes hugely expensive brochures. Does my head in. I have no I interest it, have a sign clearly stating so and have to bag the sodding stuff up.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm not they actually need to offer you the opportunity to opt out. But by getting someone to review their data to be told it will be passed - they've covered themselves.

No idea if this is true because I delete marketing emails from the club routinely. But if the above is true and I reiterate if true. Then yes, well beneath the club. Very naughty.

If I get anything from a local estate agent I simply walk in and drop it on someone's desk. I've got a very clear sign on my door.

The trouble is each method of communication has different laws behind it.

To market via telephone (assuming you are on the TPS) unless you have specifically agreed for the company in question to contact you then the club will either have to screen your details against the TPS before they sell it OR agree with the person they are selling it to that they will screen against TPS. This is a legal requirement and covers both landline and mobiles (however doesn't include SMS). That said successful convictions from the TPS are few and far between from what I understand.

To market via email unless its a member communication (i.e. not advertising or marketing a product) then the sender HAS to provide the user with a method of opt-ing out from further email communications. Again this is law.

Direct mail as far as I know there is no law preventing a company sending this to you. There is a mailing preference service but it is only best practice and not the law. Also I don't think having a sticker on your door has any legal standing what so ever. How do you think the Royal Mail makes a large chunk of it money?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Sand...

Most large scale junk mailer also have automated machines to open incoming mail. A few pinches of sand/salt/sugar in the envelope and it f**ks with the machine, especially when it gets into the grease and they need to strip the machine completely.

I have no qualms whatsoever about counter-abusing junk mailers or junk callers. Scum of the Earth, all of them, even the ones from companies I would otherwise support wholeheartedly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here