Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 Tonight

Anyone on it, have a mate stuck near Pyecombe going south, hasn't moved for 50 minutes and no heater in car. He's wondering if he should abandon the car and walk to the garage and as I'm a retard computer wise can't find any info.

Cheers.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Just come past there going north. Three or four cars seem to have got stuck opposite Tates nd the rest you know about. It took me 45 minutes to get down Preston Drove and another 30 from there to the A27 flyover. The problem at Pyecombe may not have been helped by people thinking they are being incredibly sensible by driving at a steady 14mph, interspersed with occasional random braking. That and no obvious sign of gritters.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On Twitter

BBC Sussex ‏@BBCSussex
#sussexsnow If you are stuck on A24, A23 or A259 please call if safe to do so 03459 570057 From police : STAY WITH YOUR CAR IF STUCK

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Always the same problem that a few idiots who can't drive stack it and then everyone behind gets stuck.
Also heater or not going out when snow is forecast without very warm clothes, a sleeping bag or blanket, water and snacks is a bit stupid. Hypothermia will help the lesson sink in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That and no obvious sign of gritters.

Gritters, for your information, are designed to try and prevent ice from forming on the road. They do not prevent, and have almost no impact against snow settling. The "grit" is a mixture of salt and brine solution, which requires vehicles to drive over it and crunch it into the road surface to have an effect. This does not stop snow settling, the only way that can be prevented is by a continuous stream of traffic driving.

During slow times- ie early afternoon- when traffic is light, snow settles easily on the roads, though there's not enough for it to be ploughed. That can't really be helped, it's just what nature does. Then later on, traffic builds up, by which time the snow is already laying. Traffic slows, due to conditions, which builds tailbacks. Some cars then fail to anticipate the poor conditions and crash, causing more tailbacks. By this point, all the traffic is at a standstill, and neither snowploughs nor (irrelevant in snow terms) gritters can get through anyway.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
A friend of mine left work 5pm at the Amex building ( not the stadium ) to drive to Saltdean on the coast road he's still not home, at the moment he's at roedean 4 hours later this is on the coast road

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I didn't even make it as far as the A23. I gave up in Cuckfield and am now in a local pub. No chance of getting home, no room at any local inns. I'm sleeping in my car tonight. Or dying in my car tonight. Brilliant

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Gritters, for your information, are designed to try and prevent ice from forming on the road. They do not prevent, and have almost no impact against snow settling. The "grit" is a mixture of salt and brine solution, which requires vehicles to drive over it and crunch it into the road surface to have an effect. This does not stop snow settling, the only way that can be prevented is by a continuous stream of traffic driving.

During slow times- ie early afternoon- when traffic is light, snow settles easily on the roads, though there's not enough for it to be ploughed. That can't really be helped, it's just what nature does. Then later on, traffic builds up, by which time the snow is already laying. Traffic slows, due to conditions, which builds tailbacks. Some cars then fail to anticipate the poor conditions and crash, causing more tailbacks. By this point, all the traffic is at a standstill, and neither snowploughs nor (irrelevant in snow terms) gritters can get through anyway.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

It's interesting that this 'light' snow seems to have caused more problems over here in West Sussex despite being far lighter than the dump we had on that Friday a month or so ago

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I didn't even make it as far as the A23. I gave up in Cuckfield and am now in a local pub. No chance of getting home, no room at any local inns. I'm sleeping in my car tonight. Or dying in my car tonight. Brilliant

Should ask if you can sleep on pub floor....sounds awful ..hope it's better in the morning for you

No b&b's?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here