Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a new manager if we don't make the playoffs this season

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like a repeat of last season. We're up there with a shout, then fall away badly ... and this time with a much stronger squad. Not good enough.

Gus appears to not have what it takes to get us to the playoffs, let alone promotion. Sure he got us Ulloa, but has been dire in his ability to attract any other decent strikers. Vicente was on paper a wonderful signing, but what has he really done for us? Bruno started off like a firecracker, but what happened?

And far far too much tinkering with our starting line-ups.

He just may have taken us as far as he can.

I anticipate a deluge of insults, but hard to argue with the facts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All I can see now is next season being the same as this one if we don't get to the playoffs. In fact we could well drop back in the league next year.

Not sure Gus has the answers or tactics to get us out of this division. Maybe he'll prove me wrong on Sunday.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
We actually have less points than this time last season.

Still an easy three points on Sunday .....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think a lot of supporters accept that mid table is about right and we have flirted with playoff positions a few times over the last two seasons.

I personally think that premiershite was never an option with the team we have....Orlandi, bridge, Hammond crofts areall players who have been offloaded from premiership clubs as they are not really up to it. Add to that, foreign imports who need to get used to this division and the English game that other teams are actually better at playing than we are playing the Spanish way.

I know there are people who are impatient for success and the experience of hull and Swansea etc have given people false hope that suddenly we are a premiership club...a decent ground does not make you a premiership club...the team does! Gus's idea is that the only way we can improve is to make the players technically better than when they get here and for most cases, that is right, however players who have slotted in to other teams and against us looked great players, like dobbie for example have not suited Gus's game and off they have gone.

This team are capable of consolidating a position around mid table and I am happy with that...it's certainly a damn side better than bumping along in the third and fourth division which in the 39 years I have been watching albion, the majority of which have been spent in these divisions.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If we finish higher than 10th, then that is real progress
I am happy with that, another year to improve....better than getting hammered in the Premier....Reading looked good last year, but they have clearly struggled

Lets be realistic

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
If Gus leaves at the end of the season I can see a senario where we finish in the bottom half next season and everyone on here will be saying he should've stayed.
So I say give him a chance.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I think a lot of supporters accept that mid table is about right and we have flirted with playoff positions a few times over the last two seasons.

I personally think that premiershite was never an option with the team we have....Orlandi, bridge, Hammond crofts areall players who have been offloaded from premiership clubs as they are not really up to it. Add to that, foreign imports who need to get used to this division and the English game that other teams are actually better at playing than we are playing the Spanish way.

I know there are people who are impatient for success and the experience of hull and Swansea etc have given people false hope that suddenly we are a premiership club...a decent ground does not make you a premiership club...the team does! Gus's idea is that the only way we can improve is to make the players technically better than when they get here and for most cases, that is right, however players who have slotted in to other teams and against us looked great players, like dobbie for example have not suited Gus's game and off they have gone.

This team are capable of consolidating a position around mid table and I am happy with that...it's certainly a damn side better than bumping along in the third and fourth division which in the 39 years I have been watching albion, the majority of which have been spent in these divisions.

Damn you for talking such sense. You should be ashamed on a night like tonight!

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Looks like a repeat of last season. We're up there with a shout, then fall away badly ... and this time with a much stronger squad. Not good enough.

Gus appears to not have what it takes to get us to the playoffs, let alone promotion. Sure he got us Ulloa, but has been dire in his ability to attract any other decent strikers. Vicente was on paper a wonderful signing, but what has he really done for us? Bruno started off like a firecracker, but what happened?

Don't be so reactionary, here's some more facts - we've had three away games in arctic conditions against 2 bottom clubs fighting for survival and one team pushing for the playoffs, and have lost 3 forwards for various reasons and we have been unlucky not to get more out of 2 of those 3 games. We have also been unlucky not to take maximum points from many games earlier in the season. I don't want to support a club which changes the manager every season, we're playing the best football we have ever played, we just need a 20 goal a year striker. Support the manager, he's still learning as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Well said. Swansea took 4 years to get promoted and have done well since.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He will be off anyway, if we don't go up. I know I said that last season and I believed it at the time. But his stock did drop a bit in the last few months of the season. He won't risk another year of championship failure next season, if he can go while the myth is still in tact in the summer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Care to copy and paste that on the Adkins/McDermott thread the Poyet bashers are having a love in over there

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Well said Dave. Some of the comments on these threads tonight are completely ridiculous - your post puts a more realistic gloss on things.

I,like the vast majority of Albion fans, would be happy with 7th. We'd have improved every season since Poyet's been here and 7th will set us nicely for an assault on the play-offs next year.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Hard to argue with any of that, other than to question how good this squad are for the physical challenge presented by this league. Too many lightweights without a pair of bollocks between them.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't understand as we are clearly better than last season.

But we aren't. We got a better defence and a better keeper, but that doesn't make us a better team. As football is about winning games and scoring goals. The league doesn't lie after 36 games. I believe without looking, we are probably a worse team, position wise than this time last season. The next ten games, will tell us if we are better or not, after signing a shed load of top players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
PL probably is too soon, but some fight and making it to the playoffs would be progress, and a great finale to the second season.

Players and Gus doing their worst to hand it to other clubs who have been deciduous average to poor most this season,

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
If we finish higher than 10th, then that is real progress
I am happy with that, another year to improve....better than getting hammered in the Premier....Reading looked good last year, but they have clearly struggled

Lets be realistic

If its another year with the same players then we won't get to the Prem it's as simple as that. We need better quality players and the way things are going with our player budget that is not going to be possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here