Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPad Mini or Nexus 7

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm giving myself a right old headache over this one.

Every day this week I've gone in to my local Tesco's and looked at both the above tablets, 'umming' and 'arring'. Then spending at least an hour each night scouring Google trying to find an answer!

There is only one place on this planet where such a question can be answered, and this is of course, NSC.

Google Nexus 7:

£159.00 - 16 GB - 7.0 Inch Screen - Android
Other benefits: Software is much less restrictive, resolution is better, hardware is much better, tablet is a lot cheaper.

Apple iPad Mini:

£269.00 - 16 GB - 7.9 Inch Screen - Apple IOS
Other benefits: Trustworthy Apple software/hardware, quite visibly larger screen, easy to use (I currently use an iPhone 4).

--

Has anyone had much experience with either device?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Also got a nexus 7. Two years ago I bought an Asus Transformer which is 10 inches screensize. The 7 inches of the nexus make it far more comfortable to hold.It's very zippy both for browsing and for games and other applications. I've had mine since just after crimbo and I would heartily recommend it!

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
nexus all the way, it is a fantastic tablet. just remember although apple is good at what they do there iphones/pads ect are limited in many ways. Also, the nexus is made by Google and Asus who are giants in their own right. If you dont know much about Asus, they make some of the best P.C components on the market.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How do you get on with the screen size? It looks pretty small in comparison to the other similarly sized tablets.

As far as screen size, 7 inches is so much more portable than 10 but is far removed from larger phones in quality of experience (I have an HTC one x).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The bigger screen size of the iPad mini makes such a positive difference to using it. And it doesn't have such a big border around the edge that the Nexus does. So the iPad has a bigger screen and is lighter. I chose the iPad mini for these and other reasons.

However, if you are more price conscious, go for the Nexus.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
. just remember although apple is good at what they do there iphones/pads ect are limited in many ways.

Being a bit more specific would be helpful.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Looks like a comfortable 3 - 0 advantage to the Nexus 7 so far.
Thanks for the responses so far guys, much appreciated.

The bigger screen size of the iPad mini makes such a positive difference to using it. And it doesn't have such a big border around the edge that the Nexus does. So the iPad has a bigger screen and is lighter. I chose the iPad mini for these and other reasons.

However, if you are more price conscious, go for the Nexus.

Edit: Nexus 3 - 1 Apple

The contrast in screen size is probably the biggest draw to me at the moment. The price difference doesn't really make too much of an impact right now, the most important thing is to have a tablet which I'll enjoy using for at least the next 12-18 months.

The thick and unnecessary border around the Nexus 7 puts me off a little bit, however the hardware on the Nexus is better on every single account than the Mini.. Don't know what to do!! :shrug:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Grab an Ipad Mini from Apple (store or online) try for 14 days then return if not happy. I'm not saying the Ipad Mini is better ( I have one and I like it ) but at least you can see if the Ipad Mini is worth it, risk free.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
3-1 now!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The bigger screen size of the iPad mini makes such a positive difference to using it.

Have you used a nexus Goldstone? I went from a larger screen to a smaller one and haven't looked back. It's so much more comfortable to hold a smaller unit and I can honestly say my all-around experience is enhanced, especially as the nexus screen quality is so good.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Have you used a nexus Goldstone? I went from a larger screen to a smaller one and haven't looked back. It's so much more comfortable to hold a smaller unit and I can honestly say my all-around experience is enhanced, especially as the nexus screen quality is so good.

I have although not as something to own. I like the rubbery back of it. Very comfortable to hold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like a comfortable 3 - 0 advantage to the Nexus 7 so far.
Thanks for the responses so far guys, much appreciated.

People are just going to answer with the device they personally own. There will be very few people with extensive hands on experience of both, and even fewer who own both.

My iPad mini is the best thing I own, and I include my iPhone 5, my MacBook Pro and my children when i say that.

Both are highly capable devices and there is no wrong answer - you'll not feel disappointed with either. If you already have some investment in the iOS ecosystem via your phone, it will make an iPad a more compelling choice, but the purchase price differential can't be ignored foe the price conscious. That said Apple kit hold value like nothing else and you'll get most of that difference back when it comes to re-sale time.

I agree on the 7" v 10" debate (although the mini is actually just shy of 8") - I find the mini a lot more usable than the big boy iPad we still have.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I like the rubbery back of it. Very comfortable to hold.

SNN0214XX2G_280_604061a.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you want to know what NSC really thinks, I'll give you the stats from our Analytics. Over the last month...

NSC visits from iPads: 61,603
NSC visits from Nexus 7: 2,899

The Tapatalk stats (in the sticky at the top of the page) also back up that iPad (and iOS generally) is the official choice of NSCers. We're a shrewd bunch.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The thick and unnecessary border around the Nexus 7 puts me off a little bit, however the hardware on the Nexus is better on every single account than the Mini.. Don't know what to do!! :shrug:

Don't let the border put you off. In some ways, for some applications, it can be an advantage as your fingers can overlap the front of the tablet without accidentally doing something with the touch sensitive part of the screen.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I'm giving myself a right old headache over this one.

Every day this week I've gone in to my local Tesco's and looked at both the above tablets, 'umming' and 'arring'. Then spending at least an hour each night scouring Google trying to find an answer!

There is only one place on this planet where such a question can be answered, and this is of course, NSC.

Google Nexus 7:

£159.00 - 16 GB - 7.0 Inch Screen - Android
Other benefits: Software is much less restrictive, resolution is better, hardware is much better, tablet is a lot cheaper.

Apple iPad Mini:

£269.00 - 16 GB - 7.9 Inch Screen - Apple IOS
Other benefits: Trustworthy Apple software/hardware, quite visibly larger screen, easy to use (I currently use an iPhone 4).

--

Has anyone had much experience with either device?

Typing on my nexus and have not put it down since crimbo. Love it, my opinion is the IPad is also good but not worth the extra spondoonies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here