Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being ‘nearly there’ seems more frustrating than being rubbish.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having read the responses to recent defeats I have been surprised at the vitriol. Here are my thoughts. Excuse the long windedness.

Obviously in the past we’ve had periods where everyone went expecting to lose. This seemed somehow easier than the current situation because we all understood the club’s limitations. We had no money and very little way of making any money and so simply had to hope to unearth gems or have a manager who found a winning formula. Everything we achieved felt like it was done against the odds. This reflected back our view of ourselves as fans who had had to fight and sealed a bond between playing staff and supporters.

Now we know that we have the set up to compete, so expectations are higher. This season’s team has, in patches, played technically the best football Brighton has ever played and neutrals generally have nothing but praise for Poyet’s intentions. We watch it all the time and at times I have had to pinch myself, having never believed that I would see my team play with such fluency. However, knowing what they are capable of, makes it harder to accept the team’s failings, the inability to break teams down, the tendency to concede quick goals after getting back into a game, the petulance borne of frustration sometimes shown when things are going badly.

It is tempting to lay the blame with Poyet. He doesn’t make life easy for himself as he is very honest when speaking with the media. If asked a question, he does his best to answer it. This has led to accusations of courting other clubs, tactical inflexibility and even racism.

However, it should be remembered that Poyet has, with Bloom, been responsible for the higher expectations. It was Poyet’s style of football that allowed an unfancied team on a relatively small budget to blow apart league one, prompting fans of other teams to give reviews such as this:

Great Football League Teams 36: Brighton and Hove Albion 2010-11 | The Two Unfortunates

Brighton are now higher than they have ever been in the modern premiership era and yet some fans are saying that Poyet should go. I suspect that fans are less forgiving because, despite the hard fought for new stadium and at times breathtakingly entertaining football, the emotional attachment between club and fans feels lessened. There is evidence of this in fan reactions to the changes to Gully’s Girls, the perceived threat to Albion in the Community, the arguments about standing and related fan treatment. It feels to me that, as the club moves forward, it will be extremely difficult to sustain the unique character of Brighton.

Personally, I would find it difficult to maintain the same level of interest should the club become another faceless business whose main ambition is competing for mid table respectability in the Premiership. Therefore, I welcome the fact that Poyet wants Brighton to become associated with a style of play that, defines the club. This seems to suggest that he holds values which are higher than win-at-all costs and I like that.

However fans want to win and, even if most accept that going from our base three years ago to the Championship Play Offs is a huge ask, they need to share in what Fletch from Porridge called ‘little victories’ to strengthen the bond with the playing staff along the way. Apart from the comeback against Doncaster and the close run thing with 9 against Burnley, this has been largely absent. The class and technical ability cannot provide this.

What may do is winning a derby match against the odds…

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup. It's horrible playing LOVELY football and not quite reaping the rewards. I'm determined to stick with Gus though, because going up playing this way would be MILES better than going up playing less attractive football.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The final step is always the hardest. Just ask Swansea, who took years to make the transition from League 1 Flairniac Champions to Championship Play-Off winners. They didn't always finish inside the top 6, either. It's nothing to worry about, we're making massive strides but we're still just that little bit short. Which is hardly suprising considering where we came from. If we have not made the step up into the top 6 at this stage NEXT season, then maybe we could start jerking our knees and suggesting Gus has done what he can... etc.

Right now though, we're very VERY close to being a club capable of seriously challenging for the Premier League. We are so close we're flirting with it, but not quite able to follow through on that flirting at this stage. We can get the girl/bloke into bed, but we're hopelessly short of action.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Please post more often. We have so many negative TWATS on here without a brain.

Jimmy Grimble

Good post.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally, I would find it difficult to maintain the same level of interest should the club become another faceless business whose main ambition is competing for mid table respectability in the Premiership. Therefore, I welcome the fact that Poyet wants Brighton to become associated with a style of play that, defines the club. This seems to suggest that he holds values which are higher than win-at-all costs and I like that.

Ohh I do like this post but particular this bit. Congrats

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Having read the responses to recent defeats I have been surprised at the vitriol. Here are my thoughts. Excuse the long windedness.

Obviously in the past we’ve had periods where everyone went expecting to lose. This seemed somehow easier than the current situation because we all understood the club’s limitations. We had no money and very little way of making any money and so simply had to hope to unearth gems or have a manager who found a winning formula. Everything we achieved felt like it was done against the odds. This reflected back our view of ourselves as fans who had had to fight and sealed a bond between playing staff and supporters.

Now we know that we have the set up to compete, so expectations are higher. This season’s team has, in patches, played technically the best football Brighton has ever played and neutrals generally have nothing but praise for Poyet’s intentions. We watch it all the time and at times I have had to pinch myself, having never believed that I would see my team play with such fluency. However, knowing what they are capable of, makes it harder to accept the team’s failings, the inability to break teams down, the tendency to concede quick goals after getting back into a game, the petulance borne of frustration sometimes shown when things are going badly.

It is tempting to lay the blame with Poyet. He doesn’t make life easy for himself as he is very honest when speaking with the media. If asked a question, he does his best to answer it. This has led to accusations of courting other clubs, tactical inflexibility and even racism.

