Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oriental Village - WTF ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Took the family to Oriental Village in Portslade last night. We've been going there for years and although the food is fairly straightforward, the service has always been excellent, and i've recommended the service to numerous people over the years.

Not last night ! 3 hrs to serve 6 of us 3 courses. For the first time ever, i refused not only the service charge, but the whole bill i was presented with. In the end i agreed to pay something like 2/3rds of it, but think even that was generous (and i couldn't really refuse to pay for the drinks). Has anyone else been there lately and had the same ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ernest:
MONEY is TIGHT right now since I was SACKED from my stewards job by BARBER, so LAST night was my fisrt SHIFT as a waiter at Oriental Village in PORTSALAD. Just when I thought things could not get any WURST..."

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Oh great !!!
Got two groupons to use there by may.
Always been good service in the past though but new ownership explains the post

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh great !!!
Got two groupons to use there by may.
Always been good service in the past though but new ownership explains the post

I suspect the Groupon deals are EXACTLY the issue ! I'm going Wednesday evening so will see if it's better mid-week.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Last time I went there a few years back they served a dish using processed chicken. Never again. It's shit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Which brings me to the next question, i have to book a table for 35(ish) for a family meal in a couple of months and we've used Oriental Village in the past as a lot of the family live in Portslade. Someone told me there is a new place in Portland Road, Dannys that does similar - anyone tried it ?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Only went once, a few years ago and didnt rate it that highly, if you live the other side of town the Thai elephant II in Peacehaven is better.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Which brings me to the next question, i have to book a table for 35(ish) for a family meal in a couple of months and we've used Oriental Village in the past as a lot of the family live in Portslade. Someone told me there is a new place in Portland Road, Dannys that does similar - anyone tried it ?

I've not been to Danny's but Ortellos in Church Road are very good at serving big groups.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I suspect the Groupon deals are EXACTLY the issue ! I'm going Wednesday evening so will see if it's better mid-week.

I would give it a wide berth (you couldn't go to Dannys instead and check that out for me ?)

*edit* take a look at tripadvisor for the two of them - i wish i had !

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I would give it a wide berth (you couldn't go to Dannys instead and check that out for me ?)

*edit* take a look at tripadvisor for the two of them - i wish i had !

Unfortunately it wasn't me that booked it ( using Groupon ) but I'll certainly not be paying the service charge if it's how you've described. It will be disappointing as I've been there many times before.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
My mum and stepdad went there last night. Felt exactly the same as you, I think they just walked out after not even receiving their main course after an hour. They said it was a shame about it as the people were trying their best, just too many people using the groupon offer.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The problem last night at many restaurants was the large number of families having their Mother's Day celebrations on the Saturday Night instead of Sonday.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shame as used to go from Worthing a lot 3-4 years ago, had an average meal about a year ago and not been back since

D

Deleted User X18H

Blimey this is the poster who ridicules me for LIVING near Tammy's Fish & Chip shop, who now announces he frequents a cheap Thai joint in Portslade. Glass houses?

For the record went there once not impressed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here