Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes facing big ban [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Barnes facing big ban[/h]9:00am Monday 11th March 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2362781.jpg
Ashley Barnes is ushered from the pitch by Bruno
ASHLEY Barnes faces a long ban from the FA and internal disciplinary action by Albion after seeing red for trying to trip referee Nigel Miller and plunging the Seagulls into an even deeper striker crisis.
The authorities are expected to come down hard on Barnes if video evidence supports Miller's reason for dismissing him in the dying moments of the 1-0 defeat at Bolton.
The incident was shrouded in mystery until Miller, refusing to speak to the Argus directly, revealed via a Bolton official that Barnes was sent-off for “misconduct, for trying to trip the referee.”
Albion boss Gus Poyet did not shed any light on the matter in his post-match interviews but has branded Barnes’ behaviour unacceptable after he was also sent-off on his previous start at Sheffield Wednesday last month for a retaliatory tackle.
The forward is now expected to serve at least a four-match suspension, three for the offence plus one extra for his second red card.
The unprecedented and serious nature of the circumstances also increases the risk of the FA taking further action against Barnes.
Albion, meanwhile, have been left with Leo Ulloa as their only recognised striker. They were already searching for a loan replacement for top scorer Craig Mackail-Smith, who has surgery today on the Achilles he ruptured at Bristol City last week, while Will Hoskins (knee) is also out for the season.
Poyet said: "I didn’t expect that from Ash. More than the result I think that was the worst part of the game.
"He already had a problem. We thought it was over after Sheffield Wednesday, so we need to go a bit deeper into his character and we’ll sort it out internally. "What happened before I accepted, because me, Tano and Charlie have all reacted like that before. Once in a while you can accept but these are too close to each other and not acceptable."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here