Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Benaud versus Peter O'Sullivan

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I believe both deserve the gold. But there can be only one winner.

The voice of horse racing. Desert Orchid at Cheltenham and the 1977 Grand National. Just beautiful commentary.

The voice of cricket. Humour mixed with experience and totally impartiality.

And my winner. Richie.

My reasoning.

His response to Trevor Chappell's underarm and his farewell to us Brits as Pietersen walked off the Oval after destroying the Aussies. Plus his misjudgment of a straight six.

All commentators should be impartial, so if you look up any of the aforementioned classic moments (available on You Tube), if Peter hadn't said Red Rummy at the second last, it would have been a tie.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Peter O'Sullivan for me

no one said "The National" like him

Benaud was class mind

no one said "that's interesting?" like him

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
My word thats got to be closw.

You can judge for yourself there.

In and out of the confectionery box

Richie for me, but O'sullivan is a legend

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Both legends. The best of all time.
I love Benaud but O'Sullevan shades it for me...
1) Sea Pigeon finally winning the Champion Hurdle...." the old mans coming to win it " etc
2) Dawn Run ( the day 60,000 cried at Cheltenham )..." Dawn Run is rallying, she's fighting back.." etc
3) Red Rum..1977..3rd triumph..." and its hats off at Aintree " etc
and not forgetting the way he held himself together when his own horse Attivo won at Cheltenham.
A consummate professional, in the sport that requires more research than any other. The ability to spot different colours in a large field and call it right every time.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Richie Benaud for me.

This is possibly influenced by the fact I love cricket and can't stand horse racing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
1) Sea Pigeon finally winning the Champion Hurdle...." the old mans coming to win it " etc
2) Dawn Run ( the day 60,000 cried at Cheltenham )..." Dawn Run is rallying, she's fighting back.." etc
and not forgetting the way he held himself together when his own horse Attivo won at Cheltenham.
A consummate professional, in the sport that requires more research than any other. The ability to spot different colours in a large field and call it right every time.

I actually prefer the Des Scahill Dawn Run call.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not particularly arsed about cricket at all, but could listen to Benaud talk about the finer details of leg-spin for hours.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Maybe we can have a favourite Peter O'Sullivan poll between the commentator and the footballer...

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Both excellent - O'Sullevan's key strength for me was his ability to convey drama and excitement without a) resorting to shouting b) sacrificing accuracy (J McGrath et al take note).

Benaud an absolute master but it's hard to put your finger on exactly why, delivery and timing I guess. Sadly I find his writing much less worthwhile "My Spin on Cricket" one of the dullest books I've attempted to read, don't think I ever finished it which is unheard of.

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
This thread has gone way, WAY, over the heads of our younger readers.......

Showing yer age there, mate...... :wink:

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire

Blimey I remember that. 20/1 I think? I had it in two 25p singles and a 50p double with a 9/2 shot (name evades me!) Won more than my weekly pay and got a tiny bit drunk on snakebites in the Whitehawk! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here