Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHL Update

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Now we are round about half way through the revised NHL season (48 games to be played) I thought you might like to see how your team is doing.

First the Eastern Conference with Division, Played, Won, Lost, Overtime Loss (still get a point) and points. The slightly odd positioning (Carolina 3rd with 29 points is due to the fact that the division winners automatically get places 1,2 and three in the conference. The top 8 going into the end of season playoffs.

You can see that the NE division is very dominant with 4 out of the top 6 placings.

1 * - Montréal NE 26 17 5 4 38
2 * - Pittsburgh ATL 26 18 8 0 36
3 * - Carolina SE 24 14 9 1 29
4 Boston NE 23 17 3 3 37
5 Toronto NE 26 15 10 1 31
6 Ottawa NE 26 13 8 5 31
7 New Jersey ATL 26 12 9 5 29
8 NY Rangers ATL 24 13 9 2 28

9 Winnipeg SE 25 12 11 2 26
10 NY Islanders ATL 26 11 12 3 25
11 Philadelphia ATL 27 12 14 1 25
12 Washington SE 24 10 13 1 21
13 Tampa Bay SE 25 10 14 1 21
14 Buffalo NE 26 9 14 3 21
15 Florida SE 26 7 13 6 20

and now the Western Conference with Chicago ripping it up, they only lost their first game last week and then lost again on Sunday.

1 * - Chicago CEN 26 21 2 3 45
2 * - Anaheim PAC 24 18 3 3 39
3 * - Minnesota NW 24 13 9 2 28
4 Los Angeles PAC 24 14 8 2 30
5 Detroit CEN 26 12 9 5 29
6 Vancouver NW 24 11 7 6 28
7 San Jose PAC 24 11 7 6 28
8 St. Louis CEN 25 13 10 2 28

9 Phoenix PAC 25 12 10 3 27
10 Dallas PAC 24 12 10 2 26
11 Nashville CEN 25 10 9 6 26
12 Colorado NW 24 10 10 4 24
13 Columbus CEN 26 10 12 4 24
14 Edmonton NW 25 9 11 5 23
15 Calgary NW 24 9 11 4 22

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hoping for a 2nd half surge from the Leafs. Had a very up and down season so far - although doing better than I had expected. Got some good solid players in their ranks so will be there or thereabouts I reckon.
Anaheim are looking good and I think Chicago (while still looking very strong) will fall away a bit after their incredible start to the season. We're going to be in the States for the playoffs so also hoping the Bolts pick themselves up and get to the postseason - quite fancy a trip down to Tampa to see them again.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I doubt the Hurricanes will last the length... but still Staal et al might just motivate our depth players to play beyond the sum of the players on line 3. We have to retain top of our division though. 29 points on the board, yet everyone around us has 35+ so it's going to be a real fight to make the play offs.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Hoping for a 2nd half surge from the Leafs. Had a very up and down season so far - although doing better than I had expected. Got some good solid players in their ranks so will be there or thereabouts I reckon.
Anaheim are looking good and I think Chicago (while still looking very strong) will fall away a bit after their incredible start to the season. We're going to be in the States for the playoffs so also hoping the Bolts pick themselves up and get to the postseason - quite fancy a trip down to Tampa to see them again.

What do you mean by the leafs having an up and down season? Taking recent history. They are having a storming season. They have only lost back to back games in regulation twice this season.

Bozak has been immense in the face off circle. Kadri is starting show true class as a centre. Komorov is a great cheep import. JVR is everything I hoped/expected him to be. Kostka is having a great rookie season.

There will be no 2nd half surge. But steady points accumulation will leave us half way up the eastern conference playoffs. Which will be nothing short of fantastic. RC in is short term as coach has been as brilliant as poyet was for Brighton. He has the team playing modern hockey and doing very well.

Kessel hasn't even been scoring many and the team is doing well. Would like to see it if he gets hot.

No Stanley cup for us this season. But 2-3 years down the line. We could be serious contenders.

Take it you don't watch the games and are just chatting bull?

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I doubt the Hurricanes will last the length... but still Staal et al might just motivate our depth players to play beyond the sum of the players on line 3. We have to retain top of our division though. 29 points on the board, yet everyone around us has 35+ so it's going to be a real fight to make the play offs.

Still resent the top of the division team automatically getting top three spots in the conference. Just because your in a shit division you get a bonus spot. I don't get it an never will. How you can get more points and finnish further down the standings is beyond me.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I dont get to see as much as I'd like these days I'll admit, but I do watch as many highlights as possible, regularly scour nhl.com, and have the gamecenter app for constant updates...so not just "chatting bull" as you put it so kindly.
I did say I thought they were doing better than I expected, so yes, Im very happy with the way things are going this season - but they couldnt buy a win at home earlier in the season for a while - and although Kadri / Van Riemsdyk etc are starting to look impressive I still think there is work to do...thats all.
The future is definately looking bright in Toronto though, and its about bloody time! :)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Rangers currently languishing in the middle of the Atlantic division of the Eastern Conference. A 4-1 win against the Capitals on Sunday, they no longer resemble the scrappy team they used to be under Tortorella. They have really struggled on their 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] lines this season. Disappointing after reaching the conference finals last year

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
my mate is a big oilers fan and explained the whole game and layout to me.....

....it seems the NHL with wage caps, no transfer crazyness, the college pickings, etc...have an amazing set up.

not sure about playing every 3 days tho...........but love the "allowed fights" - and "fighting" being part of the strategy........alas, when i watched a game on tv i couldnt see where the puck was at all.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Rangers currently languishing in the middle of the Atlantic division of the Eastern Conference. A 4-1 win against the Capitals on Sunday, they no longer resemble the scrappy team they used to be under Tortorella. They have really struggled on their 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] lines this season. Disappointing after reaching the conference finals last year

Don't get the rangers at all. Had them down to be one of the toughest teams to play this year. Very disappointing (not for me obviously), but really expected a much better showing given their strength in depth. Could see a resurgence in the 2nd half of the season. Doubt they will miss the playoffs. As we all know its a different ball game in the post season.

shaunslats

Mar 6, 2013
Magrathea
its all about Montreal, consistent season and the goals being shared throughout the team and then there's Carey Price in goal that is the slightly calmer resurrection of Patrick Roy

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
my mate is a big oilers fan and explained the whole game and layout to me.....

....it seems the NHL with wage caps, no transfer crazyness, the college pickings, etc...have an amazing set up.

not sure about playing every 3 days tho...........but love the "allowed fights" - and "fighting" being part of the strategy........alas, when i watched a game on tv i couldnt see where the puck was at all.

Swings and roundabouts for my money. You get talented guys like tavarez (think that's how you spell it) lost in a shite team like the islanders. With no hope of of a trade away and no hope of playoffs. A very talented player not likely to achieve his potential for many years if ever.

It's the equivalent of a young Wayne Rooney being drafted by Wigan and stuck their for 5-10 years. Or RVP being drafted by stoke.

Yes every team gets a chance to get a star. But I doubt it's great for that player. Can just imagine what Vicente would make of that with his mental problems.

Then there is problem of politics with renewing wage caps and lockouts. Which does the sport little good.

Obviously there is the major upside of a competitive league with revolving winners. No one team "buying" the title. Much fairer spread of talent. It's just not all roses.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here