Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who does the cooking in your household?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was listening to the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning, and they were talking about family mealtime and - for those that have one - dining room etiquette ("I mean, I've now banned texting and facebooking from the dining room table...").

The woman in the debate - didn't catch who it was - said 'women typically do the cooking...'.

Is that the case? Who does it in your household? One person, generally, or is it split duties? Or shared duties?

I do 90% of the cooking for me and the wife.

She works later than me, earns more, does my ironing and washing so it seems fair. And I'd probably do it anyway as I enjoy it.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
I was listening to the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning, and they were talking about family mealtime and - for those that have one - dining room etiquette ("I mean, I've now banned texting and facebooking from the dining room table...").

The woman in the debate - didn't catch who it was - said 'women typically do the cooking...'.

Is that the case? Who does it in your household? One person, generally, or is it split duties? Or shared duties?

Texting at the dinner table:facepalm: HOW VERY SAD IT WAS EVER DONE ROUND THE DINNER TABLE:(

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pretty much 50/50 in our house. Would do more if I could

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I would do more but the wife, being an ex chef, is always hovering over me and poking her nose in.

So I restrict myself to clearing, washing up and "surface hygiene".

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The dining table is rarely used now. We have a kitchen island and four stools, which makes it easy to serve and clean up. The dining table is for when we have guests and need to seat more than four.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Girlfriend cooks, I wash up. I'll cook on special occasions or if she is busy and I'm not.

I can be a good cook when I put the effort in, but I rarely have that motivation - when it's a special meal I'll go all out and do two or three courses from scratch but otherwise it does nothing for me

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do the cooking.

All meals eaten at the table, with the occasional exception of Sunday tea.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We take it turns, unless one is back much later than the other I think it’s the fairest way.

Can’t believe my Mum used to not only cook all the meals but also cook twice, once for the kids and then again for herself and my Dad.

The guy I share an office with has never cooked his wife dinner, ever.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Usually my wife,but I do have my 'areas of expertise' where I am in charge and do the cooking: roasts,including Christmas dinner,all fish dishes,steaks and such like.
Of course,barbeques are my domain as well!!:)
Washing up,loading dishwasher and clearing up is shared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here