Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qataris propose "Dream Football League", a semi annual cup for World's top 24 teams

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Qataris propose "Dream Football League", a semi annual cup for World's top 24 teams

The tournament - to be held in the Gulf every other year - would involve 24 of the world's top clubs, potentially including four from England.

Oil-rich billionaires could offer up to £175m to the world's biggest clubs just to take part in a summer 'Dream Football League'.

The tournament - to be held in six cities in the Gulf region every other year, starting in 2015 - would involve 24 elite clubs.

Organisers would hope to attract four English clubs from Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur to take part, a report in The Times today claims.

The DFL would be bankrolled by the Qatari royal family in the hope it would rival or even overtake the Champions League and Club World Cup due to the eye-wateringly high sums involved.

The DFL would involve 16 permanent members with eight other teams invited to take part in each tournament.

The report says top clubs like Barcelona and Manchester United would be offered £175m to turn up - massively dwarfing the £47.3m Chelsea banked for actually winning the Champions League last season.

Matches would take place in the 40-degree heat of the Middle Eastern summer but officials have confidence in stadium climate-control technology which will also be used for the 2022 World Cup.

The project is apparently being driven from both Qatar and Paris after the recent takeover of Paris Saint-Germain by Qatari Sports Investment.

They would hope to entice Barcelona, given they are sponsored by the Qatar Foundation, shortly to be replaced by Qatar Airways.

Any participation by English clubs would further open up the huge financial chasm between the Premier League's big guns and the rest.

It is not known if Scottish rivals Celtic and Rangers would be invited to join the DFL, which would take place in odd-numbered years to avoid clashing with World Cups and European Championships.

It remains to be seen how the sport's governing bodies, national leagues and potential participants will react to the blueprints.

UEFA and the Premier League did not comment when approached by the newspaper yesterday.

Horrendous to think this could actually happen. :down:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
cash-mexico-460a_981057c.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amazed no-one else has commented on this. Countless threads on Poyet's position and something like this passes unremarked.

If this plan comes to fruition, it will mean the end of the limited competitiveness of the PL, with those outside the clique hoping for 7th at the best. It's also a strong indicator that the 2022 WC will be in the summer after all. I also suspect, ultimately, it will see the end of PL involvement in the League Cup

On the plus side, it will stop the moaning from the likes of Taggart and Wenger about too many games.

But can't help thinking this is not a move good for football.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This concept is a spoof which came from a satirical French article which was then picked up as being genuine by a Qatar-based news source, which then in turn was picked up by everyone else. Either that or it is a huge coincidence

Is the Dream Football League a nightmare hoax for the English press? - Sport Witness

The Times are running it as their back page splash so they think it's got legs. I'm not sure if the big boys can be prised away from their respective leagues every 2 years for it though. It would have to be permanent as there is no way that a few clubs can be allowed to opt out of the premiership when they want. Also a very large loser in this will be the fans. Most United fans can't afford the fare from London to Quatar so games would be played in very barren stadiums.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Re: Qataris propose "Dream Football League", a semi annual cup for World's top 24 teams

Sooner the better in my view. There's no competitiveness anyway in the top four/six whatever. Let them have their mega super league and be done with it.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The Times are running it as their back page splash so they think it's got legs. I'm not sure if the big boys can be prised away from their respective leagues every 2 years for it though. It would have to be permanent as there is no way that a few clubs can be allowed to opt out of the premiership when they want. Also a very large loser in this will be the fans. Most United fans can't afford the fare from London to Quatar so games would be played in very barren stadiums.

How i see it the clubs would still be in the premiership and not opt out as the tournament would play every 2 years in the summer .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Qataris propose "Dream Football League", a semi annual cup for World's top 24

I cannot see Rangers and Celtic being invited. Imagine what the 40 degree c heat would do to their ginger haired pasty complexions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How i see it the clubs would still be in the premiership and not opt out as the tournament would play every 2 years in the summer .

Couple of problems, it will have to somehow fit in between World Cup and Euro finals which are held in summer, plus a league of 24 divided up in to 4 mini leagues would still require a lot of games to be played in a short period of time which eats in to pre season and the minimal break between seasons. Top player burnout for certain unless you have a huge squad of galactico's.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So, it turns out this was nonsense.

But on Monday, the paper changed tack and admitted it had been "duped".

Evans said in the column: "There are times when all you can do is admit you were wrong. Last week, Times football ran a story that we thought was a blockbuster. The state of Qatar was proposing a new summer tournament that would offer stunning financial rewards to the teams who participated.

"It was a horrible prospect that threatened to transform the sport but appeared to be a brilliant story. The Dream Football League (DFL) would turn into a journalistic nightmare."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/18/times-duped-hoax-qatar-dream-football-story

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Hate to say I told you so but... no. Wait. I'm more than happy to say that.

Told you so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here