Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Considering not renewing season ticket

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I live in london and the cost of going to games is pretty high on top of the social element of beers etc.It's easily £100 a match. Myself and my 4 mates are thinking of not renewing for next year as it all seems too costly these days to go to see your team. My friends and I are big fans so there is no 'JCL' vibes here. Couldn't wait for the AMEX to get built but in a recession it is proving too difficult to maintain going.

Just wondering, is anyone else having the same feelings on this matter? And if so, are the club over estimating their customers/fans uptake for next season?

This is also a stark reality that football has become a monster and needs to be tamed...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that it must be costly if you're based in London but I'm in Sussex so will be renewing without hesitation.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If it's the spending a £100 a match that's the problem then cut back, stop drinking 10 beers on the day, or eating 10 pies or whatever your doing to spend £100 each match day because that's crazy.

Train must cost you, what £15 return max, ticket price about £20 with a season ticket so about £40 to see the game, where's the extra £60 going?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
So £60 train and ticket? £40 on beer and pies?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Blimey, how much are you paying for beer! I thought you could get off peak returns from London (to HH) for about £15. A match works out at about £25 or something .. leaving you £60 or so.

I do my budgets but the £ I spend on beer doesn't go towards my B&HA costs as I reckon if I didn't have " a couple" at football I'd spend that elsewhere anyway

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
are you travelling first class? i live in London and with a network card it costs me £13. If you book it the day before you an get even cheaper deals.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The return from London on a weekend game, with having a network railcard for about £25 annually between you, is £6.60. If we average out the season ticket price as £19 per game then it means about £75 on vices and snacks. I'd find a better dealer if i were you.

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I do have a railcard but there is no point just going for the game, it has to role into seeing the family etc to make it worthwhile coming down in the first place. That's the dilemma really. Football is part of the problem as it's getting more expensive.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I do have a railcard but there is no point just going for the game, it has to role into seeing the family etc to make it worthwhile coming down in the first place. That's the dilemma really. Football is part of the problem as it's getting more expensive.

Ok now I'm certain this is a wind up. A) The train ticket is only £20 if you go up and back the same day. B) It takes just over 90 mins to get from London to the Stadium C) You have to go and see family around every single game to justify attending a football match that takes (B) to get to? :lol: Nice attempt at fishing and if you're not then a season ticket really was never for you and best you don't renew.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

:lolol: wow you sure it not Glasgow you live, don't go to any away games I guess then

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

So that's a different dilemma to what you originally posed. From your perspective, going to the football and spending time with the family etc are intrinsically linked, which is perfectly fair. However, for those of us who travel down from London just for the football it seems that the journey and the match tickets can still be achieved without paying a fortune.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just logged into National Rail enquiries and used Sunday to find prices and Victoria to Haywards Heath cheapest return is £17.50 but standard is £20 without any rail cards etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here