Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Barnsley thread

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Poor first half tonight, look tired and Barnsley wanted it more.

Buckley seem to have lost all his condidence to beat players and isn't the threat he was.

Bridcutt kept losing the ball unlike him. El Abd had a shocker. Ulloa got poor service. Hammond did little, Orlandi did little. Calderon looked good going forward. Upson was assured again. Lua Lua nearly changed the game. Barker showed some early promise and looked assured on the ball.

Overall second half performance merited a point but we need to take chances and stop gifting goals.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Buckley seem to have lost all his condidence to beat players and isn't the threat he was.

Bridcutt kept losing the ball unlike him. El Abd had a shocker. Ulloa got poor service. Hammond did little, Orlandi did little. Calderon looked good going forward. Upson was assured again. Lua Lua nearly changed the game. Barker showed some early promise and looked assured on the ball.

Overall second half performance merited a point but we need to take chances and stop gifting goals.

cheers for the penalty vid

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Sounds so much like the description for the Bristol game it's not true. The only difference being that we went 1 down and brought KLL on to try and salvage a point. Like I said on the match thread, it just seems that we can't get going for mid-week evening games.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Sounds so much like the description for the Bristol game it's not true. The only difference being that we went 1 down and brought KLL on to try and salvage a point. Like I said on the match thread, it just seems that we can't get going for mid-week evening games.

I've been saying for a while that we are incapable of winning matches in a Saturday/mid week run. Something about our fitness regime means we can't sustain looking fit twice in a week. We always look tired.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Calderon was my mom.

Little or nothing positive apart from that, even after three pints in hotel bar

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Well we might have players who can pass, but that was not a passing team tonight, either in shape or desire, and was a total contrast to Saturday. The whole basis of our passing game is (was) the midfielders making themselves available when the back 4 or Bridcutt have the ball. That means dropping back , coming short and 'showing ' for the ball - giving the classic 3 or 4 passing options. When we did this in the past, it may have been laborious and not incisive enough, but at least we kept possession. Tonight when playing out of the defence there were not enough midfield wanting the ball, and to take responsibility. They did not make themselves available by running those extra yards to drop back. Dave was parked on the right wing, and Hammond pushed up alongside Ulloa! This meant the ball had to go long. What Hammond hopes to achieve alongside Ulloa is anyone's guess, as he is certainly not fast enough to go for one over the top or from a flick on from Ulloa. Surely Gus can see this so either instructed it or condones it. Barnsley were not pressing that hard for us to have to adapt this way, the players seemed to choose it as being the easy way out.
Added to that 2 predominant right footers playing down the left flank in the first half which meant the balance of the side was wrong.
Generally these is no one who can take the game by the scruff of the neck, both with skill on the ball themself and taking the other players with them, consistently (that last word rules out Vicente). How ironic to see in the programme an article listing 10 of Albion's leading Captains - all natural leaders who were always in the thick of it an did not shirk responsibility.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Pretty much agree with all of that. Only bit i'd maybe alter was for me Barker did absolutely nothing when he came on, maybe i'm being over critical.

Would like to see their penalty again, but looked like El-abd was pulling the shirt of their forward. He had a shocker gifting them the first goal.

My positive from the night? Leaving Barnsley. Christ, what a dive.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was genuinely unaware Barker had touched the ball until his header didn't go too far wide. Maybe I was just distracted by Albions terrible footballing.

It was a standard Albion performance under Poyet. Slow, laboured and sloppy. Next to no attacking threat throughout, simple passes regularly going askew (I thought this was meant to be a passing team that kept possession? We are woefully inept at doing either), absolutely no interest in showing for the ball in midfield when it's at a defenders feet, no movement or pace throughout the team. All systemic faults of Poyets squad which I see every time I watch Albion play and that is why I am Poyet Out because the football is not improving to my eyes, and neither are the results. Not an over reaction, I'd have said the same after we beat cardiff. Lets just hope Palace don't shaft us too badly on Sunday because if the team that turned up tonight doesn't up their game significantly it will be UGLY come 1.45 on Sunday.

