Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would traffic wardens be that stupid/annoying?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Live in Kemptown but had to leave my car down the bottom at Madeira drive, it's officially ok there until 10am, will I need to move it? Not convinced I'll be able to...nor that wardens will be out...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Live in Kemptown but had to leave my car down the bottom at Madeira drive, it's officially ok there until 10am, will I need to move it? Not convinced I'll be able to...nor that wardens will be out...

They'll be out :) Never miss an opportunity!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

I'm really hoping not. Had to leave my car on Kingsway just passed Grand Avenue. Facing the wrong way on the pavement. My car (Smart Roadster) simply will not drive in snow.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Surely there are no lines on the road that are visible? Can't imagine they would be that harsh to ticket?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If I literally cannot move the car, what do the wardens expect me to do exactly?

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
If I literally cannot move the car, what do the wardens expect me to do exactly?

Make it disappear. Failing that, they will issue you a ticket. Bar stewards? Yes. Yes they are. But if they did I think you would have a pretty good case to appeal.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
iam in the same boat as you Mello have had to abandon car on corner of madiera drive and Margeret st on double yellows . will be well pissed if they ticket me as i simply cannot go anywhere

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have often had to leave my car on Ditchling Road, double yellows, but lots of people do (council van there today). However the traffic is moving up and down now so you have to keep as eye on it. i.e its okay when lots of cars, not good when your the only one left.

Vague Amnesty

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
One of the reasons that I kept going last night was because I was sure that I'd be ticketed if I left my car and walked. I hope beardy gull is right, but wouldn't bet on it.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
One of the reasons that I kept going last night was because I was sure that I'd be ticketed if I left my car and walked. I hope beardy gull is right, but wouldn't bet on it.

I hope I'm right too! Nothing official from the council as yet. Really wanted to make it home but after spinning off the road I guessed leaving it would be the safer option for me and other road users in more sensible cars.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I walked the dog around the level this morning at 7, and the traffic was moving freely but cars had been left blocking the inside lanes. I imagine cars on main roads would be cleared first if people don't go and move them.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I have often had to leave my car on Ditchling Road, double yellows, but lots of people do (council van there today). However the traffic is moving up and down now so you have to keep as eye on it. i.e its okay when lots of cars, not good when your the only one left.

Vague Amnesty
Yeah, my wife's left her car on yellow lines on Ditchling Road as she's often done in the snow. Never had a ticket yet. As you say it's ok when there are lots of cars, but once the snow clears they expect you to move it and I have seen individual ones from more lazy motorists ticketed. Fair enough if my book; incredibly an element of common sense seems to be applied whilst at the same time they won't let you take the piss. All too rare in this day and age.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Maybe they'll come and book the 2 remaining abandoned number 81 buses still in Freshfield Road :lolol: There was 4 last night, but the 2 that were facing downhill have disappeared.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Update from Brighton and Hove City Council:

"If you have had to leave your car it's unlikely you'll get a penalty as the road markings are unclear.

The appeal procedure does take into considering mitigating circumstances."

Why can't they just be clear and say you won't get a ticket? :flameboun:annoyed:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Update from Brighton and Hove City Council:

"If you have had to leave your car it's unlikely you'll get a penalty as the road markings are unclear.

The appeal procedure does take into considering mitigating circumstances."

Why can't they just be clear and say you won't get a ticket? :flameboun:annoyed:

Thanks for the info - as you say, a bit frustrating that they can't use common sense just for today.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

pay the fine?

seriously. I would expect them to be having a field day. Sensible folk will appeal the ticket after taking photos of lines and signs obscured by snow but some will just pay up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here