Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Part Ex on a car and V5

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Afternoon all

I am part exchanging a car this week against a new car, The V5 is very clear and states that the form must be completed and the trader stamps and returns part 9.

My trader has asked me NOT to fill it out...I am sure legally I have to do it as the notes say if not you may face a fine, or prosecution.

I guess if its not filled out one of the showroom grease monkeys could rack up some speeding fines and technically they would come to me as the car would be in my name ( if I did not fill in the V5)

The car will only go to auction so do they have any right to ask me NOT to process the form?

ALSO the Tax disc.....is it mine? ie can I cash in the remaining value (10 months) or must it stay with the car? there is nothing on any paper work for the PX that says includes Tax Disc

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Tax disc is yours and you should keep it and cash in the remaining months. The V5 should be properly completed and stamped if selling to a trader, any suggestions otherwise might land you in the cack if it is sold on or used once you hand it over as you might start getting tickets etc Ask them why they want to do this and tell them it isn't optional they have to complete that by law.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
A lot of traders don't fill out the v5s it saves the car having another registered keeper. The more previous on a car the less I'm interested in buying it, if a car has lots of owners then I have to ask myself why? And service histories get lost or left behind so you have no idea on how it's been maintained.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've seen people prosecuted for failing to notify the DVLA of a change of keeper.
If the trader has a reason for not wanting you to fill it out then I'd suggest he's got a hidden agenda and wonder what else he's hiding about the car your buying...

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
I've seen people prosecuted for failing to notify the DVLA of a change of keeper.
If the trader has a reason for not wanting you to fill it out then I'd suggest he's got a hidden agenda and wonder what else he's hiding about the car your buying...

I agree with this .Once a week there is a page in the Daily Echo that lists people that have been prosecuted for failing to notify the Dvla of a change of ownership of a vehicle (among othe cases). Also I'd also keep the tax disc for the car you are p/x unless the salesmen Is chucking I tax with the new car.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As stated above there is a yellow section on the V5C (no v5's now) for transfer to a dealer/trader.
You can't fill in the new owner details as its not yet known. As long as you complete the yellow section you be fine.
By the fact your taking delivery of a new car from a dealer it can be proved you relinquished ownership of it the same day.
All the scare stories of people of not notifying DVLA are for cars sold privately.
If a private buyer asked me not to fill in the details i would be seriously concerned, but a dealer no problem.
And defo cash the tax in, if you don't they will!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Its against a brand new car so no problems there, Im just thinking they cant send the old car to auction without a 'complete' V5

anyway not my problem, I will comply with the law and fill in the section reqd for transfer to a dealer.

Thanks chaps

The tax disc will stay firmly in my pocket....

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Im just thinking they cant send the old car to auction without a 'complete' V5

You can, you don't actually need the V5c to sell a car, a receipt is fine, You can then apply for a V5c once you have the car, cost £25 from memory.
The log book is just DVLA's record of who the registered keeper is, not necessarily the owner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here