Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Short corners

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
A lot of our corners yesterday were played short. I don't think any of them led to anything. Looked like a bad tactic to me.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Always makes me angry when we take them short to see out time too. This never works. Surely the intelligent thing would be to launch the corner in. You might get lucky and score but more to the point the ball will be cleared away and you will 9 times out of 10 pick up the clearance

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never been a fan of short corners either. Although at matches when I voice this opinion we normally go and score from one :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Never been a fan of short corners either. Although at matches when I voice this opinion we normally go and score from one :lolol:

I remember an incident at withdean where dicker went to take a corner and lualua came short. Some guy behind me (who constantly questioned if referees knew the rules while spouting some nonsense - "throw ins can be taken anywhere in your own half", etc) loudly shouted not to bother with short corners as they never work, cue short corner to lualua who rounded his man, into the box, goal.

Short corners can be useful, pulling defenders out of the box creating space, changing the angle of the cross, giving time to set piece routines. Should mix it up, imo, though.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I remember an incident at withdean where dicker went to take a corner and lualua came short. Some guy behind me (who constantly questioned if referees knew the rules while spouting some nonsense - "throw ins can be taken anywhere in your own half", etc) loudly shouted not to bother with short corners as they never work, cue short corner to lualua who rounded his man, into the box, goal.

I wonder where this game changing player was yesterday!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You know that do you?

No, hence the question mark at the end. I'm just putting it forward as a possible explanation. I remember gus and kll talking about the charlton game, where before that KLL had a bad showing in a closed door match, and gus wasn't going to use him, then he put in a showing in training that week that convinced Gus to use him. Perhaps he isn't training well at the moment.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
No, hence the question mark at the end. I'm just putting it forward as a possible explanation. I remember gus and kll talking about the charlton game, where before that KLL had a bad showing in a closed door match, and gus wasn't going to use him, then he put in a showing in training that week that convinced Gus to use him. Perhaps he isn't training well at the moment.

Fair comment, and yes, a possible explanantion but in my opinion there is more to it than that, it seems odd that someone is a little off in training and gets punished more than someone who acts like a petulant child and keeps letting the team, management and the fans down recently, there has to be more to it than just 'poor in training'... Why would you not even include someone who can change a game with one moment of brilliance on the bench? It doesn't take a lot of training to do the customary skip past the defender and ping it into the top corner as you mentioned in a previous post, we all know he's capable, madness to not even have that quality on the bench when it may be needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here