Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inter-railing around Europe

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Me and my friends are planning on doing this after our A-levels this summer for about 10 days.

Plan is to visit Italy, Germany, Amsterdam, Switzerland and France (not in that order).

Has anyone done anything similar to this and know how to spend minimal amounts of money without camping?

Hostels and B&B's seem the best options but are there any mistakes you made so that we don't or advice you can give.

Thanks

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I did it in 1996. One of the places we stayed was here - it's still going it seems. Get the Thomas Cook rail timetable and plan to sleep as much on trains as possible, even making journeys to places you have no intention staying in, just to get free 'accomodation' on the train.

THE TENT

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
forget it, will all cost you a fortune - get to the far east or latin america and have treble the fun for half the price.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Don't discount taking flights at some points, for example I flew from Budapest to Krakow for about 12 quid last year with Ryanair. Buying a monthly interrail ticket isn't the only cost associated with travelling, you'll also have to pay for seat reservations and if it's a sleeper train, a cabin.

Hostels, Hotels & Youth Hostels at HostelBookers are a safe bet IMO for booking accomodation, you only pay a deposit and the rest when you arrive so if you have a change of heart and want to go somewhere else, you'll only lose a few quid on the booking.

What hydrid_x said is true to some extent, but you'll have to deal with massive journeys due to crap roads and in Latin America, endless mountains/jungle so your first travelling experience should be limited to Europe I'd say.

Also, you've probably chosen the most expensive countries in mainland Europe, consider going East to Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic etc for a far cheaper time. There's nothing wrong with the chosen countries, but given you're only just finishing your A-Levels, it will be rather expensive!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
forget it, will all cost you a fortune - get to the far east or latin america and have treble the fun for half the price.

...or spend the same amount of money and turn that 10 days into 3 months. No brainer.

And if you're 18 my advice would be South East Asia.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Me and my friends did it a few years back for 18 days on a budget of £1500, which includes plane tickets, train travel, accommodation and all spending money. We went to 8/9 different places, starting with Lisbon, and ending in Amsterdam. We never planned to sleep on trains (personally I would hate that, our last train journey took 18 hours since we missed a train, and I couldn't get to sleep at all). Book your first hostel and last hostel in advance, and everything else as you go (hostelworld.com), as you don't know what may happen. Your train ticket will make travel really cheap, but take into account you will still have to pay a small fee on most journeys you make as you go.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I did this in 1973 and it was one of the best and most memorable trips of my life! We camped in France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany and even changed routes and destinations as the fancy took us. You have the internet, so surf for cheap hotels in the areas you are interested in. France has the very cheap Campanile hotels, but they are usually out of town and not easy to get to from the railway station. Try surfing for youth hostels, pensions. One problem is, that the cheaper the hotel or hostel, the higher the likelihood it's in a more undesirable (nay, dangerous) area, depending on the city. Some campsites on the Continent have permanent tents, so you wouldn't have to cart all your camping equipment about, if you went for that option. On the Mediterranean, some campsites are practically in the sea!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

THIS.

Inter-railing around Europe is great but what you save on the airfare you will lose on the price of a lager. You can do a night out in Cambodia for the price of a pint in Amsterdam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here