Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champagne anyone????

lucky007

Apr 12, 2010
West Sussex
Evenin all!!!!

Does anyone know anything about Champagne, good years, brands etc??

Ive been give a gift set of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque 1990 with 4 hand painted glasses and my mate thinks its worth a bit.

Quick search on google shows an empty bottle for sale for £200.

Any ideas where I might get more info????

Ta

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
As it happens valuing wines is a considerable part of my day to day job...

To be honest though, £200 is about right for a full bottle. The trouble is you might not find it easy to sell as it won't have great provenance of where it has been stored etc...

Would recommend either drinking it (for what its worth i would guess it would be really tasty and a good time to drink it, a very good vintage) or maybe trying something like bidforwine.co.uk which is sort of like an eBay for wine, would imagine £150 would be a reasonable thing to aim for for the bottle, I have no idea what the glasses are so if they have any value.

Send me a pm if you want any more info but otherwise hope that's helpful.

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
I should add when I say around £200, that's around what a shop might sell it for, you might struggle to get it yourself

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
PriceMinister shopping recommendations on Vinopedia

I'm no connoisseur but Perrier Jouet is a really nice champagne. I'd be tempted to drink it although I've got a similar quandary with a 1l bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

I would definately not drink it, IMHO champagne does not age well and you would need to be 100% certain that it has been stored properly. I have yet to try any champagne over 10 years old that wasnt dissapointing.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ask ed from grape and grain the Broadway Haywards Heath great independent off Licence still struggling against the big boys. Oh Monday shop closed?

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
I would definately not drink it, IMHO champagne does not age well and you would need to be 100% certain that it has been stored properly. I have yet to try any champagne over 10 years old that wasnt dissapointing.

I tried a 1928 Perrier Jouet last week as it happens and it was very interesting (though nothing like champagne). 10 years is really young for a top level Champagne, 2002 Dom Perignon is probably another ten years away from being ready to drink in my opinion. I've also had 1990 Pol Roger recently and it was lovely.

True that storage is very important though, that's why it's difficult to get full value for it if you can't prove where it's been.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"I only drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not in a hurry and drink it when I am, otherwise I never touch the stuff unless I am thirsty."

Mme Bollinger

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here