Last edited:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I was genuinely unaware Barker had touched the ball until his header didn't go too far wide. Maybe I was just distracted by Albions terrible footballing.

It was a standard Albion performance under Poyet. Slow, laboured and sloppy. Next to no attacking threat throughout, simple passes regularly going askew (I thought this was meant to be a passing team that kept possession? We are woefully inept at doing either), absolutely no interest in showing for the ball in midfield when it's at a defenders feet, no movement or pace throughout the team. All systemic faults of Poyets squad which I see every time I watch Albion play and that is why I am Poyet Out because the football is not improving to my eyes, and neither are the results. Not an over reaction, I'd have said the same after we beat cardiff. Lets just hope Palace don't shaft us too badly on Sunday because if the team that turned up tonight doesn't up their game significantly it will be UGLY come 1.45 on Sunday.

Interesting to read a well written 'Poyet out' post from a fan who actually goes to these away games rather than the usual NSC keyboard warriors.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Some interesting, well written comments there, which are not a million miles away from my own views of the current situation.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Very disappointing display - only Ulloa looks like scoring today and the passing last night was either abysmal or unbelievably sloppy. It is almost as if some of the players do not want to win in case we go up and they know they will be out of a job! The mindset has to change.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Sums it up for me. I nearly went last night but having gone to the others I just could not justify it. Unfortunately it is just far too predictable. Been going now for nearly 40 years mostly as ST holder and been to most of the away games, in all that time I've never been so frustrated as I am now. We have the team, we have the squad but we lack the nounce and that comes down to the stubborn tactics and the manager.

Posters keep harping on about the best football ever blah blah, what crap. The best football was when we got promoted to Division 1 and then stayed there. This side flatters to deceive.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Interesting to hear a fairly consistent view from all those travelling which seems at odds with the way the game came across on the radio commentary. It sounded like we were unlucky by some poor refereeing decisions and mis fortune in front of goal but the reality appears that it was a bit more of Bristol City away and our inability to take these games by the scruff of the neck and see them off

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Interesting to hear a fairly consistent view from all those travelling which seems at odds with the way the game came across on the radio commentary. It sounded like we were unlucky by some poor refereeing decisions and mis fortune in front of goal but the reality appears that it was a bit more of Bristol City away and our inability to take these games by the scruff of the neck and see them off

I was at last night's game and Bolton on Sat. I thought we played well at Bolton and were unlucky not to get at least a point. Last night we were rubbish.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It was a standard Albion performance under Poyet. Slow, laboured and sloppy.

Unfortunately I have witnessed this so many times at the Amex that it is getting on my last nerve.

Why do we turn up on the pitch so many times not looking up for it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Barnsley were not great but did remind me of our relegation battle in League One under Slade a bit.

I was just perplexed by the constant lumping it forwards, and the ability for anyone to get a foot on the ball, or pass a ball. Is this Poyets fault? Surely the players have to take blame for not doing the basics? I am not sure what else Poyet could have done with the team last night. Subs were hardly inspiring and we are down to bare bones.

Barker looked lively when he came on, and I do like that against our DS players that get a chance, they seem to play without any fear and have a lot of energy. Glad Kazenga decided to have one of his good games.

Don't understand what has happened to Buckley, won't take a player one, doesn't seem to want to run, fluffed 2 chances, which should have at least gone on target, if not scoring the early chance.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Have to agree although I am not in the Poyet out camp I do get frustrated at the slow labourious play, on the few occasions we play the ball with pace we are a match for anyone in this league however those occassions are very few and far between.

I can see what Poyet is trying to do but we are still making the same fundamental mistake that we made last season and it is just the improvement of the backline that has really moved on, to play the passing game it must be done with pace and at present I could keep up with most of our attacks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here