However, it should be remembered that Poyet has, with Bloom, been responsible for the higher expectations. It was Poyet’s style of football that allowed an unfancied team on a relatively small budget to blow apart league one, prompting fans of other teams to give reviews such as this:

Great Football League Teams 36: Brighton and Hove Albion 2010-11 | The Two Unfortunates

Brighton are now higher than they have ever been in the modern premiership era and yet some fans are saying that Poyet should go. I suspect that fans are less forgiving because, despite the hard fought for new stadium and at times breathtakingly entertaining football, the emotional attachment between club and fans feels lessened. There is evidence of this in fan reactions to the changes to Gully’s Girls, the perceived threat to Albion in the Community, the arguments about standing and related fan treatment. It feels to me that, as the club moves forward, it will be extremely difficult to sustain the unique character of Brighton.

However fans want to win and, even if most accept that going from our base three years ago to the Championship Play Offs is a huge ask, they need to share in what Fletch from Porridge called ‘little victories’ to strengthen the bond with the playing staff along the way. Apart from the comeback against Doncaster and the close run thing with 9 against Burnley, this has been largely absent. The class and technical ability cannot provide this.

I'm not sure you need any more plaudits re this post ..but that's the probably the most well constructed, concise and balanced summary that I've seen on here for some while

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The man speaks a lot of sense esp 'little victories', and faceless Premiership, but I do take issue with the above.

I'm still very much on the Gus Bus, but I took my rosy tinted shades off a very long time ago, and now finding myself regularly asking questions of the driver.

Everything happening around the pitch would be fairly inconsequential if we weren't heading straight down the same cul-de-sac that the club drove into last season.

We have a third striker, no baggage, but the exact same problems with a markedly better side, that still can't win after conceding a goal.

Fingers crossed that's just a knee jerk reaction to a poor series of results, and obviously if this is as bad as it gets, we have a awful lot to be grateful for.
But if it's not then at some point questions have to be asked and now is as good a time as any.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Spread this around every negative thread please:) Excellent stuff. No doubt there appears to be a lot of posters who would complain if after 2 years in the prem that we hadn't qualified for the Champions league.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's time for the classic quote from the John Cleese film Clockwise:

It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
A good dose of reality, rather than some of the stuff that gets touted. 3 home games out 4 coming up. We'll either be in the mix or not but I'd rather be here than where we were 3 years ago. I remember a pretty desperate battle to save us from relegation. Have quite enjoyed the Poyet years and there's more to come. We have no divine right to win or be promoted. If it was that simple...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Good post. I think part of the problem, as far as all the negativity goes, is that there is a core group of fans who seem to think that only the fans matter, that this game of football has nothing to do with the team, the club, the players or Poyet, but about keeping this core group of fans happy. From "standing up" to "Poyet must go", they don't seem happy to simply enjoy the game of football, but feel that they are entitled to some kind of personal satisfaction and recognition as "real fans".

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

:ascarf: :ascarf:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The OP has made an excellent post and a very good case for being more patient. I think that it's just pure frustration at the number of times this season that I have seen Brighton lose or draw games when our play merits a win, that has sown seeds of doubt in my mind. I have never wanted him out but I do want to see him add a bit of variety to his game plan. We are not far off being a top team in this league and from the off it was a five year plan, we have a while to go yet. Nobody can sensibly argue that we are not going in the right direction. I feel deep down that we are not going to make the playoffs this year and that we may lose some players because of it, so we may have to take a step back before we take another step forwards.

As long as Gus learns from this year's frustration all will be well but he is a stubborn one....

Great thread title btw.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm not sure you need any more plaudits re this post ..but that's the probably the most well constructed, concise and balanced summary that I've seen on here for some while

Hear Hear!! Just the kind of highly realistic analysis I needed to restore my failing belief after those two away defeats. Excellent "Great Football Teams" article even if it did remind me about a certain centre forward who we'll be facing on Sunday! Thanks anyway.

D

Deleted member 2719

The OP has made an excellent post and a very good case for being more patient. I think that it's just pure frustration at the number of times this season that I have seen Brighton lose or draw games when our play merits a win, that has sown seeds of doubt in my mind. I have never wanted him out but I do want to see him add a bit of variety to his game plan. We are not far off being a top team in this league and from the off it was a five year plan, we have a while to go yet. Nobody can sensibly argue that we are not going in the right direction. I feel deep down that we are not going to make the playoffs this year and that we may lose some players because of it, so we may have to take a step back before we take another step forwards.

As long as Gus learns from this year's frustration all will be well but he is a stubborn one....

Great thread title btw.

I also agree, but with your point of missing the play offs is my worry, because if we miss them i feel decline could set in and this locomotive has built a head of steam and the coal (budget) has been running low and the train is looking sluggish when it comes to a slight incline.

How much more coal can we find in our mine to feed the hungry engine driver?

Could the engine driver have used his coal better or more importantly will he want too?

If the engine driver goes on to the Flying Scotsman will we be left with an empty mine and ticket inspector driving?

Come on let's use some ethanol (raw power) in our train for Palace for a change.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This is the return of "close,but no coconutism" that was rife in the 1950's.

Every season,some other team pipped us to it,leading to "Brighton ? They don't want promotion."

And so it went on until 1957/8 when somebody forgot to tell Adrian Thorne and the fool got five against Watford in a rearranged game at the end of the season.

It wasn't realised just how half-witted this was until the first game of the following season............

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are assuming he's learned from last season.

Current evidence suggests that might not be the case.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The part I totally agree with is the expectation of fans, maybe I get carried away with this as my expectations for this season have been Play Off's at the least and anything less would be failure.

Maybe my expectation levels are set far too high but I worry, without success our gates will drop and with that our income and then our further chances of promotion. While it worries me going up and potential failure in the Premier my expectation levels would be lower and relegation and less painful blow to accept as oppossed to being the nearly men of the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here