Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does a portable scaffold tower erection on a pavement need a license and insurance?

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
The house is terraced but with no front garden, and cast iron gutter needs replacing. I'm told that a portable scaffold tower (on the pavement) requires not only a license from the LA but public indemnity insurance too. Is this only for traders, or does it apply to D.I.Y.ers too? How can this be when working off a ladder requires neither, yet is far less safe ?

Last edited:

Telscombe Seagull

Aug 15, 2003
Burgess Hill
MIght be way off but logic to me would probably say that as its going on the pavement/road then the council will insist on insurance? (making that assumption from the no garden bit) unless you can get it up & down pronto without getting caught :whistle:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just a guess, but if it's anywhere near the road or pavement I'm sure they'd insist on insurance at least. However careful you are what happens if someone passing by got hurt because of it - they'll want to sue someone, no doubt. Having said that, if it's only a couple of hours, I doubt anyone could do anything

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Councils can, and do, prosecute regularly for breaching regulations so it would be risky not to comply.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
My understanding is if your working on your own home a license is not required, but I could be wrong as the regulations change so often.
However some form of public liability should be in place in case your drop something onto a passing pedestrian or vehicle.
Also a good idea to tape off the area around the tower so no one gets too close

Aug 15, 2003
Falkirk, Scotland
You should have Public Liability or Property Owners Liability insurance with your Household insurance so contact them first to see if they will endorse your policy for a short period of time to cover this. If you have any problems with them contact me as I am an Insurance Broker and I should get you sorted.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
But why would a ladder not require a license when it would take up the whole width of the pavement? (a portable tower would take up barely half that)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here